Texas: You find a boy in your daughter's bed, bang!

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    There lies the problem. You have folks like Sam jumping up and down with joy over the death of a young man trying to get some tail from a girl that let him in the house. You have know idea if the father killed that boy just because he was doing his daughter. This law that I do like, also opens the window for outright murder. Threatening move just what was that? Going for the window or reaching for his pants. I am torn with this law, To much leeway.

You are a father, can you guarantee you would act differently in such a case ?

I remember being in an Hospital Emergency room for clinical hands on practice, a homeless guy was wheeled in, his leg was wrapped in a child's coat and duct taped, the patient moved and maggots spilled out making a wriggling mass on the clean floor.

I asked the attending Physician what should be done in this case, "Do ? Do ? nothing, that leg will fall off on its own !" He laughed hysterically in an almost maniacal way and walked off, I thought his response was cruel, many times humor is an attempt to deal with something unspeakably horrible, it can be hard to understand too.

I heard many tasteless jokes made at crime scenes and at the morgue, jokes about the dead etc, non that I ever found funny or would want to repeat or even remember.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,741 Senior Member
    I'm fully in support of the Castle doctrine, my line of thinking was something along the lines of, of all the hills on which to make your stand, you picked this one, and then made light of what is fairly tragic for all parties

:agree:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,068 Senior Member
    I don't know what will happen in Texas, but we had a similar event happen right before I retired. The father was told that a guy on a motorcycle was chasing them...which he was, since they ran into him while making a turn. The father went out to the street and fired at the back of the cyclist and hit him, killing him almost instantly. The father said the motorcycle swerved toward him, and he fired in self defense, but the hits were to the back of the guy. In addition, the father policed up his brass after shooting, apparently to conceal where he was when he shot.

The father, who was the son of a minister who had a street named after him, the street where this occurred, was indicted for murder and convicted. It came out in the trial that this wasn't the first time the father had used a gun to scare off people, and not the first time the daughters had called him on the cellphone that they were being pursued.

He's in prison now. He was on the street when he shot the boy, after claiming to be in his yard. There was no evidence that the motorcyclist had swerved toward him, and even if he did, the threat was past as he shot the kid in the back. That he policed up his own brass before the SO got there established his mens rea. If that's the right term.

I don't know if the Texas guy will be indicted, but I think he should be.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    Sad, truly sad. Lying girl. Shocked boy when he got thrown under the bus by his girlfriend. Enraged father naively thinking his little princess was still pure! Can't blame the father but that family and the lad's family will never be the same. Prayers sent.
    Patrick
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Sorry this thread got off track and that I was seemed to be rejoicing in the death of a young man.

My initial objective was to illustrate that Texas is unique these days in its attitude toward home invaders and other perps. Things are a lot harsher here and homeowner actions are much less scrutinized than in most other areas of the country (or world).

I understand that this policy is subject to excesses, but I will take that as reasonable measure when compared with the difficulties faced by people who simply want a gun for home defense (people in DC or Chicago, for example).

I also am okay with the fairly "open season" way that Texas police conduct their street business. They mean what they say and are more prone to shoot in a confrontation than do LEOs in other venues. Here are TWO new police shootings in the same day in the Houston area. And I can guarantee that the police who did the shooting will not be strung out to dry by their commanders, either:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/HPD-officer-fatally-shoots-suspect-in-southwest-Houston-250598941.html

and

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Baytown-officer-opens-fire-on-suspect-3-arrested-250613451.html

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,741 Senior Member
    I was seemed to be rejoicing in the death of a young man.
    There is absolutely "NO" seemed about "IT".....NONE

Homeowner was awakened by his 16yr old daughter at 2am, a strange boy (young man really) was in her bedroom, father tells the guy to remain quiet, the kid apparently (so we now hear from the father, right!) "made a threatening move" ha ha, and gets blown away, deceased, room temp.
    I often tend to speak harshly about things, this is true. And indeed I often use gallows humor. But this is different from rejoicing. I freely admit to having a sarcastic slant to my writing. So be it. I'm never one to go back and edit out the bad stuff. I just go forward and let the chips fall, as they have done here.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I often tend to speak harshly about things, this is true. And indeed I often use gallows humor. But this is different from rejoicing. I freely admit to having a sarcastic slant to my writing. So be it. I'm never one to go back and edit out the bad stuff. I just go forward and let the chips fall, as they have done here.

