Home Main Category General Firearms

More Magpul koolaid

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
I stopped in my LGS to pick up a few things today, and decided to try Magpul's Angled Forward Grip on my carbine. It actually feels pretty good. I'm going to try and get to the range this weekend; if I do I'll post a range report. In the meantime here's a quick and sloppy picture.

Carbine_AFG_zpsa822c632.jpg
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Yeah, on my lightweight middie I'm running a Troy rail with a short LaRue VFG as a handstop. I didn't have any kind of grip on the carbine, but the AFG does seem to be more comfortable than just the forearm.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    The Wife, when we were first married. She was into the whole colonial/Queen Anne thing.

NRA Endowment Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,954 Senior Member
    I added one to my carbine also, first impression I was not sure it would remain but the more I use it the more I like it.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I added one to my carbine also, first impression I was not sure it would remain but the more I use it the more I like it.

A white couch?
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,813 Senior Member
    Yeah, it's growing on me also.

DSC_0897_zpsd6fe330d.jpg
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Seriously. Who buys a WHITE couch?

Somebody without children or pets.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    Au contraire, mon ami. For the first 20 years of our marriage, we had several cats. We just 'encouraged' them to not get on the white sofa.

Our Schnauzers don't shed, so they're not a problem.

NRA Endowment Member
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,634 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    we had several cats. We just 'encouraged' them .

Oh, please, please, please....tell me how you "encourage" a cat. I really need to know.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member

Eddie Murphy.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Oh, please, please, please....tell me how you "encourage" a cat. I really need to know.

Mike

pepperspray.jpg
    Actually we used a spray bottle of plain old tap water. Most cats hate getting wet.

But I have a feeling they got on it when we were away or asleep. Cats are conniving that way.

NRA Endowment Member
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Actually we used a spray bottle of plain old tap water. Most cats hate getting wet.

But I have a feeling they got on it when we were away or asleep. Cats are conniving that way.

Yeah, they got on the couch.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    I find that if you break two opposing legs (front left, back right, for example) that it seriously inhibits a cat's ability to climb on stuff.
    What about chikkens? They only gots two legs.

NRA Endowment Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Put an AFG on my AR pistol, seems to work pretty well.

01037C3C-3C70-4013-A358-FD0463BC67F4-14110-000011CC0880F5CD_zps762fc65b.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    We had a white couch once, it lasted less than a week, a visiting friend of the family sat down complaining that she was feeling rather poorly, when she left, she had left behind something of a reminder. :yikes:

The stain was permanent, and this was years before scotch guard and other stain protected type fabrics, there was however a money back guarantee / exchange policy,
    We exchanged it for another more practical color.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,896 Senior Member
    I can't warm up to the AFG. I have one and use it only because I can't put a vertical grip on my AR Pistol. On my latest AR Pistol build, I used one of these:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/forend-rail-parts/rail-stops/xtm-hand-stop-kit-black-sku100009593-45517-103203.aspx

and GREATLY prefer it to the AFG. In fact, I want more of them.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,857 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I can't warm up to the AFG. I have one and use it only because I can't put a vertical grip on my AR Pistol. On my latest AR Pistol build, I used one of these:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/forend-rail-parts/rail-stops/xtm-hand-stop-kit-black-sku100009593-45517-103203.aspx

Which one do you think is better for the kids to be using, from a safety standpoint?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Zee wrote: »

Yeah, I know a lot of guys who use those or the LaRue handstops. I've thought of trying them on my SPR, but so far I haven't felt a great need for them.

NRA Endowment Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,896 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Which one do you think is better for the kids to be using, from a safety standpoint?

I don't think there is any difference in regards to safety. But, size wise.........I have Carney hands and the standard size AFG I useless to me. It's too big. The small size AFG (that I run now) is a much better fit.

But, the XTM Handstop Kit is even better!!

The AFG is too big for me to get a good grip on the rifles forend with my thumb and doesn't have anything on itself for real purchase.

The XTM affords an adjustable "dual stop" location while allowing me to fully grasp the forend. Very comfortable for me.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I love Magpul's stuff. Never tried the angled foregrip, but if it's your thing, MagPul is certainly going to be a great choice.

As Buffy stated. Eddie Murphy, apparently.

rick-james-couch2.gif

You're fine with white, provided you don't invite Rick James over for brunch.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    I was wondering of anyone would catch the reference.

**** yo' couch!
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    I put one on my rifle after trying out Sonny Boys. Really like it.

White couch- no freaking way.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    ...when she left, she had left behind something of a reminder. :yikes:

The stain was permanent, and this was years before scotch guard and other stain protected type fabrics, there was however a money back guarantee / exchange policy,
    We exchanged it for another more practical color.

"Poppy peed on my couch!" -Jerry Seinfeld.

I've been watching the angled fore-grip thing, it looks better and looks more ergonomic (at least for my rifle-shooting form) than a true vertical fore-grip. I'm also wondering how it would work on a defensive pump-action shotgun?