What cartridges have you taken deer with?

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,821 Senior Member
    PussInBoots1.gif
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,633 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    To all forum members, my apologies for coming late to this show. However, after reading through the posts between Zee and brother Varget, as well as being familiar with Zee's previous exploits, I have to say I am saddened and somewhat dismayed by the soulless behavior perpetrated by Zee. As such, I have no option other than to side with my soon to be good buddy Varget. He is truly a man of great vision and intestinal fortitude. I only hope that he reads this post, and accepts it in the spirit it is being presented.

I think it only fitting that you, Zee, should repent for your actions. There is absolutely no valid reason for using a firearm capable of stopping a locomotive in its tracks to slaughter a diminutive woodland creature such as a Texas whitetail doe. It's just not right.

As an act of penance, here is what I recommend. You should spend 30 days in the remote and wild jungles of central America. Alone, and naked with the exception of wearing only a breech clout. Your only weapon will be a single flint tipped spear. Your diet will consist of whatever native insects, nuts, fruits, berries and roots you can find, with the occasional feast of Tapir testicles. Nothing else should enter your mouth.

Once this penance has been performed, and confirmed by brother Varget or his designee, your future deer hunting should only be done with the .308 Winchester. It is well known that you are very familiar with this cartridge, and are quite capable with it. And, in our humble opinion, it is quite adequate for the smallish Texas hill county deer which you hunt. The only exception is that you should not be allowed to use the Hornady A-Max bullet for ANY hunting purposes, as it is a well established fact that his bullet is not suitable for anything other than punching holes in paper.

I hope I have made myself clear.

Carry on.

[edited to add]

Under no circumstances should you attempt any shot longer than 100 yards.
    Breechclout. It's breechclout. Not breech clout.
    If you're gonna use them 5 dollar words and try to confuse the unwashed masses, at least use them properly. Because when we google it to see what the hell the word means, we will find out you missspilled the word.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    And often be subjected to unsavory images.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I want to try a 12 pound mountain howitzer........ even though it's already been done..... http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

howitz1.jpgballssm.jpgcansm.jpgdeer1.jpg

I'm calling BS on the shot deer. Look at the impact wounds. They are all spitting images of themselves. All the way down to the little white dot in the center and red smear at the bottom of each one.

Raising the BS flag. Can I get a ruling?
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    I'm pretty boring compared to most of you.

.30-06
    .300 Weatherby Mag.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,207 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Breechclout. It's breechclout. Not breech clout.
    If you're gonna use them 5 dollar words and try to confuse the unwashed masses, at least use them properly. Because when we google it to see what the hell the word means, we will find out you missspilled the word.

We? Google?

Splain, please?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Test UserTest User New Member Posts: 33 Member
    Varget wrote: »
    Wouldn't want to get kicked off the forum for speaking my beliefs or hurting anyones feelings (which is common practice here). So I am done with this post. Who knows maybe I don't even hunt or maybe I use a 17 hmr or a 375 h&h mag.

1381568042982.png
    Test User wrote: »
    1381568042982.png
    ok, that was funny.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,198 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I'm calling BS on the shot deer. Look at the impact wounds. They are all spitting images of themselves. All the way down to the little white dot in the center and red smear at the bottom of each one.

Man! I can't believe this. You mean you don't believe everything you read on the internet??? :rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty sure I've seen that picture somewhere before. I, too, call BS.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,924 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Oddly enough, so have I. Glock 22 with a Winchester Silvertip.
    Mine was also a G22, but with a Georgia Arms 155 Gold Dot load
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,221 Senior Member
    I don't know about you guys, but I think I showed remarkable restraint on this thread.

I'm proud of me.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I don't know about you guys, but I think I showed remarkable restraint on this thread.

I'm proud of me.

Mike

39257C52-CC8A-4C53-98B3-E9F76B7D7485_zps97huydco.jpg

:tooth:
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,221 Senior Member
    Naw, don't need no steenkin' medal. I'll get a free gun soon as I check in to the mod pit.

