What cartridges have you taken deer with?

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,541 Senior Member
    Varget wrote: »
    Your kind: a smart alek know it all in too many of your posts.

Don't bring me into your stupid argument...................If I want in I will take the 10.75X68 out this weekend and get myself some rabbits............( Actually I think I might do that)

Alec.

( By the way, the term is 'Smart Alec'.........)

Hmmmmmm by your argument I guess I shouldn't have shot the last Deer with a 204...........I mean, its smaller than a .22.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,282 Senior Member
    Seriously. My penis is small. It is so small that I can justify owning any big bore or safari grade cartridge I want.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,789 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Wait....I thought you got one with the Gibbs....yes?

You mean the .404 Jeffery?

No, I let BigBoreShooter borrow my rifle. He shot the deer with my gun.

I do still need to shoot one with that .404 Jeffery. Maybe next year.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • VargetVarget Member Posts: 99 Member
    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's usually a duck. Notice the trend? I only see one post of a guy boasting of shooting a whitetail with an elephant gun and wants an explanation as to why I believe it's too much gun. And I still can't be to far of on the age.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Seriously. My penis is small. It is so small that I can justify owning any big bore or safari grade cartridge I want.

Small is ok..............if you handload.............
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,568 Senior Member
    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's usually a duck. Notice the trend? I only see one post of a guy boasting of shooting a whitetail with an elephant gun and wants an explanation as to why I believe it's too much gun. And I still can't be to far of on the age.
    What's too much gun?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    As far as elephant guns go, lots were shot with a 7x57. But wait, that's not an elephant gun.
    Zee

Hmmm, this is unfortunate.

Please, while you are defining what cartridges I am allowed to hunt deer with, would you please set the parameters in which I may post as well. Might as well make my whole box to live in since we are here.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,213 Senior Member
    And I still can't be to far of on the age.

Well....according to your profile, you're 39. That's a young whippersnapper in these parts to a lot of us. You might want to rethink the age thing.

Just saying.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,293 Senior Member
    So, would #6 shot in a shotgun at 6 feet be too little gun?
    This message has been deleted

Well, my next rifle to be blooded will be the Pre 64 Mod 70 in 375 H&H Magnum........on a fallow deer spiker.

Wanna guess my age???
    orchidman wrote: »
    Small is ok..............if you handload.............
    I am actually glad. If not, I would be stuck hunting elk with a .22lr and it would make make Mrs. Jerm uncomfortable during "relations". It must be quite a burden hauling around a giant wanker. It seems rather limiting.
    You guys are way to easy. I love it.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,887 Senior Member
    6.5 Grendel
    7mm IHMSA (3 Axis deer only 2 shots)
    7x57
    30-30 Win
    30-06
    50 Beowulf
    forgot
    50 Cal ML using both full bore Maxi-Ball and .429 HPs
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,178 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    All funning aside, I'm sorry that my cartridge selection offends some.

Oh BS :jester: You HAD to know someone was going to get all butt hurt about blasting Bambi with an elephant gun....ain't the first time it happened :tooth:

Now...on to you Varget....you have yet to answer the question about using .72 caliber rifles with 500 grain bullets (12 gauge shotguns with rifled barrels using slugs)...it happens all over the country, every season....are all those folks "over gunned" too?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    Explain if you would...
    You guys are way to easy. I love it.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yep I seem to remember a thread on the old forum about a .416 rigby. Glad I could help you guys relive some old times.

Now...on to you Varget....you have yet to answer the question about using .72 caliber rifles with 500 grain bullets

Uhhh....he's not really here to answer any questions. His contribution here is simply his entertainment value.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    Jermanator wrote: »

He's being serious. I've seen it. No Not on purpose, it was an accident. He turned around before zipping. But I digress.
    It's tiny. Like so small I couldn't make fun of it small. I felt bad for him.
    Zee
    Yep I seem to remember a thread on the old forum about a .416 rigby. Glad I could help you guys relive some old times.

Correction, good man...........it was a .404 Jeffery. Stem to stern. At like 25 yards.........give or take a few.
    He's being serious.
    Correction, good man...........it was a .404 Jeffery. Stem to stern. At like 25 yards.........give or take a few.

IIRC, you'd already shot it with a .270, but the beast closed the distance by ten yards. You went to your backup gun. I recall it well now. It was a near thing.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter

Oh, I'll ask again.......do you deny that I put that 500gr bullet out of the .458 WM through that deer's lungs?
    Linefinder wrote: »
    IIRC, you'd already shot it with a .270, but the beast closed the distance by ten yards. You went to your backup gun. I recall it well now. It was a near thing.

Mike
    Yes. We intentionally pissed it off with the .270 Win. Makes for a more sporting endeavor.
    Oh....to answer your original question.............

.30-30 Win
    .32 Win Spl
    .308 Win
    .270 Win

I really want to get one with my 6mm Rem (only antegoats with it so far) simply to get off this Win suffix kick.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Being from Illinois, the majority of my deer have been harvested here with shotguns.
    Certain handgun cartridges are also legal here and I've hunted Missouri since the 80's so have a little experience
    hunting deer with rifles and SP's there.

12 ga slugs
    16 ga slugs
    20 ga slugs

243 Win.
    6.5x284
    7 TCU
    7-30 Waters
    7-08
    7 Rem. Mag.
    30 Herrett
    30-30
    308 Win.
    30-06
    357 Mag.
    375 Win.
    44 Mag
    45-70
    50 Cal. in-line ML
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,204 Senior Member
    Wow Zee. Even after all this time, your 404 deer still manages to rile folks. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
    Oh BS :jester: You HAD to know someone was going to get all butt hurt about blasting Bambi with an elephant gun....ain't the first time it happened :tooth:

In truth, I honestly thought we had moved beyond that on this forum. You know, telling guys how far they can shoot game and what cartridges they can use. Things like that. I felt we had worked past all that crap.

Guess not.
    In truth, I honestly thought we had moved beyond that on this forum. You know, telling guys how far they can shoot game and what cartridges they can use. Things like that. I felt we had worked past all that crap.

What a buffoon.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,204 Senior Member
    Wait this was a 458 deer? That's right because I'm remembering the Jeffrey deer.

Ok. Now you're a scum bag.