What cartridges have you taken deer with?

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,341 Senior Member
    I got the 20ga Savage. It is a good gun, just not the same as a bolt rifle.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,181 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I got the 20ga Savage. It is a good gun, just not the same as a bolt rifle.

If you relaoded for 20 ga. there are some good components out there for it. Several slug designs that might tighten up groups considerably. BPI has a few.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Slugs-and-Components/products/71/
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

I actually have some of the Lyman cast and wads to go with it. I still need to set up my 20ga loader though.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,509 Senior Member
    I actually have some of the Lyman cast and wads to go with it. I still need to set up my 20ga loader though.

You have sabots? I can send you cast .458 bullets to go in em.
    They way the Lyman sabot slugs work is that the AA wad acts as the sabot. That shotgun only gets 1 shot in the fall to check zero. Nobody even hunted the shotgun zone with it last year and I still got plenty of the ammo from the same lot that it is sighted in with.

If I am in the rifle zone, I got a huge line of rifles that need to get bloody. No sense in messing with a shotgun with ammo that costs 8 times of what my handloads do with less accuracy and range. With that said, I am probably going to pick 2 more of those for the kids.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,912 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    All funning aside, I'm sorry that my cartridge selection offends some. Well, I'm not sorry. But, it is unfortunate.

Unfortunate that we feel the need to determine what cartridges and/or platforms (AR?) are acceptable for others to use during hunting.

In my mind, as long as the cartridge meets the regs and requirements set forth by DNR of the respective location..........shoot with whatever you so choose and from as far away or as close as tickles your fancy.

Game on!

It's science!!!!

Hey you and I have had our share of head butting, but this ain't it. Not my head butting subject. If you can shoulder it and aren't afraid of it kicking dust out of your nostrils, get after it. As long as it makes a QUICK Humane Kill, get after it.3
    I only killed one deer with my 9.3 this year, but it was a very quick clean kill. And it didn't ruin much meat on the deer either. And if you don't think a 9.3 is in a league with a .458, it's not too far off. It's still legal for the big five in most African countries, even though their minimum cal. is .375 and the 9.3 is actually a .366 Caliber.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    They way the Lyman sabot slugs work is that the AA wad acts as the sabot. That shotgun only gets 1 shot in the fall to check zero. Nobody even hunted the shotgun zone with it last year and I still got plenty of the ammo from the same lot that it is sighted in with.

If I am in the rifle zone, I got a huge line of rifles that need to get bloody. No sense in messing with a shotgun with ammo that costs 8 times of what my handloads do with less accuracy and range. With that said, I am probably going to pick 2 more of those for the kids.

It looks like we're going to allow straight walled cartridge rifles next year. 460 is on the list. So is 45-70. Sayin.
    jbohio wrote: »
    It looks like we're going to allow straight walled cartridge rifles next year. 460 is on the list. So is 45-70. Sayin.
    Nice! Michigan has been talking about it. I am sure it is just a matter of time. Maybe I will hold off on those additional 20ga slug guns and look for a Deerfield Carbine. My .460 would work sweet too!
    Nice! Michigan has been talking about it. I am sure it is just a matter of time. Maybe I will hold off on those additional 20ga slug guns and look for a Deerfield Carbine. My .460 would work sweet too!
    Bingo. And I mis-spoke. It's THIS year, here. Keep your eyes peeled for a Marlin 94 in 44mag or 45colt. Or a good deal on a guide gun. I'm in the market.
    You coming down?
    Coming down to hunt? I doubt it. We still do our annual deer camp gig up in the rifle zone and probably will for a long time. The kids will be going for the full opening weekend this year. I like the tradition. I got a few places here in the shotgun zone where I can hunt for a quick day or evening hunt-- I just didn't take advantage of it last year. Then there are the special seasons.

Keep your cell phone handy. I will be at my LGS in a couple of hours and may need to show you some stuff.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,596 Senior Member
    Bingo. And I mis-spoke. It's THIS year, here. Keep your eyes peeled for a Marlin 94 in 44mag or 45colt. Or a good deal on a guide gun. I'm in the market.
    You coming down?

?????????? Wonder if legal..................

450Bushmaster.jpg50%20Beowulf.gif
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

In usual government fashion...... I can hunt with my XDM with a 18 round magazine. Put a butt stock on it and you have to plug it to 3 rounds....... ???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,740 Senior Member
    I would be all over a Ruger No.1 Medium Sporter in .45-70 if I were you. I had one.............

Otherwise, I'd jump on a Marlin.

Or a Shiloh.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,180 Senior Member
    Hmmmmm....you can use a .45-70, a .45-90, and a .45-110....but the .45-120 isn't listed....puzzling. Of course using any of these cartridges would be completely irresponsible overkill....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Hmmmmm....you can use a .45-70, a .45-90, and a .45-110....but the .45-120 isn't listed....puzzling. Of course using any of these cartridges would be completely irresponsible overkill....

I know. Ain't it great!?

:guns:
    DSCF0530.jpg
    cpj wrote: »
    Oh, and if you are looking for a lever gun in one of those chamberings on the list....in Ohio....good luck.
    Once this passes they will bring a premium. Same goes for handi rifles.

It's already too late. I've been looking since January.
    cpj wrote: »
    I noticed the 450 marlin wasn't on the list.
    Your state is stupid.

