Home Main Category Clubhouse

certified welder job

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,525 Senior Member
There is a guy at scouts who is a part owner in a industrial crane business. I overheard that he was looking for certified welders (heard 1 inch overhead) dont know the level. A strong electrician type background would be helpful.

http://www.lornatinc.com/

No attachment or anything to the company. The main owner did haul all of our scout troop to the start of our 107 mi canoe trip and picked us up so IMHO, he's OK.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    A guy with those skills can write his own ticket in the pipeline business. And with the right experience he won't even have to weld. he can be a supervisor.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,263 Senior Member
    My youngest stepson want to gov to the welding class at the vocational school his Jr and sr year....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Skilled trades are very under rated. These poor kids have been brainwashed to believe that if you do good in high school, you can get in a good college. If you get in a good college, you can get a good job.

The reality is that if you do good in high school, you can get in a good college. That good college will put you $100,000 in debt. That good college degree will get you a job as an unpaid intern, or a barista.

A kid that is competent in an honest to goodness trade fresh out of high school or enters a trade fresh out of high school will start making money from day 1. If they are good at their skill, they will make a good living and their skills will be in demand.

Art history? That is nice. If you can fix my car or wire my house? You got a job!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    A good welder or anyone that's skilled, and has a good work ethic should never have trouble finding a job.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,292 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Art history?

Most (if not all) of the Liberal Arts need to have a required class in saying "Would you like fries with that?"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Not all. (English major/carpenter/builder)
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I have a Sheep Skin on my wall, says "Bachelors of Legal Studies!" I can take that diploma and add a buck fifty and get me a cup of coffee anywhere within the state or nation. Back when I was in High School it was preached to us continually to get that degree and you would have it made. I ended up getting a vocational degree in Diesel Engines from a school that has both academics and vojack campuses. I made about as much money with that 2 year degree as anybody else who got their bachelors back then. I know have a bachelors that costs me a bunch of money I will have to pay back and I haven't made a red cent with that degree yet. But part of the reason is that when you're 66 years old and they hear you comin, they're out the door before you can slip in , and they run for the nearest swamp!

They always told me to get that degree because that was something they could never take away from you. But then again these days I don't know who would want it. :jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,849 Senior Member
    Skilled trades are very under rated. These poor kids have been brainwashed to believe that if you do good in high school, you can get in a good college. If you get in a good college, you can get a good job.

The reality is that if you do good in high school, you can get in a good college. That good college will put you $100,000 in debt. That good college degree will get you a job as an unpaid intern, or a barista.

A kid that is competent in an honest to goodness trade fresh out of high school or enters a trade fresh out of high school will start making money from day 1. If they are good at their skill, they will make a good living and their skills will be in demand.

Art history? That is nice. If you can fix my car or wire my house? You got a job!

This. If I didn't have the Army thing going on, I would have stopped college after my AA and pursued a trade.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Not all. (English major/carpenter/builder)

Yep, BS education, Firefighter/Engineer.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • christiechristie Member Posts: 86 Member
    An idea to find a qualified and certified welder: This company is invited to contact their local ironworkers hall.

www.iwlocal3.com

I can assure you; my union brothers and sisters are a good choice for getting the job done right and in an efficient and timely manner.
    "I couldn't be more proud and humbled by the experience"- said by a successful someone
  • sodbusterssodbusters New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    You would need AWS d1.1 cert In all 4 positioning for that job. This cert has an easier test then say the cert for bridge welding.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    What part of the apprenticeship training includes walking a picket line and getting laid off for low seniority?
    :uhm:
    Jerry