Neener-Neener.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Naw, don't need no steenkin' medal. I'll get a free gun soon as I check in to the mod pit.

Neener-Neener.

Mike

Meanie.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,863 Senior Member

So....... I will be the first??? Kewl!!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,699 Senior Member

Neener-Neener.

Mike

Super Soakers don't count as firearms...............Sayin'.....................:tooth:
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,987 Senior Member
    I've used a few different calibscartridges. Not boatloads, but a few:
    .243 Win
    .30-06
    7mm-08
    .50 caliber PowerBelt from a T/C muzzleloader
    Test User wrote: »
    1381568042982.png

Oh, and this exact thing happened to me the other night. I loaded up a Del Taco burrito with a bit too much Inferno sauce.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,569 Senior Member
    30-06

Deer tags are not easy to come by where I hunt. Oh yea, I also used a 130 gr bullet which most of ya'll assume will bounce off a deer for some reason.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,000 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    In reality, a 458 Win mag is a fairly sensible deer round if you reload.

Absolutely Jerm. Load accordingly, and you can eat right up to the hole!
    All funning aside, I'm sorry that my cartridge selection offends some. Well, I'm not sorry. But, it is unfortunate.

Unfortunate that we feel the need to determine what cartridges and/or platforms (AR?) are acceptable for others to use during hunting.

In my mind, as long as the cartridge meets the regs and requirements set forth by DNR of the respective location..........shoot with whatever you so choose and from as far away or as close as tickles your fancy.

Game on!

It's science!!!!

Your cartridge selection sure doesn't bother me, your .458 is my .375H&H's big brother. And, if I could find one at a decent price...I'd buy it, and go forth and shoot a deer with it!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,199 Senior Member
    Your cartridge selection sure doesn't bother me, your .458 is my .375H&H's big brother. And, if I could find one at a decent price...I'd buy it, and go forth and shoot a deer with it!

Actually, the .458 WM is one of the 375 H&Hs children....just sayin....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Actually, the .458 WM is one of the 375 H&Hs children....just sayin....

If your dad is your brother, does that make him your uncle?
    If your dad is your brother, does that make him your uncle?

Only thing I know is, if your aunt has balls she's your uncle.
    Zee
    I think I love you.

Right back at you Zee!
    30-06

Deer tags are not easy to come by where I hunt. Oh yea, I also used a 130 gr bullet which most of ya'll assume will bounce off a deer for some reason.

Mile high, what .308 dia. bullet are you using in your '06? Is it that Barnes TSX??
    Odd.....looking up both 45-70 and 458 win mag using 400 grain bullets on Hogdons site...the 458 was going 2407 FPS, and the 45-70 was going 2108.
    So, I guess a round goes from buffalo killing to elephant killing in 300 feet per second. Who knew?
    Zee
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,863 Senior Member
    Absolutely Jerm. Load accordingly, and you can eat right up to the hole!

Most people cut that out when they gut a deer......... :p
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Regardless the Side Show, it has been fun seeing all the different cartridges (big and small) the folks here have used to take deer.

Very informative, enlightening, and enabling for me. Thanks for the participation.

I myself elf enjoy using as many different chamberings as I can get my hands on. Just more knowledge and experience for the brain.

Thanks again. Keep them coming. I think we are back on subject again.

My thing is this, not counting rimfires, all the guns I own are capable of taking big game.And likewise will be any guns I buy in the future. And I like to blood new guns.
    The reality is I could sell all but one and use nothing but factory ammo and fill the freezer. But that makes for skinny campfire fodder. Imagine if we all only had one rifle and only used some narrow bandwidth of factory ammo.
    What would we even talk about? Besides Buffco's rosy cheeks and cpj's sexual insecurity, I mean.
    So, as long as it's legal and the shot is ethical, what do I care what someone uses. Or thinks about what I use.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Most people cut that out when they gut a deer......... :p

That's goll durn funny right there. Like, one of the funniest things I've ever seen here.
    Zee