Home Main Category Clubhouse

Fuel topped off?

Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker BannedPosts: 1,503 Senior Member
Like the 22 shortage that caught many by surprise do you keep your vehicles topped off or are you the type who drives around with a 1/4 tank or the gauge on fumes? I used to gas up only for the needed amount of daily driving but the last few years I religiously kept both the trucks and car topped off. Haven't gone as far as keeping a couple 5 gal cans around (although I should) but it's nice to know I always have a 400-500 mile radius should the need arise.

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I usually top off at 1/2 tank and especially after a trip just to be in a good "Standby" like we did vehicles in the Army so we would be ready roll again if need be.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,093 Senior Member
    I try to never let them get below 1/2 tank.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,126 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I try to never let them get below 1/2 tank.

Especially in cold weather. An almost empty tank is a good way to pick up unwanted condensation.

I usually drive on the top half of the tank. I try to keep track of the day the gas stations raise their prices and fill up the day before. About half the time I hit it right. I keep 3 five gallon cans full in the garage for the mower, generator or an emergency.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 790 Senior Member
    I drive 50,000 a year for work, I very rarely go below 1/2 tank, especially in winter. If I get stuck in a blizzard, its probably a good thing to have some gas in the tank. Had it once this winter that I gort stuck in a blizzard and rode it our in a field driveway for 4 hours and never worried since I had enough fuel.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    Unless we are out for a mini trip, I top off at 3/4 full.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    It's better that you keep your tank full as possible in event of zombie attack.

Besides, it's slightly better that the fuel gets as mixed as possible with fresh gasoline (or diesel, whichever) and a fuller tank also has less evaporation (slightly).

But "topping off" (filling past the auto shutoff point) is not recommended due to the feedback from the electronic monitoring systems, especially for fuel injected engines.
    samzhere wrote: »

Besides, it's slightly better that the fuel gets as mixed as possible with fresh gasoline (or diesel, whichever) and a fuller tank also has less evaporation (slightly).

But "topping off" (filling past the auto shutoff point) is not recommended due to the feedback from the electronic monitoring systems, especially for fuel injected engines.

Why would this make any difference, I always fill mine to the max.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    [QUOTE, a=cpj;338414]I never fill up, or even top off in my personal truck. I put in enough and roll with it. It gets driven a yearly average of 50 miles a week. The wife's car typically gets filled once a week, doesn't get more till it needs it. The work van is basically the same, it gets filled typically once per day do to the amount of driving I do.
    It's been over 20 years since I ran out of gas. I'll chance it.[/QUOTE]

:agree:

I'm going nowhere in a hurry or in an emergency. Have you all seen the hiways when people are evactuating en mass? It's way more dangerous than staying home and braving the wind in a hurricane. I can hunker down and board the windows. I'm far enough from the water that I don't think I'll get washed out to sea and am well above sea level. And besides, all my guns and ammo and loading equipment are right here. Why go anywhere? I will stand and fight.
    Some days you'll find my tanks full, some times they're close to empty. But I don't get anal over it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Unless I'm on a long trip I try to keep tanks filled. Less chance for condensation to form in a filled tank. I also keep a 55 gal. drum of diesel for the tractors; it's not for road use, but if it was the zombie pockyclipse, I'd use it in the truck.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,500 Senior Member
    I regard this as one of those "Life is too short" issues.

I drive it till the fuel light comes on (about 60 miles until empty), and then I fill it up, unless the vehicle is screaming to be washed, then I'll gas up at the station with the swish-swish.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Because overflow can get down into the sensor system and if it doesn't work properly, you can get the annoying check engine light and stuff. Also, filling the tank w. cold gas (from storage underground) all the way, then the gas warms up and expands, overflows and dribbles down the outside of the body work or down inside the frame, depending on the arrangement. Waste of fuel.
    cpj wrote: »
    By topping off he meant.....topping off. Not filling past the shut off point.

From my olden times of terminology, I regard "topping off" as filling the tank to capacity past the hose shutoff point. And apparently there's some agreement -- don't you see those stickers on the pump "Do not top off"?

Topping off means exactly that, continuing to add gasoline after the autovalve cuts off.

However I did understand what he implied... keeping your tank fairly full rather that letting it get below, say 1/4 tank. And yes, keeping the tank full is better for the engine workings, and also just in case of zombie attack.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    I fill up both the car and truck at 1/2 tank. There is always a 5 gallon can in the shed for use in the snow blower and genny.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,072 Senior Member

My owner's manual says not to fill up past the auto shut off point. I never thought much about it, I just follow their recommendations.

I don't drive very much, and base my fillups on the price of gasoline. If it's going down, I wait; if the price is going up, I fill up more often.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Because overflow can get down into the sensor system and if it doesn't work properly, you can get the annoying check engine light and stuff. Also, filling the tank w. cold gas (from storage underground) all the way, then the gas warms up and expands, overflows and dribbles down the outside of the body work or down inside the frame, depending on the arrangement. Waste of fuel.

I have never noticed these things:uhm:

Must be because you don't drive a truck:jester:.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I usually fill up when I get to about 1/4 of a tank. I figure its like food and water, if the world goes down the toilet I have all the currency and power I need in all the guns and ammo I keep stocked up. If it really gets that bad I can take what I need from the former sheeple!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,851 Senior Member
    I fill up when I get the e-light. There are 3 gas stations on the way to work and I can go at least 50 miles on the light. If the world ends I'm not using the roads, I'm firing up the KLR-650.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,317 Senior Member
    Since we live out in the sticks, we always fill up when we're down to a half tank. Though the nearest gas station is only 4 miles away, one of the all to common power outages could necessitate driving to the next closest station...a 30-some mile round trip. We also keep a reserve of stabilized gas in the garage for emergencies.(enough to fill one of the trucks in a pinch)
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    I keep my truck on the upper side of 1/2 tank. Mostly because I can't fill it up without hanging up the nozzle, and starting over because of the credit card limit. It's annoying.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    I always keep the Tundra full. I refill at or a bit above 1/2 tank. Extra fuel in the garage for the Rhino & mower.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    i always top up unless im short on $$$.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member

Floods the charcoal can. Can make purge and vent solid valves malfunction
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member

Do tell...:uhm:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,879 Senior Member
    They had to replace part of that evaporation collection system on my last jeep and they thought maybe filling the tank every day and then a lot of stopping and going and bouncing around might have caused it. After that I kept it less than full and had no more trouble. When I bought this one I keep it down a little from full to start the day. I can't make two days on a tank anyway.
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Do tell...:uhm:

See? You've learned something today.
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    Floods the charcoal can. Can make purge and vent solid valves malfunction

Would this affect mileage?
    I have never noticed these things

Must be because you don't drive a truck.

So trucks don't have tanks that can be overflown? Great idea. How does that work different from cars, then?

Reason I don't drive a truck is because I don't have lumber or dirt or cattle feed or other stuff to haul around. Or tow.
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Got a leak on the weld of the tank on the Burb...half tank tops (they are a **** to fix, but soon)...the pick-em-up...always full along with a few cans and sta-bil.

New gas station just opened up...with one pump as "No Ethanol"...few cans for that fuel as well.

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    In the boating world, the full vs empty tank for winterizing is a yearly debate. Some say a full tank of ethanol will absorb more moisture because of the alcohol, some say a near empty tank will have lots of condensation. I guess a full tank of real gas would be best but that stuff is $$$$ anymore.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    In the boating world, the full vs empty tank for winterizing is a yearly debate. Some say a full tank of ethanol will absorb more moisture because of the alcohol, some say a near empty tank will have lots of condensation. I guess a full tank of real gas would be best but that stuff is $$$$ anymore.

I don't keep my boat tank full because if the gas gets over about 3 months old I give it to the Gods. And that stupid new tank I bought at Wally World is one of those California legal things and it doesn't breathe. If you have it full and it warms up due to ambient temperature, it can rupture due to over pressure and that ain't good. I just got this new tank back in the fall because the old tank's pickup tube broke off. I've been saying since I got it that I was going to put a vent on it and I will this spring. Oh it is this spring already! I will do that shortly. Oh well, anyway, I do buy that REAL Gas for it and it is REAL $$$$ like you said. But for my boat, the ethanol sucks. I have more problems with carburators using regular unleaded with Ethanol than I can afford to deal with. So I use Plus or Premium gasoline and have yet to have a carburetor problem since I started using it. So in the long run, it's a lot cheaper than using Regular Unleaded.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.