What cartridges have you taken deer with?

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,644 Senior Member
    My final take on the matter.

Back up a couple years. Airedale had been a member for quite some time, and being a former Marine, I normally enjoyed reading his contributions to this forum. But late one night about two years ago, completely out of the blue, he posted a very vehement, totally uncalled for personal attack on another member here. (I do not recall who was the object of his ire, nor do I recall the exact subject of the thread.) It was a clearly bannable offence. While I was making my mind up on exactly how to proceed, several members here called him to task and he wound up apologizing. Against my better judgement, I decided to let sleeping dogs lie, and did nothing. (How's that for over-moderation?).

Over the next couple years, his postings became less frequent, more caustic, and sometimes completely bewildering. Jerm, his personal attack on you in his post just prior to me banning him wasn't the trigger. It was.....the last straw.

If banning Airedale was a mistake, I wish I'd gone with my gut and been mistaken sooner. He was a couple years past his expiration date.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,181 Senior Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    I agree, some members here have done some really interesting things, and its been fun to be a "fly on the wall."

Wait, I disagree, because otherwise I won't learn anything.

Don't agree with me! I wanna argue the merits of the .410 Rem. 870 shotgun I have, and handload 2 1/2" shells for it with #9 shot to take bumble bees and carpenter bees on the wing! The small shot damages less meat!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,425 Senior Member
    .243 Win (100gr Win. Power Points, factory)
    7mm08 Rem. (140gr Power Points, 150gr Speer Hot Core, 140gr "Fusion," all factory)

They all worked if I did my part. My favorite by far is the 7mm-08 with 140gr Fusion ammo. I do plan to work up a good 120gr handload for this fall. I'm thinking that a Sierra GameKing will work just fine.

Cartridges I plan to use on deer:
    .223 (60gr Nosler Partition)
    .44 Magnum (240gr)
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Don't agree with me! I wanna argue the merits of the .410 Rem. 870 shotgun I have, and handload 2 1/2" shells for it with #9 shot to take bumble bees and carpenter bees on the wing! The small shot damages less meat!

#9 shot? Pffft. Use rock salt. Really make it a challenge, and season the meat to boot!
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    .243 Win (100gr Win. Power Points, factory)

That is a deer killin' load, right there. I used to know a kid that hunted deer with that chambering/load exclusively, and he wasn't exactly what I'd call "pin-point accurate" with it. I promise you, if you don't hold right, that load messes up more deer meat than any .458 load out there.
    N454casull
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    #9 shot? Pffft. Use rock salt. Really make it a challenge, and season the meat to boot!

No- - -No - - - -No! Rock salt needs to be a component of the handload for those uber-magnums like the Lazer-Rooney offerings! It preserves the meat while the hunter hikes over two mountains and a couple of valleys to do the field-dressing!
    :tooth:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

Absolutely NO to rock salt! It's hygroscopic and if you don't seal the end of the shotshell water tight it will make one HUGE clump. If you're on target on the bee, you completely obliterate ALL the choice cuts! Meat damage is catastrophic! :silly: :tooth:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,757 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    DSCF0530.jpg

If that is yours, then I absolutely hate you. I want one of those SOOOO bad.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,509 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

My LGS has them on sale this month. :tooth:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,007 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    My LGS has them on sale this month. :tooth:

What is it, a Savage? Define "on-sale" please.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,180 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I am not sure what his deal is. He is still talking about my junk. I tell him repeatedly that I don't want to discuss it and he kept bringing it up. Now he is on another forum talking about it. What the hell?

Edit-- And what the heck did Snake do? What a nut job!

In spite of your protests, he's made your junk famous across the internet....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,596 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

No. I once held a 788 in .44 magnum (a .30-.30 right beside it) in my hand but didn't buy it. What would I have used it for.............. then???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,341 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    In spite of your protests, he's made your junk famous across the internet....
    You must live a sheltered life.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,180 Senior Member
    You must live a sheltered life.

OK.....in a very small part of the internet....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 10 AC10 AC Member Posts: 309 Member
    Ok first off I've been a member for some time. don't post alot but do come and read here quite abit. I went to one of the SE Shoots a couple years back, and ya'll are a great bunch, with a lot of experince and knowledge. I always learn quite a bit when I am here. I like the way ya'll cut up and carry on. Some people though, well they just don't get it.
    This has been a very entertaining and informative read for sure. Now the closest thing to an elephant gun that have, is a Marlin 444, and yes have taken a deer with it, pretty devastating to say the least.
    I have also used,
    12 ga with a slug
    30-30
    35 Rem
    30-06
    357 Mag, rifle, 158gr hard cast at about 85 yds through the neck, complete pass through. He ran maybe 45, 50 yds.
    54 cal BP 460gr Bufflao Bullet
    41 Mag Ruger BH
    44 Mag Ruger SBH

This past deer season I used three different cal. and took four deer
    Teach
    If you don't have a C&R FFL,you really need to consider getting one----it's a license to spend money, though.
    I shot a mouse a few minutes ago with a Chinese spring air .177 cal. air pistol at about 10 feet. DRT kill, but pretty massive damage as it was a 'Texas heart shot. Too gory to post after action pictures. Over penetration was readily apparent as the pellet went completely through end to end and imbedded in a piece of wood I use as a backer for my tool block.

The pellets I'm using weigh 7.9 grains. Anybody got a source for pellets weighing half or less than that? Maybe .177 cal. is overbore and I should maybe see if I can find one in .1 cal.? Mice are pretty small critters.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    Better keep the big artillery in case of a rat.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    Better keep the big artillery in case of a rat.

Rats around here walk on their hind legs and don't have a nekkid tail stickin' out the back. I got their 'prescription' covered. :tooth:
    Guess I'll just use the Crosman pump pellet pistol for mice. I can regulate the power with how many pumps I give it. Regarding the one I killed, it was so messed up the cat didn't want anything to do with it. He likes to kill them, but doesn't eat them.

CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    What is it, a Savage? Define "on-sale" please.

Ruger 77/44. They have them for $629.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,007 Senior Member
    Ruger 77/44. They have them for $629.

Dang, I remember when they were $500.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,735 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I shot a mouse a few minutes ago with a Chinese spring air .177 cal. air pistol at about 10 feet. DRT kill, but pretty massive damage as it was a 'Texas heart shot. Too gory to post after action pictures. Over penetration was readily apparent as the pellet went completely through end to end and imbedded in a piece of wood I use as a backer for my tool block.

The pellets I'm using weigh 7.9 grains. Anybody got a source for pellets weighing half or less than that? Maybe .177 cal. is overbore and I should maybe see if I can find one in .1 cal.? Mice are pretty small critters.

Chew a small piece of paper into a wad, push it down the barrel with a piece of plastic coated wire. Pour some #8 or 9 lead shot on top, put another wad of paper over the top and go mouse hunting.

Range is limited to about 12-15 feet but it does kill mice............and birds in the orchidhouses. Also works well on bumblebees, wasps and hornets............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Whitetail, muley, blacktail, fallow, axis, etc................deer.

What cartridges have you used to take the deer in your hunting exploits?

My list:

.223 Rem
    .22-250
    .243 Win
    .25-06 Rem
    .260 Rem
    .270 Win
    7mm-08 Rem
    .280 Rem
    7mm Rem Mag
    7mm RUM
    .30-30 Win
    .308 Win
    .30-06 Spr
    .300 Win Mag
    .300 RUM
    .35 Rem
    .375 Ruger
    .44 Mag
    .45-70
    .458 Win Mag

Edit: Since folks are adding shotshells.
    20gr (Buck)
    12ga (Buck/Slug)

Which ones make up you list?

(I think we did this a couple forum iterations ago. But, my list has updated since then..........and since they are working on restoring the archives............)

You suck! LOL

I've used

12ga (00 buckshot)
    .44 mag (two different rifles)
    .45-70

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,912 Senior Member
    Actually, one of the reasons my cartridge deer are 06 is because that is what I had for a loooong time. 1 rifle. Used to ground hog hunt with it, take it to turkey shoots, it was all I had. Hitting a ground hog facing you in the jaw with a early Nosler 165gr BT makes the damage on that deer look like a graze.

Yes its overkill, point is?

I have seen a lot more meat wasted with 30/30's and 243's than what was gone in that gaping hole when 3 boxes of cartridges are launched in its general direction.

I hate to revive this part of this thread because it was so far back and Varget went away. But browsing thru for strictly entertainment purposes (Yeah some of this IS actually entertaining and I get bored) I saw this and thought, "I've seen much worse meat damage on animals from small high velocity bullets hitting a bone than this. I've blown the back strap right out of a deer with a 6mm Remington. And that's judged by our peers as a fine deer rifle. Of course I killed a lot of deer with it with little meat damage too, but the same can be said for the .458 Win. Mag. Too much GUN? Like I said in another post, maybe a nuclear device of some sort.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,912 Senior Member
    No, actually... my penis is so small that he would have never seen anything (all that wanking makes you go blind). He must have had a glance of the toothpick in my hand.

Have you thought about trying some Testosterone supplements? :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    "I've seen much worse meat damage on animals from small high velocity bullets hitting a bone than this. I've blown the back strap right out of a deer with a 6mm Remington. And that's judged by our peers as a fine deer rifle. t.

Like I've said here for years, the consistently worst beat-up deer I've seen were killed with a .243 Win loaded with 100 grain Win Power Points. And I've seen deer zapped with a .300 Rum and a .30-378 Wby. The one I saw shot with the Wby was a bad hit, too. Destroyed a fair amount of meat. But not like that kid with the .243, though. That kid landed more meat on the trees than he did on his plate.

Mike
    N454casull
    Waa, frickin waa. Our whole state has been that way for 50 years. Rifles don't kill em any more deader.

Still. True. However, I can't reload 12 ga sabots for 20¢ a piece.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    Does a pickup count?
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    If we can use a shotgun, handgun, or muzzle loader that can shoot a bullet just as far as a 45/70 or whatever, they should at least let us use rifles with straight walled cartridges. I would be owning a Ruger 44/77 in a heartbeat.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    .243 Win.
    .257 Robts.
    .25-06 Rem
    .260 Rem.
    6.5x284 Norma
    .270 Win.
    7mm-08 Rem.
    .30-30 Win.
    .45-70 Gov't.

Dang, I'm slacking. Gonna have to add to that list this year.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns: