Home Main Category Clubhouse

Humans will be kept between life and death in the first suspended animation trials

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Wow, like a science fiction movie, but becoming closer to reality.

Also, ExtremeTech is a cool site to poke around on.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/179296-humans-will-be-kept-between-life-and-death-in-the-first-suspended-animation-trials
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Wow, like a science fiction movie, but becoming closer to reality.

Also, ExtremeTech is a cool site to poke around on.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/179296-humans-will-be-kept-between-life-and-death-in-the-first-suspended-animation-trials

MAN! My mind is Way too screwed up to go to a sight like that! :jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I have a great idea. We capture the top Al Qaida leaders, replace their blood with the saline, and after a while replace the saline with Pigs Blood. Then we wake them up and tell them and observe their actions. This way we can see how it works on Humans, that is IF you can call these Pigs Human...

:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I have a great idea. We capture the top Al Qaida leaders, replace their blood with the saline, and after a while replace the saline with Pigs Blood. Then we wake them up and tell them and observe their actions. This way we can see how it works on Humans, that is IF you can call these Pigs Human...

:tooth:

I wonder if when the wake up, will they no longer speak Arabic and begin to speak pig Latin?
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,797 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    I wonder if when the wake up, will they no longer speak Arabic and begin to speak pig Latin?
    Probably they will just start squealing loudly......:devil:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I've been known to go into suspended animation when my wife decides WE need to watch an episode of Dr. Phil. :drool:

Oh man, that's pure torture :yikes::yikes:

Hey , y'all could actually go on the show and see if he can cure "Wambli-gun buying-itis" :tooth: :guns::guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 358 Member
    Creepy............

coma.jpg
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Well, if we're going to travel beyond the solar system, the options are pretty limited:

There's the science fiction fantasy of faster than light travel - hyperspace, wormholes, warp drive, folding space, etc... All pretty theoretical and requiring "new physics" that go far beyond our current understanding.

There's using whatever thrusting mechanism you can cook up that will give you sufficient range and velocity at relativistic speeds - the journey still takes 20, 30, 80 years, but it only seems like 2, 3, 5 years to the passengers. You've still got to pack a lot of Spaghettios and toothpaste.

You can also build a great big honkin' generation ship with all the necessary bits of a self-contained ecosystem, getting it up to some pre-determined speed and the letting it coast for a few hundred years, getting your gravity through some kind of spinning mechanism. Just hope you think of everything - including a large enough genetic pool for your crew AND your livestock.

Finally, you can perfect suspended animation, pack your crew in like sardines with minimal life support and consumables, and shoot them off with your best available drive system at the time. Probably the cheapest option if you can make it work.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Well, if we're going to travel beyond the solar system, the options are pretty limited:

There's the science fiction fantasy of faster than light travel - hyperspace, wormholes, warp drive, folding space, etc... All pretty theoretical and requiring "new physics" that go far beyond our current understanding.

There's using whatever thrusting mechanism you can cook up that will give you sufficient range and velocity at relativistic speeds - the journey still takes 20, 30, 80 years, but it only seems like 2, 3, 5 years to the passengers. You've still got to pack a lot of Spaghettios and toothpaste.

You can also build a great big honkin' generation ship with all the necessary bits of a self-contained ecosystem, getting it up to some pre-determined speed and the letting it coast for a few hundred years, getting your gravity through some kind of spinning mechanism. Just hope you think of everything - including a large enough genetic pool for your crew AND your livestock.

Finally, you can perfect suspended animation, pack your crew in like sardines with minimal life support and consumables, and shoot them off with your best available drive system at the time. Probably the cheapest option if you can make it work.

Very interesting article. Even with intersolar space travel SA will be a useful key and perhaps be as common as getting stitches. On manned missions to Mars one wouldn't really have to rely on SA since the red planet is just 'down the street' so to speak at only around 1.6 AU (astronomical unit) away. However, future manned missions to the moons of Jupiter (5AU) or even the Saturn system (10AU) SA could be a very useful tool in limiting the physical as well the psychological stress of group containment on voyages that will literately take 2-5 years just to reach the target destination ...like taking a nap on a long drive, one wakes up and you're there, ...well ...perhaps not quite as simple as that but this could very well open the door for interplanetary space travel, or who knows, maybe even mining on some celestial object. Exciting stuff. Sci Fi is becoming science fact.