For a gun board, we sure do have our share of over-sensitive people. I wonder how it feels to be "offended" by something? I see plenty I disagree with, and many others often disagree with me, and that's all good. Sticks and stones... Stoicism needs to be a required course in school. Schadenfreude is natural, and the soul of slapstick comedy.
    I suppose I was a bit overboard in my initial comments. My objective, as I said previously, was to indicate that Texas is particularly severe in its defense of Castle Doctrine, that the father would likely not be charged.

But as I also said, I'm a somewhat sarcastic guy and that shows in my writing (anybody who's read my novels or short horror stories can attest to that). But done is done.

Thanks for the comment, horse.

The bottom line is, if I am someones friend, I do not "throw them under the bus" easily....... It is better to always give friends the benefit of better thoughts.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    There lies the problem. You have folks like Sam jumping up and down with joy over the death of a young man trying to get some tail from a girl that let him in the house. You have know idea if the father killed that boy just because he was doing his daughter. This law that I do like, also opens the window for outright murder. Threatening move just what was that? Going for the window or reaching for his pants. I am torn with this law, To much leeway.

Noooooooo. Definitely not too much leeway. That young man KNEW he shouldn't have been there, and did NOT have permission from the owner of the house. A minor does not have legal authority to grant permission for entry (or sexual consent for that matter). We may never know the true reason why he shot, but as long as he states "I was in fear for my life" it's a legal shoot. Even if it IS a tragic incident, NONE of this would have happened if that young man had just stayed home like he should have.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,652 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Noooooooo. Definitely not too much leeway. That young man KNEW he shouldn't have been there, and did NOT have permission from the owner of the house. A minor does not have legal authority to grant permission for entry (or sexual consent for that matter). We may never know the true reason why he shot, but as long as he states "I was in fear for my life" it's a legal shoot. Even if it IS a tragic incident, NONE of this would have happened if that young man had just stayed home like he should have.
    Luis

Surely you jest or were you born an old man. Young girl invites me into her home for some tail and I'm going to wonder about if she can grant me legal authority to enter her house, give me a break. So if he did murder this boy it's OK as long as he says I was scared. He should have stayed home like he should have, when his girl friend invited him in for some tail. You must have had a boring adolescent child hood.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Surely you jest or were you born an old man. Young girl invites me into her home for some tail and I'm going to wonder about if she can grant me legal authority to enter her house, give me a break.

That would be the last thing that any teenage male would be thinking about. At that age they don't think with their brains.....they let other parts of their anatomy do the thinking...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    That would be the last thing that any teenage male would be thinking about. At that age they don't think with their brains.....they let other parts of their anatomy do the thinking...........

Most males ask if her mother and or father are home, if the answer is yes, the usual is to recommend another flop.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Most males ask if her mother and or father are home, if the answer is yes, the usual is to recommend another flop.

Not actually, it was be quiet don't want to wake my parents.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    Because if you didnt, you could end up beaten to a bloody mess. The cops where I grew up would just shake there head and discuss the fall you took after talking to the dad IF you didnt get your butt kicked by your dad when you got home. Heck, my FIL pounded a kid in the SIL's bedroom and that was only a few years ago.

Its one thing to be randy, its another to be stupid.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Not actually, it was be quiet don't want to wake my parents.

If it was Me at that age, I would be all, no thanks, lets go somewhere else, I was never that stupid.
    If it was Me at that age, I would be all, no thanks, lets go somewhere else, I was never that stupid.