It's belted. That's the only the thing I can figure.
    I'd love to shoot a deer with my 1881, though.
    I would be all over a Ruger No.1 Medium Sporter in .45-70 if I were you. I had one.............

Otherwise, I'd jump on a Marlin.

Or a Shiloh.

I have one of those. Fun little rifle. Too bad Ruger doesn't still make the #3 rifle; that was a handy little package!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,180 Senior Member
    It's already too late. I've been looking since January.

Come on out for a long weekend....LOTS of them in the shops out this way...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    So I was at the LGS today. No used 1894's or guide guns. No used #1's or other straight walled single shots. I did take that .338 RUM home though. Since I have that "condition" I am going to make it my squirrel rifle.

If anyone is in the market for a Savage 99 in 300 Savage, they had 2 there. One was a breakdown model (I believe).
    It seems Airedale doesn't think too highly of us. I assume it's Airdale as he claimed to be banned from here. I don't think it's Varget because he is still a member here.

This site was sent to me because it referenced this thread. There are crybabies in the world.

http://www.shootersforum.com/general-discussion/90685-banned.html
    He even directly mentions Snake.

Guess he doesn't like you much, Snake.

And Jerm, he didn't fancy your joke regarding your compensation.
    And Jerm, he didn't fancy your joke regarding your compensation.
    I am not sure what his deal is. He is still talking about my junk. I tell him repeatedly that I don't want to discuss it and he kept bringing it up. Now he is on another forum talking about it. What the hell?

Edit-- And what the heck did Snake do? What a nut job!
    I guess the difference between here and 'over there' is that quite a few of us have met face to face, broke bread together, put a LOT of projectiles downrange together, sat around a campfire being 'guys' and all that goes with that, and have had a good time doing it. And big deal if we argue like two tomcats on the back fence occasionally. We argue, learn, and if we pay attention, get some right handy information.

And we do a lot of experimenting with cartridges that don't go on with some of the other sites. I mean, where else on the internet gun forums have members shot 200 grain .358 bullets stuffed in .357 Mag. cases from a Contender and a home built rifle just to see what would happen. And the .257 Scooter cartridge went from an idea to a real working rifle in less than a year.

Anyway, I'd rather argue the points of something with someone that will challenge me and offer a different point of view, and defend that point than to just have a bunch that agrees with everything and have no real discussion to bring out the strong and weak points of a position. How can you learn when everyone is just agreeable all the time?

Oh, and if you read through the thread, it was Varget that suggested the inverse correlation between penis size and caliber size. All I did was make jokes mocking myself to point out the absurdity of that statement. So now this guy gets banned "for strongly disagreeing with a member who equated bore diameter of a rifle to penis length."
    So he disagrees with my belief that it is absurd to compare bore diameter with penis length? Meaning that he actually believes that there is an inverse correlation between bore diameter and penis length?

This is the same guy that sleeps with a 1911 under his pillow, and I jumped him a couple of weeks ago for suggesting that the "multiple projectiles" fired from a Taurus Judge were better for SD than a single one that would actually penetrate a bad guy...
    http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?18582-Which-one
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Some good quotes;

'' the person "snake284" turned out to be a judas goat. Encouraging me to voice opinions contrary to the group, while setting me up for attacks.
    The lowest of the low.''

It was ham bush, i tell yeh!!

''But they seem to have been taken over by a core group that denigrates new comers and anyone who disagrees with them.'' ......... :yikes:

''I read a few pages, seemed to be very immature almost childish-never been on that forum before.''........ Heh, pull my finger.

''You know the type where the mods are big fish in a small pond & often the worst offenders.''.......... I have always thought this.

big-fish.jpg :wink:

:devil:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    I say just be the bigger man and let it go. He was here, got his feeling hurt, left, came back, and finally got canned. Forget about him.

I read the thread Zee linked to. The comments about denigrating new comers were way off base and totally untrue. As for the "big fish, small pond" moderators: I've been reading this forum, in its various iterations, for about eight years now. I have never seen that sort of behavior from any of our moderators.

Is there sometimes some jackassery here? Sure. But that is mainly because many of the people here have met in person. What he perceived as immaturity was just joking around between people who are friends in real life, not just on a computer screen.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I guess the difference between here and 'over there' is that quite a few of us have met face to face, broke bread together, put a LOT of projectiles downrange together, sat around a campfire being 'guys' and all that goes with that, and have had a good time doing it. And big deal if we argue like two tomcats on the back fence occasionally. We argue, learn, and if we pay attention, get some right handy information.

And we do a lot of experimenting with cartridges that don't go on with some of the other sites. I mean, where else on the internet gun forums have members shot 200 grain .358 bullets stuffed in .357 Mag. cases from a Contender and a home built rifle just to see what would happen. And the .257 Scooter cartridge went from an idea to a real working rifle in less than a year.

Anyway, I'd rather argue the points of something with someone that will challenge me and offer a different point of view, and defend that point than to just have a bunch that agrees with everything and have no real discussion to bring out the strong and weak points of a position. How can you learn when everyone is just agreeable all the time?

I agree, some members here have done some really interesting things, and its been fun to be a "fly on the wall."

Wait, I disagree, because otherwise I won't learn anything.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member