Home Main Category General Firearms

Ok you Glock Guys I gotta Question

DurwoodDurwood Senior MemberPosts: 972 Senior Member
What's the consensus on Gen 3 and Gen 4 differences and preference on the Glock 23?
You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:

Replies

• justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Gen 4 was an answer to a question that was never asked.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I personally don't like the .40S&W cartridge, but if I were going to buy a 23, it'd be a Gen-4.

The internal changes that were done for Gen-4s were done to fix the fact that the .40S&W were wrecking Gen-3 Glocks. As such, Gen-4s work exceptionally well in .40S&W, while their 9mm counterparts have definitely had some issues. These issues are generally very easy fixes (30274 ejector and an Apex FRE extractor), but the .40S&W versions seem to run fine, right out of the box.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    I personally don't like the .40S&W cartridge, but if I were going to buy a 23, it'd be a Gen-4.
    :that:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

The internal changes that were done for Gen-4s were done to fix the fact that the .40S&W were wrecking Gen-3 Glocks. As such, Gen-4s work exceptionally well in .40S&W, while their 9mm counterparts have definitely had some issues. These issues are generally very easy fixes (30274 ejector and an Apex FRE extractor), but the .40S&W versions seem to run fine, right out of the box.

Dang, they (Glocks) handled .357 SIG good didn't they? I know the 40 S&W has some quirks, though...like high pressure/funny snappy recoil.

Then again, the .357 SIG is a 9mm bullet driven at .357 velocities like a 9mm +P+ or something.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,058 Senior Member
    I did not like .40 S&W in a Glock either, just not fun to shoot
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Dang, they (Glocks) handled .357 SIG good didn't they? I know the 40 S&W has some quirks, though...like high pressure/funny snappy recoil.

Understand Chief, the problem on the .40 Gen-3s started to crop up after 10,000 to 20,000 rounds. I assume that the .357sig Glocks would suffer from the same problems since the cartridge is a tad more harsh than the .40, but don't have any evidence to back that up.

Honestly though, I know very few people that have put 15,000 rounds of .357sig downrange, WAY too expensive IMHO.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I also read where reloading for the .40 S&W can be "Problematic" for any pistol. I don't own one, though.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    So, a Gen 3 like new fired about 50x oughta be worth $275?
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
    cpj wrote: »
    Ummm, why haven't you bought it?

Cuz I wanted your approval. It's in the bag, lol, strictly for trading stock
    Durwood wrote: »
    So, a Gen 3 like new fired about 50x oughta be worth $275?

Absolutely! Hell, I'd buy it for that price.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    If you can afford to buy enough ammo to wear out a Glock .40 you can afford to buy another gun.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I also read where reloading for the .40 S&W can be "Problematic" for any pistol. I don't own one, though.
    Probably because of so many partially unsupported chambers.
    It's not going to be problematic for me:wink:

Not that I think there is a problem...
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,048 Senior Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Gen 4 was an answer to a question that was never asked.

Actually, the .40S&W was the really stupid question, and the Gen 4 is the answer to it. I wouldn't buy a Gen 3 if a Gen 4 is an option.

The Gen 3, like most early .40's, was a gun engineered for a 9mm, asked to run on a heavier, hotter load. The cost of this was accelerated wear on recoil springs, and if you didn't change them out, broken frame pins. The Gen 4 was designed to deal with this, and should quite nicely. The trigger bar was also re-designed to eliminate friction on the trigger spring,but I believe that revision has been standardized across ALL production - Gen 3 and 4.

The 4's are smoother to shoot - the dual recoil spring gives you one to start slowing the slide, and another to speed-bump it further before it slams into the frame at the end of the stroke. Best way I can describe it is that it feels like a Gen 3 with a brand new spring plugged into it - when they get tired, the 3's start feeling snappy.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Interesting, thanks. I did break down and buy a box of ammo that I might run through it before it is reallocated.

I have to say I have never had what is supposedly a quality gun in my hand that felt more uncomfortable:cuss:
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    The 4's are smoother to shoot - the dual recoil spring gives you one to start slowing the slide, and another to speed-bump it further before it slams into the frame at the end of the stroke. Best way I can describe it is that it feels like a Gen 3 with a brand new spring plugged into it - when they get tired, the 3's start feeling snappy.

I've been seeing new Gen 3 with the Gen 4 dual captured thingy ma-jigs springs lately.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    FWIW Summit Gun Broker sells used LEO trade in Gen 3 G23 's for about $375.00 and new wholesale they are $451. New LEO discount Gen 3 guns are about $425.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I have two G22's, (40 cal), one they gave me when I retired and one I bought for $275.00. So far, no apparent problems. FYI, you are not supposed to shoot reloads through a Glock, and shooting lead bullets could void your warrantee.....Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,460 Senior Member
    Interesting, thanks. I did break down and buy a box of ammo that I might run through it before it is reallocated.

I have to say I have never had what is supposedly a quality gun in my hand that felt more uncomfortable:cuss:

I will take it off your hands for $250 and save you the anguish of having it around.
    Do I have to throw in the ammo?
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,897 Senior Member

Welcome to Glock!
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    I have two G22's, (40 cal), one they gave me when I retired and one I bought for $275.00. So far, no apparent problems. FYI, you are not supposed to shoot reloads through a Glock, and shooting lead bullets could void your warrantee.....Robin

I shoot nothing but reloads in my Gen 2 G22. Not a single issue yet, close to 1000 reloads. We had this discussion a while back and it seems the Glock bulge, the reason for not reloading Glock brass, was not there in Gen 2. The brass seems as supported in the barrel as any other gun. I think it was NN that posted a pic showing it and someone else posted a clearly different Glock barrel that was not nearly as supported at the feed ramp, a later version, Gen 3 or 4.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,048 Senior Member
    I've been seeing new Gen 3 with the Gen 4 dual captured thingy ma-jigs springs lately.

The "HOW" of that makes me curious, as the Gen 4 uses a completely different slide to accommodate that spring. The guide ring is enlarged for the spring's larger front diameter.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee