What cartridges have you taken deer with?

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,086 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Goats out to 400+ yards...............Not small goats either, the 22-250 dropped them on the spot.

Talking of that 'goat' place...............The population is climbing, get yourself over here and we can go down and thin them out with the following. 204, 222, 22-250, 7mm08, 308, 30.06, 375 H&H, maybe even rile them up with the 270 if I get it scoped........

Hell, we could really go to town on ballistic testing cos there is no shortage of targets.!

The .375 would be fun! The others are probably common place on those hunts. But, who stalks the cliffs with a vintage .375 H&H in search of goats?! That, would be fun.

I know you have a smorgasbord of targets. That one terminal ballistics site I linked to you is based down there. They shoot quite a few ferrel goats for testing.

That at would be an educational trip for sure.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,364 Senior Member
    Also, I have shot most of my deer with my old trusty .270 Winchester Model 70 Post 63 Push feed. The next Most successes I've had were with my old 6mm Remington which I lost in a divorce because I didn't take it with me out of the house when we split up. The next down would be my old .223 Remington Model 788, another victim of my divorce. Then my 22-250 would be next. Also I've killed a couple with my .257 Bob AI which I had built by my gun smith on a Yugo Mauser action with a Shilen heavey sporter contour SS barrel. Oh yeah forgot about my 94 Angle Eject 30-30 Win. It too has killed deer. Just not recently. Now if you're talking hogs, it's a bit different ballgame. I've killed Hogs with several rifles that have never seen a deer through their sites. My .280 Remington has killed a few, as has my ,30-06, my .250 Savage and my 8x57 Mauser. And as with deer, my .270 is the leader for hogs.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Regardless the Side Show, it has been fun seeing all the different cartridges (big and small) the folks here have used to take deer.

Very informative, enlightening, and enabling for me. Thanks for the participation.

I myself elf enjoy using as many different chamberings as I can get my hands on. Just more knowledge and experience for the brain.

Thanks again. Keep them coming. I think we are back on subject again.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,440 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Meat Gazer!!!!
    No, actually... my penis is so small that he would have never seen anything (all that wanking makes you go blind). He must have had a glance of the toothpick in my hand.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,001 Senior Member
    I have used, 25.06
    30/06
    .35 Whelen
    .375 H&H
    .41 rem. mag
    .44 rem mag
    .45 colt
    .454 Casull
    12 ga. slugs
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,161 Senior Member
    I've shot two with my .357. (Blackhawk, 4-5/8" barrel)
    First one was 20ish yard. I shot unknown reloads from my uncle. Never shot them before. I'll never do that again. First shot was way back and way high, breaking the spine. Next shot was in the neck.

Second was 158 Remmington jacketed lead hollow point, the "scalloped" looking ones. Hit the heart, it ran 75-ish yards.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    Interesting reading. Did the Troll go away now? If he finds out that I have killed 7 deer with my Small 444Marlin, will I get the over gunned lashing?
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,001 Senior Member
    Riflemann wrote: »
    Interesting reading. Did the Troll go away now? If he finds out that I have killed 7 deer with my Small 444Marlin, will I get the over gunned lashing?

I shot 2 mule deer does with my .375H&H to see how the 235gr. Barnes X bullets performed that I reloaded. Worked great.
    I don't know about overkill, they only can die one degree of dead!
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,634 Senior Member
    30-30, 7mm Rem Mag, 76 GMC ( I was on the way to the hunting camp), 05 Escape.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,502 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Whoa there Bub! Care to expand on that?

To me, that tells me that our current rabble rouser is someone that HAS been kicked off the board, or was friends with someone that was.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Jermanator wrote: »
    No, actually... my penis is so small that he would have never seen anything (all that wanking makes you go blind). He must have had a glance of the toothpick in my hand.

"Not small! Thin!!!"

:namethatmovie:
    I shot 2 mule deer does with my .375H&H to see how the 235gr. Barnes X bullets performed that I reloaded. Worked great.
    I don't know about overkill, they only can die one degree of dead!

I think I love you.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,170 Senior Member
    Been busy this morning; decided to take a break.

The absolute worst damage I've seen has been done with 12 ga. 2 3/4" max load rifled slug loads. Back in the early 80s my Dad, a few friends, and I did a lot of deer hunting at Ft. Campbell. Slugs only or archery except on a couple of holiday weeks. The deer were small from over population. The slugs made a sizable hole going in and a huge hole exiting. If you shot one running away from you the slug tended to liquify everything inside the deer from stern to stem. Made field dressing one pretty messy. I always tried for a lung shot to damage the least meat.

A couple of the guys hunted with 20 ga. shotguns, and the damage was just as bad from them. Seemed that the slow large diameter soft slugs from both 12 and 20 ga. were pretty much equal at their ability to turn organs to liquified goop. (That's why my HD shotgun is loaded with them; I've seen what they do to internal organs.)
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

Zee wrote: »
    Regardless the Side Show, it has been fun seeing all the different cartridges (big and small) the folks here have used to take deer.

Very informative, enlightening, and enabling for me. Thanks for the participation.

I myself elf enjoy using as many different chamberings as I can get my hands on. Just more knowledge and experience for the brain. Thanks again. Keep them coming. I think we are back on subject again.
    This is my bag too. I could have killed everything I've killed with any one of my rifles and wouldn't have had to go to the expense of spending several thousands of dollars on OTHER guns. But what a boring life that would be. I too enjoy trying different chamberings with different weight and style bullets and seeing how they do on game. To each his own, but that's just my bag. That's a big part of my kicks so to speak. And I don't believe I've seen any chambering listed on this thread that could be considered "OVER GUNNING!" In fact, I don't know what would qualify in that respect; maybe a nuclear device of some sort.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,858 Senior Member
    What cracked me about about the side show (besides the inability to determine parts on a deer's body), is in our country's heritage our forefathers used very large diameter pieces of lead to kill things with.
    I guess I need to pull out the 375 Snipe-Tac specialty pistol for some critters this year.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,965 Senior Member
    Varget wrote: »
    You guys are way to easy. I love it.

This is why I would :banned: you right now. You have been here before and came back specifically to smiley-proser.gif

anonymous.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    This is why I would :banned: you right now. You have been here before and came back specifically to smiley-proser.gif

anonymous.jpg
    That's funny.

But maybe we should be nice to Bosworth....
    (Yes, no, maybe?)
    Zee
    So to answer the thread....
    7mm08
    30-30 both from a rifle and a handgun
    357 mag.
    45-70 (which is DANGEROUSLY encroaching on a 458 Winchester elephant gun)
    50 caliber round ball
    12 gauge slug. Lots of them.
    40 smith and Wesson if a cous de gras to the head counts.
    7.62x39
    Zee
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,440 Senior Member
    We used to have a member here named 375RUM. Guess what he used on deer culls?
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,199 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    40 smith and Wesson if a coup de gras to the head counts.
    I forgot using that one myself
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,240 Senior Member
    Never did say what the dividing line was for being over-gunned. I vote for the 155 howitzer, pretty sure the meat damage would be pretty heavy from one of those.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,225 Senior Member
    .30-30
    .30-06
    .300 Win Mag
    .300 RUM
    7mm Rem Mag
    7mm RUM

Here's a pic of a head shot with the 7mm RUM at 250 yards.

dangersofhighpowerrifles-1.jpg
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,858 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    smiley-proser.gif

anonymous.jpg

Made me chuckle:agree:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,965 Senior Member
    I want to try a 12 pound mountain howitzer........ even though it's already been done..... http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

howitz1.jpgballssm.jpgcansm.jpgdeer1.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,258 Senior Member
    30-30
    .270 (amazing, isn't it?)
    7mm Remington Magnum
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,363 Senior Member
    [QUOTE=snake28. And I don't believe I've seen any chambering listed on this thread that could be considered "OVER GUNNING!" In fact, I don't know what would qualify in that respect; maybe a nuclear device of some sort.[/QUOTE]

I didn't list it cause the only thing I killed with it was PD. A good friend of mine used my single shot .50 BMG mounted in his tree stand and took a 125lb. Wisc. doe at about 30-40yds, no expansion like you took a 1/2" drill and bored a hole in it.
    The load was 224gr H-5010 behind a 750gr A-MAX.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    D-wad, you're in the wrong forum to be preaching that crap. If you've been here before and are back for revenge you're still in the wrong forum. Nobody with half a brain here will listen to your BS. So be a nice guy and go play marbles on the interstate.
    twa wrote: »

Here's a pic of a head shot with the 7mm RUM at 250 yards.

One of my best friends shot a whitetail doe at 60 yards in the head with a 7mmSTW. It was worse than your shot. It was pretty much a disintegrating decapitation.

...and he caught it on video.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I forgot using that one myself

Oddly enough, so have I. Glock 22 with a Winchester Silvertip.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,258 Senior Member
    To all forum members, my apologies for coming late to this show. However, after reading through the posts between Zee and brother Varget, as well as being familiar with Zee's previous exploits, I have to say I am saddened and somewhat dismayed by the soulless behavior perpetrated by Zee. As such, I have no option other than to side with my soon to be good buddy Varget. He is truly a man of great vision and intestinal fortitude. I only hope that he reads this post, and accepts it in the spirit it is being presented.

I think it only fitting that you, Zee, should repent for your actions. There is absolutely no valid reason for using a firearm capable of stopping a locomotive in its tracks to slaughter a diminutive woodland creature such as a Texas whitetail doe. It's just not right.

As an act of penance, here is what I recommend. You should spend 30 days in the remote and wild jungles of central America. Alone, and naked with the exception of wearing only a breech clout. Your only weapon will be a single flint tipped spear. Your diet will consist of whatever native insects, nuts, fruits, berries and roots you can find, with the occasional feast of Tapir testicles. Nothing else should enter your mouth.

Once this penance has been performed, and confirmed by brother Varget or his designee, your future deer hunting should only be done with the .308 Winchester. It is well known that you are very familiar with this cartridge, and are quite capable with it. And, in our humble opinion, it is quite adequate for the smallish Texas hill county deer which you hunt. The only exception is that you should not be allowed to use the Hornady A-Max bullet for ANY hunting purposes, as it is a well established fact that his bullet is not suitable for anything other than punching holes in paper.

I hope I have made myself clear.

Carry on.

[edited to add]

Under no circumstances should you attempt any shot longer than 100 yards.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.