What cartridges have you taken deer with?

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,497 Senior Member
    Varget wrote: »
    Obviously overcompensating for a lack thereof……
    I have a tiny penis.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,143 Senior Member
    What am I undercompensating for when I use a .22-250?

How about when I use my bow?

Please, do tell? What am I under or over compensating for in my cartridge selection?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • VargetVarget Member Posts: 99 Member
    Thanks for the pics, you just proved my point. Looks like you got lucky and made a gut shot. If you would have hit the deer where you were supposed to, you wouldn't be able to eat the whole front end. Walk into 99% of ANY deer camp in America with a .458 Win Mag and get laughed out the door. What a joke.
    Probably hunt quail with a 10 gauge, after all a quail can't ever be to dead.
    Actually, you can make a practical quail load for a 10 gauge but you can't make a .410 act like a goose gun.
    So just so I am straight here, you think an exit hole the size of a watermelon is not too much gun for what an 100 lb. whitetail doe?
    Thanks for the pics, you just proved my point. Looks like you got lucky and made a gut shot. If you would have hit the deer where you were supposed to, you wouldn't be able to eat the whole front end. Walk into 99% of ANY deer camp in America with a .458 Win Mag and get laughed out the door. What a joke.

You need to learn your anatomy.

The entrance is right behind the left shoulder. See the entrance? With the side removed, yo see that nice hole through the middle of the lungs? That's where the bullet went.

The round exited back side of the lungs/ribs on the right side. The temporary cavity destroyed the diaphragm and ruptured the intestines. It was a perfect behind the shoulder shot that demonstrated the result of a large projectile pushing it's way through internal organs. Very interesting to me.

You can find diagrams on the internet if you look them up. I'd recommend that you do. You seem to have a lack of understanding in regards to deer anatomy.

I don't see the joke. Oh, and you are still avoiding all my questions. Why is that? Do you not have answers?
    Walk into 99% of ANY deer camp in America with a .458 Win Mag and get laughed out the door. What a joke.
    That means that 99% of deer camps are ignorant. How about someone showing up with a 72 caliber rifle that fires off 500 grain bullets going 2000fps? Nobody bats an eye when they show up with those.
    So just so I am straight here, you think an exit hole the size of a watermelon is not too much gun for what an 100 lb. whitetail doe?

Nope. It exited right where I wanted it to. Right through the ribs.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,392 Senior Member
    Wow.

Never thought about it but I have taken more deer with different sizes of patched round ball than different cartridges. Rifles is a bit different, but they all were chambered in 30-06. Loaded for cartridges that took deer, 243, 30-30, and 25-06, but personally, just one.

Hmmmmm. The quest for the 32 Winchester Special just got a boost, after the smooth bore flintlock which will be 62 cal.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Remember the watermelon size hole, that is your answer on too much gun. I do know my anatomy, if you think those are lungs having out of that hole, you need to go back to school. And to me the joke is you shooting a 100 lb. (maybe) whitetail doe with a round "normal" hunters would use for ELEPHANT and dangerous game. Hope that answers all your questions.
    Remember the watermelon size hole, that is your answer on too much gun. I do know my anatomy, if you think those are lungs having out of that hole, you need to go back to school. And to me the joke is you shooting a 100 lb. (maybe) whitetail doe with a round "normal" hunters would use for ELEPHANT and dangerous game. Hope that answers all your questions.

So, the exit whole determines adequate cartridge selection? What is the preferred size of an exit wound?

Nope. Those are intestines hanging out the exit wound. The bullet passed through the lungs. See that hole in the lungs? And the temporary cavity and hydrostatic shock was enough to disrupt the diaphragm and break several ribs. Allowing the intestines to protrude outside the body cavity.

If you think this endeavor was a joke, that is perfectly fine with me. I'll continue to do what I do and entertain you to your hearts content. It makes no never mind to me.
    Not the size you could drive a volkswagon through. I haven't met to many people that think blowing the guts out of a deer is an ideal shot. There's a first for everything I guess. And I am sure you will continue, that's what guys like you do.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    ........... What else would you like me to eat?

Your hat.

(The Savage one.)

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,798 Senior Member
    Wow! You guys kill lots of deer with lots of guns.

I've killed one with a .30-06. For me, variety would consist of actually killing deer. I'll mix up the gun when I've got better than a 3% chance.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Wow! We have gone from a hole the size if a watermelon (already an errant exaggeration) to one a Volkswagen could drive through? What's next? A bus?

Ok, so according to your stipulations, if I can drive a Yugo, or a go cart, or a motorcycle, or even a moped through the exit would, I'm good to go? Is this your personal definition? Or possibly some fish and game law that I have unknowingly overlooked. Am I to base my cartridge selection on YOUR preferences? What would you suggest I use and how did you come to that conclusion?

