Home Main Category General Firearms

Savage gimmicks.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,563 Senior Member
I am furious to say the least. I was thrilled about Savage releasing the B-Mag in .17WSM. I was willing to overlook the pencil barrel if it shot decently. I was even willing to deal with the tupperware stock until I got a Boyds replacement, but then today I was in Dick's Sporting Goods and I saw this...

post-2-0-87951900-1393526218.jpg

Those of us excited for the concept of the Bmag were duped. All their model 93 rifles in .17HMR are heavy barrel, so why not the Bmag? Now after duping excited buyers into buying a lesser-standard varmint rifle and 8 months later they put heavy barrel versions on the shelf? :angry: I don't have an endless bank account. Bad, BAD form Savage. You're off the list. I'll never again buy a Savage product.

Call it irrational or anything else, but I'm pissed.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,496 Senior Member
    I found your problem.
    clinglogo_1_1_zpsa50d37a3.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,496 Senior Member
    :tooth:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Ummm, so a company comes out with a different version of something you bought and now you're pissed?
    You better quit buying.....anything.


    And the ones duped were......the ones that bought into the .17 WSM. Sayin'. :tooth:

    That ain't the point. The 93R17 (17hmr) came out initially as a heavy barrel. The Bmag does after 8 months? Still bad form as far as I'm concerned.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I found your problem.
    clinglogo_1_1_zpsa50d37a3.jpg

    No kidding. :tooth:
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,496 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    That ain't the point. The 93R17 (17hmr) came out initially as a heavy barrel. The Bmag does after 8 months? Still bad form as far as I'm concerned.

    :uhm:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    :uhm:

    It's correct in my mind. :silly:
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,611 Senior Member
    Guess I ought to be pizzed @ Remington then, since a year or so after I bought my 1911R1 they came out with a model I like better. :roll:

    Sorry, but just like me and my Rem, no one MADE you buy the first Savage you saw.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »

    Not strong enough. Can't get my script filled till next week...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Guess I ought to be pizzed @ Remington then, since a year or so after I bought my 1911R1 they came out with a model I like better. :roll:



    Sorry, but just like me and my Rem, no one MADE you buy the first Savage you saw.

    Agreed, reluctantly, but I am still so confused by their methodology. Why come out with HBARs for all the other rimfire varmint rifles they make but not the BMag? Seems nonsensical to me.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,609 Senior Member
    I can understand that sometimes you just want what you want, like a heavy barrel.

    As for the rifle that you bought, how does it shoot? Does it suffer from some malady that you feel would be addressed by a heavier contour barrel?
    That's all I got.

    Paul
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,733 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Why come out with HBARs for all the other rimfire varmint rifles they make but not the BMag?

    They did it just to piss you off.....apparently they succeeded
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    PFD wrote: »
    I can understand that sometimes you just want what you want, like a heavy barrel.

    As for the rifle that you bought, how does it shoot? Does it suffer from some malady that you feel would be addressed by a heavier contour barrel?

    It shoots...ok. about 1". My Savage HBAR 17hmr shoots about 1/2".
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    They did it just to piss you off.....apparently they succeeded

    Dang it...fell for it again... :(
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,212 Senior Member
    So you didn't buy it for the nifty cutout hat they have on every box? That is why Alpha bought his.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Ummm, so a company comes out with a different version of something you bought and now you're pissed?
    You better quit buying.....anything.


    And the ones duped were......the ones that bought into the .17 WSM. Sayin'. :tooth:

    Now **** cpj, there you go again saying something I have to agree with. What are they going to think of us, agreeing on something? Actually, I have to say, if Savage didn't improve it then I would be more likely to say I would never buy another of their products. In fact every time I ever bought something new and could brag that I was one of the first kids on the block to have one, after a couple months even, They came along and improved it. Yeah I wish then I would have waited, but it's not the manufacturer's fault that I was too impatient to wait till the bugs were out of it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I won't ever buy a .17 rimfire magnum of any kind. I have a .17 K-Hornet that is a reloading proposition only. It's cheaper to reload for than that expensive rimfire stuff.

    I do have a .17 Mach 2 rimfire barrel for my Ruger lever action. I don't have nearly enough ammo squirreled away for it, and it's harder to find than most any other rimfire ammo. And expensive before the craziness set in.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I won't ever buy a .17 rimfire magnum of any kind. I have a .17 K-Hornet that is a reloading proposition only. It's cheaper to reload for than that expensive rimfire stuff.


    I do have a .17 Mach 2 rimfire barrel for my Ruger lever action. I don't have nearly enough ammo squirreled away for it, and it's harder to find than most any other rimfire ammo. And expensive before the craziness set in.

    Florida doesn't allow centerfire anything during small game season when I hunt coyotes. It sort of necessitates cartridges like the 17wsm.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    saw two in Lexington and Frankfort ,Ky Friday, neither were bull barrels. Only way to buy the bullets were with the purchase of the Rifles. Very scarce around here. Afraid it won't catch on. . Price from $299.00, cash to $ 319.00 on card.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement