Home Main Category Clubhouse

Movie "Lone Survivor" SPOILERS!

bruchibruchi Senior MemberPosts: 2,581 Senior Member
Very well done IMO but 2 things kinda bothered me, hope they where a case of Hollywood's poetic license..

First, none of the SEALS spoke a SINGLE word of what I am guessing was Farsi?

Second, they nab the old man and the boys tending to the goats, have no comms, need to get to higher ground so they come to the conclusion they got only 3 options.

Option one, tie them up and leave them there to die from the elements or predators.

Option two, let them go back to their village and face the consequences of this.

Third option, kill them in cold blood.

What about just keep them tied up, gag them and take them along to higher ground, keep them until they make contact with their base, even until they are rescued?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    It may be the Lt made a wrong tactical decision. In any case, it didn't work out too well.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,611 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    Very well done IMO but 2 things kinda bothered me, hope they where a case of Hollywood's poetic license..

First, none of the SEALS spoke a SINGLE word of what I am guessing was Farsi?

Second, they nab the old man and the boys tending to the goats, have no comms, need to get to higher ground so they come to the conclusion they got only 3 options.

Option one, tie them up and leave them there to die from the elements or predators.

Option two, let them go back to their village and face the consequences of this.

Third option, kill them in cold blood.

What about just keep them tied up, gag them and take them along to higher ground, keep them until they make contact with their base, even until they are rescued?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
    Read the book....

It's actually Pashtun. That's the language of most in Afghanistan, where the movie's set. Farsi is an Arab language. Afghanistan is in Central Asia, not the Middle East. And no, there were no SEALs that spoke Pashtun available. Linguists don't generally go on missions like that. THAT is probably a Hollywood affectation.

Toting 3 people (and in the actual account it was two men and a boy) up to higher ground while trying to be covert is a bit difficult, to say the least.

Oh, and per the family if Michael Murphy, their son would have NEVER let such a thing come to a vote as was portrayed in the book and, I presume, the movie. That sort of decision would be left to the LT, and he would have made it himself. Luttrell's relaying of the events has some inconsistencies with what would normally be done according to the military.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Guys, regardless of some flaws in the logic of the movie and a few "Huh?" moments (hey, even if they try their damnest, movies are never perfect), what's your opinion of the quality of the film overall.

Worth a PPV $5 watch?

Thanks

And don't mind the spoilers -- good idea to put into the thread title though. Regardless, there's always someone complaining about that.

For those people, lemme spoil the story about Julius Caesar: He gets stabbed to death by opposing senators in the forum!

So, "Lone Survivor" a good flick?
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I too read the book, so no spoilers for me. As for the movie, I'll catch it on cable when it hits.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • tote412tote412 New Member Posts: 9 New Member
    I liked the movie but the book was better.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    Bream...Farsi is a Persian Language.... It is the most widely spoken Persian Language. A lot of Folks know Farsi simply as Persian..Now, farsi does share characters from the Arabic alphabet. but the Farsi Alphabet has more characters. I would have to look up how many more...It is not a terrible amount. Persian and Arabic do have mixed or borrowed words. Some of this is from the Persian conquest into Arab lands, some of it is because of the Spread of Islam from Arab lands into Persia. Iraqi Arabic has a Persian pronunciation to some of its words...this was one way my Terps and I could pick out Foreign Fighters from other Arab countries..The Arab was more "pure".

Pashto is the spoken language of the PAshtuns, or native Afhgani people. Not all scholars agree on where Pashto came from. But most do agree it has borrowed rules from Persian, Arabic, Greek, and Hindi languages. or, in other words it has taken a little bit of language from every nation that has tried to conquer it.

You are right though...Pashto is spoken by afghanis....AND, CAG and SEALS don't normally learn languages..other than passing knowledge of "hey that sounds like...". Why, because they shouldn't be in a place long enough to have to use the language. That is not their Skill or Mission Set. SF guys on the other hand are different. They should know a language.

MY CHEAP Comment...Sam, I can sum it for it you...

Plot Summary -
    SEALS are awesome, we are so great. Look at the great stuff we do for America. Come look at us. We will never tell you about the entire BN of people that we use to support our team or how often Rangers and CAG help us out. We will never tell you the whole story so it continues to make us look extremely awesome in the eyes of Everyone....We will continue to buy fame through Hollywood while the rest of the quiet professionals stay in the background and do the stuff we can't.

After Note*

I do think SEALS are awesome. They are different breed a of Human. No, they are a different Species of human. They do things most people can't dream of doing. I don't want to take that away from them. But as I talked with someone on here not to long ago, SEALS are buying glory and Fame from Hollywood. That is not the mark of a JSOC member. Quiet Professionals. The things they do should not be talked about until well after it happen...like after the disclosure has ended. But in last few years, it has been nonstop SEAL movie here, SEAL Movie there....What was the last CAG movie you saw....What was the last Ranger movie you saw. What was the last SF movie saw about a CIF team...Just sayin..
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    GREAT POST, center! Thanks!

I heard that some former Seals have put out a bounty on you, so expect a visit, ha ha. Maybe you and Jesse Ventura will be able to compare bruises?

It does seem that they are a bit of a glory hound but for the most part, they do deserve it. Some tough dudes.

Never have met one but I've known a few of the similar types, Rangers and such. And real American heroes, I think. Scariest guy I ever met however (guys who worked in some way for Uncle I mean**) was a highschool/college pal whose mother was Asian, so he looked very much Asian. He was recruited by the CIA and went undercover into Red China. A few years later we met again and he had the scariest look in his eyes and weirdest sort of movements, like some alien invader masquerading as a human but not getting it totally right.

Anyway... thanks guys for the movie review. And yeah, the book is usually better than the movie, a good rule of thumb always.

**I also went to school with guys named things like Carrodizi, Provachi, Cardarella, etc, whose fathers were "in the biz". Once met the real life equivalent of the old bodyguard Luca Brazi from The Godfather. Now that guy (the real one) had zero emotion eyes, like a snake. Scary.
    Centermass: I meant "Arab" as in middle-Eastern, not as in Arabic. Sorry, my bad.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    Bream, if you ever have free time, find a die hard Persian And keep calling the Persian gulf the Arab gulf...you'll get an ear full.

Sam.. I have met a few older SEAL guys (master and senior chiefs) and I have seen some written discussion from other grey beards of "the community". they are not happy with what is going on now either. Example used was the book "never fight fair" that is the most anyone should know... And well after it happened.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    I'd rather not. Especially when you consider that Persians are a different ethnic group than Arabs. :tooth:
    Overkill is underrated.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    My wife and I caught the "Patriot Tour". They were in our town, Saturday. I sat 30 feet away from Marcus Lutrell, as he told the story,in his own words.
    Words can't describe the experience. I'll never forget it.

What he said was that the goat herders came up first, not the goats. And, they new from previous experience that the goats would head straight back to the village without the herders, and that would raise the red flag. They considered killing all the goats, and leaving the herders tied up. But, they decided that concealing the bodies of 80 dead goats was unmanageable. Basically, they were screwed either way, and they weren't about to murder innocents. Not an option. So, they cut them loose, and faced the consequences.

The man was as genuine as any I've ever met.