Stupid, I never lost any guns and I'm still here.

There is no problem if you practice safe sex..........by making sure the window is opened and clearing a path to it before you engage in any activities. A chair under the doorknob gives you enough head start.
    Just read the OP's thread title and post again.......................and here is my question

Would the father have behaved in the same way if it was a girl in his daughters bed.............?

Just wondering.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,056 Senior Member
    ...or a girl in his son's bed.
    Jermanator wrote: »

What if it was a boy in his sons bed ?
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Surely you jest or were you born an old man. Young girl invites me into her home for some tail and I'm going to wonder about if she can grant me legal authority to enter her house, give me a break. So if he did murder this boy it's OK as long as he says I was scared. He should have stayed home like he should have, when his girl friend invited him in for some tail. You must have had a boring adolescent child hood.

No. I grew up out in the country where if the owner of a house found you there unexpectedly, you were liable to get shot. But things were different back then I admit... we didn't go wandering the countryside after dark, and underage women didn't "invite you into their home for some tail".

Yes. If I find anybody in my home without my permission, and I am frightened for my life or safety by them, you can bet your sweet arse they're going to get shot. Them's the rules schweetheart. Break'em at your own risk.

Luis

ps. If by "boring adolescent childhood" you mean that I didn't sneak into other peoples homes and have sex with their kids, you're right. Parents raised us differently when/where I grew up. On the other hand, at age 16 I got to take my dad's .22 rifle and wander the back 40 hunting squirrels without any adult supervision because we were trusted to act responsibly, so life wasn't entirely without interesting activities.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Jeeper wrote: »
    No. I grew up out in the country where if the owner of a house found you there unexpectedly, you were liable to get shot. etc etc.

Living in the country has nothing to do with it. I grew up in a city (KC) and I knew better than to be sneaking into another house for any reason and at any time. The danger of getting shot had nothing to do with it, either. It was simply wrong and I knew this because my parents had taught me so.

Of course I did plenty of wrong stuff when I was in my youth and got my butt into trouble accordingly. And when I did, I also was disciplined by my parents.

At age 9 (I think it was 9, coulda been 10, 11) I was given a keen Mossberg .22lr carbine (which I still have) and kept it in my own bedroom closet along with a couple bricks of ammo, incidentally.

But at a very young age I knew right from wrong and usually was a good kid, with occasional lapses. And you're right -- sneaking into someone else's home late night? No way. You could get shot. Duh.

• MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

Nope. He probably would've laughed, apologized, shut the door, and given his boy a fist bump the next morning.
    Makes Me wonder how old Buford would feel,
    if it were his daughter and all, talking about young girls (tail) and all as if females are tarts and trollops and strumpets and none of it matters a jot, seems all rather an unbalanced even amoral mindset.

You get yourself right, forget about what you consider to be jumping for joy at the misfortune of others etc..... everybody will come into judgement for their own actions in any case.
    When I was a young man and I got over the scared part. Life pretty much centered around girls and partying. If I were to find my daughter in a similar situation I surely would not shoot the young man for doing the same thing I would have done a long time ago. We also don't know the details of what actually happened do we. Just making assumptions about a news story but that's what we do.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    When I was a young man and I got over the scared part. Life pretty much centered around girls and partying. If I were to find my daughter in a similar situation I surely would not shoot the young man for doing the same thing I would have done a long time ago. We also don't know the details of what actually happened do we. Just making assumptions about a news story but that's what we do.

:that:

And If I was that boys father...
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Been fun , but, most of us are glad it isn't a killing offense.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    This topic is where I part ways with you Sam. IMO the father should be charged with murder and never be allowed to own a firearm ...EVER ...after a 50 yr prison sentence of course. This has absolutely nothing to do with "castle doctrine" but everything to do with piss poor judgement and acting on nothing but emotion.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776