Home Main Category Clubhouse

Dad has squirrels in his attic

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
Now, those of you who have met me might think I'm speaking metaphorically, but he really does have live squirrels nesting in the attic over the den.

He's tried fencing off the eaves, but they chewed thru it, and I've offered to bring over one of my .22s and deal with it, but he doesn't want to deal with the cleanup afterwards.

Any ideas for a clean and final solution?
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Not having knowledge of house construction I can offer a couple of suggestions. If the attic is sealed off from rest of house with limited access, set off a 4 pack of insect bombs at night in the attic. Retrieve dead squirrels the next day.

If that isn't an option, wait until they leave to forage for food and put up 1/4" mesh galvanized welded hardware cloth over their entrance holes; they can't chew through it. But they might chew a new entrance hole.

Live traps baited with peanut butter placed in the attic. Place trap with squirrel in water filled garbage can for a while.

Edit to add: I had the same problem; squirrels chewed a hole in soffit to gain entrance. I went an entirely different way to get rid of them. All I'll say about it is that a half amp of 120v AC works like a champ.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Havahart trap, followed by swimming lessons. Mike's electrical solution sounds like more fun, though!
    Jerry
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,266 Senior Member
    Rat traps and peanut butter

Rattrap_and_mousetrap.JPG
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    Headlamp. BB gun. Attack! Attic squirrels are good eats!
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    At least it's not a water moccasin in the crawl space..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    12ga.........#6 shot......PULL!

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    I'd be very surprised if 12 volts would produce enough current flow to be lethal, even if the squirrel bites the wire. 50-something volts DC would be about the lower limit, IMHO. We found the remains of a VERY dead rat that had chewed into a 900VDC wire on one of the B-52 systems I worked on in Okinawa.
    Jerry
    Yep. The 120V AC thing I did was pretty neat. Didn't draw any current until the squirrel completed the circuit. The 60W light bulb made a good current limiter. After the squirrel got zapped to death, it fell to the ground resetting the trap.

12V DC would only work if you had some mechanism to drive a couple of sharp pins into the squirrel to complete the circuit. The fur is too high a resistance to overcome by 12V DC. Get a piece of fur, or just use an ohmmeter on a convenient dog or cat. Take the resistance and do the math. It won't work.
    ― Douglas Adams
    I've handled enough 12 volt wiring with bare hands for the past 50-something years that I can say without any reservations that it takes much more voltage than that to even get a tingle. Once it gets stepped up to 50K or so through an ignition coil, then things start to get a little interesting! Even then, there's pain, but no real injury, unless you factor in straightening up suddenly under a hood latch! It takes about 100 milliamps of current to injure or kill, and that's possible with 120 volts under the right grounding situation. 240 gets really hazardous, and 480- - - -especially 3 phase- - - -call the hearse!
    Jerry
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,062 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if 12 volts would produce enough current flow to be lethal, even if the squirrel bites the wire. 50-something volts DC would be about the lower limit, IMHO. We found the remains of a VERY dead rat that had chewed into a 900VDC wire on one of the B-52 systems I worked on in Okinawa.
    Jerry

The rats over there could EAT a B-52!!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,086 Senior Member
    .22 revolver, .22 mag birdshot, Surefire flashlight. I have been charged by an angry mom squirrel, fanning the revolver is appropriate. Bring extra ammo. Ear plugs. Don't put your foot through the ceiling.
    IMG_2389.jpg
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    And now for some trivia:
    You can commit suicide with a 1 1/2V D-cell battery by soldering straight pins to each end and driving both pins into your wrists. Blood is a pretty efficient electrolyte and passes current pretty good.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,862 Senior Member
    It is the salt
    old sailors need to be careful around electricity.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    When I had critters in the attic, an exterminator friend told me to put moth balls up there, It worked.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Just put a bird feeder up there!

squirrel_nuts.jpg

Jerry
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,862 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    When I had critters in the attic, an exterminator friend told me to put moth balls up there, It worked.

JAY
    That is the easiest remedy
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Interesting idea, I'll pass that on. Thanks!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Interesting idea, I'll pass that on. Thanks!

Where is the fun in that? Squirrel light bulb! We want video.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13