Seeing as how I am not bound by your preferences, yes.......I will continue to do what I do and test various cartridges and the terminal performance they cause. Knowledge is power and it's fun. Science is interesting. I'm sorry you don't approve. I'm weeping.........really.
    shush wrote: »
    Your hat.

(The Savage one.)

Some things.........I cannot stomach.
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    If you pause the video at the right time, you can actually see part of the guts hanging out of the exit wound. Kinda cool.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    Your obviously a young whipper snapper aren't you? Just guessing but I would say around 30 years old or less. Am I far off? I know your kind, been around them way too much. Let's say the deer was quartering the other way, so when you made that so called "lung shot" don't you think there probably wouldn't be much to eat on the front end of that deer? I have to say in all the years I have been deer hunting, you top the cake, shooting deer with a .458 win mag and proud of it. I can honestly say you are the first person I have ever heard shooting a deer with this caliber. Remember one of my first posts, when I said you would tell me about all the edible meat on that deer. You are too predictable.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    .22-250 rem.
    .243 win.
    .25-06 rem.
    .270 win.
    .357 mag.
    10mm

If I owned a .458 win. mag., I'd certainly use it on deer given the chance.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,285 Senior Member
    Just for the record. If I owned a .458 Win Mag, I'd shoot a deer with it. Because, see....there ain't no elephants in Colorado.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Your obviously a young whipper snapper aren't you? Just guessing but I would say around 30 years old or less. Am I far off? I know your kind, been around them way too much. Let's say the deer was quartering the other way, so when you made that so called "lung shot" don't you think there probably wouldn't be much to eat on the front end of that deer? I have to say in all the years I have been deer hunting, you top the cake, shooting deer with a .458 win mag and proud of it. I can honestly say you are the first person I have ever heard shooting a deer with this caliber. Remember one of my first posts, when I said you would tell me about all the edible meat on that deer. You are too predictable.

Nope. Unfortunately, I am not young anymore. Much to my displeasure. And I'm no longer in my mothers basement. Sorry. You're off on the age.

Just for clarification, what is "my kind"? This intrigues me.

Do you deny that I put that round through the lungs?

I waited for the angle I wanted. One that would allow me to put the round behind the shoulder and not ruin shoulder meat. Something I try to do with most every cartridge I hunt with. Unless I'm head shooting (which might rev you up even more.). Most any round through the shoulder will ruin some degree of meat. I don't eat the ribs on deer, so I shoot them through the ribs (lungs), behind the shoulders.

Im in glad I could be a first for you. Learning is wonderful!

Curious.......I'm predictable in what way?
    Varget, was this too much gun?

Copyof280Rem140grBergerHeadShot01-133.jpg

It's got to be at least motorcycle with side car size. According to your way of measuring. No?
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,327 Senior Member

Please tell us what your preferred cartridge is and what is the "biggest" you have used.

If it is any larger than a .243 Win., don't bother replying, as you have probably used WAY too much gun.
    All funning aside, I'm sorry that my cartridge selection offends some. Well, I'm not sorry. But, it is unfortunate.

Unfortunate that we feel the need to determine what cartridges and/or platforms (AR?) are acceptable for others to use during hunting.

In my mind, as long as the cartridge meets the regs and requirements set forth by DNR of the respective location..........shoot with whatever you so choose and from as far away or as close as tickles your fancy.

Game on!

It's science!!!!
    Your kind: a smart alek know it all in too many of your posts.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,604 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    6.5x55
    7mm08
    12g

Oooops............left out the 22-250
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,533 Senior Member
    .30-06
    12 ga
    This message has been deleted
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,882 Senior Member

Sad to say that you have made several assumptions in this thread.
    Your stubbornness and or pride (can't know for sure if is one, both or neither since I can't know your heart).
    Attitudes can exist that are so strong that the one holding it is blind, when in fact they are convinced they see.
    Sometimes it is good to take a deep breath and relax.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,420 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Whitetail, muley, blacktail, fallow, axis, etc................deer.

What cartridges have you used to take the deer in your hunting exploits?

My list:

.223 Rem
    .22-250
    .243 Win
    .25-06 Rem
    .260 Rem
    .270 Win
    7mm-08 Rem
    .280 Rem
    7mm Rem Mag
    7mm RUM
    .30-30 Win
    .308 Win
    .30-06 Spr
    .300 Win Mag
    .300 RUM
    .35 Rem
    .375 Ruger
    .44 Mag
    .45-70
    .458 Win Mag

Edit: Since folks are adding shotshells.
    20gr (Buck)
    12ga (Buck/Slug)

Which ones make up you list?

(I think we did this a couple forum iterations ago. But, my list has updated since then..........and since they are working on restoring the archives............)
    Wait....I thought you got one with the Gibbs....yes?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,227 Senior Member

Your kind: throws bombs then runs, avoids direct questions to avoid looking like an idiot.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee