Home Main Category Hunting

Male or female elk?

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,992 Senior Member
Without antlers, I am no expert.

Is this a bull or cow? We thought cow...

elk_zpsdefd296d.jpg
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »

elk_zpsdefd296d.jpg

I'm not real sharp on Elk Anatomy. Without antlers this time of year, it's a crap shoot for me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,090 Senior Member
    Cow.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,536 Senior Member
    Cow.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Cow.

Concur, at first glace, then I went back and looked more closely and I still think so. We don't really have much for scale but there are clues. For one thing she's ever so slightly sausage backed. A bull will have more of a straight line back. I guess with out scale it could be young of the year but I just gon't think so. BTW whoever took that pic did a great job and rhose look like long range targets in the back ground.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,005 Senior Member
    Pencile necked geek
    cow
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,674 Senior Member
    Cow....A bull this time of year still has rather prominent nubs on his head where his antlers used to be....

elk_zps1a65853c.jpg
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    For sure a cow. Know how to tell the difference?

Same way you tell the difference between a bull or a young heifer. :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,090 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    For sure a cow. Know how to tell the difference?

Meat Gazer!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Cow: Notice the sleek hips, the sidelong come hither look, the jaunty tilt of the head.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    Dr. db wrote: »
    Cow: Notice the sleek hips, the sidelong come hither look, the jaunty tilt of the head.
    When did Buffco hack your account?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    The hair on the sides isn't yellowish, when bulls are in with the cows there is quite a difference in color.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,572 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    elk_zps1a65853c.jpg

That's the same look I get when standing at a urinal. :tooth:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Dr. db wrote: »

I thought it was the look of disapproval that gave her away.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    I thought it was the look of disapproval that gave her away.

Yeah, she's got that look that says, "What are those clowns up to now?" :tooth:

The elk that got transplanted in TN are colored a little different. The bulls I've seen at the Royal Blue WMA have a lot more dark brown hair on their bellies than the cows.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    To me the first telling thing is posture. Of course you have to live in an area where you get to see these critters relatively routinely, but after a while you can pretty much tell the difference just by the way they stand. Same goes for pronghorn. Since pronghorn does sometimes have horns, mistakes can happen pretty easily. The buck pronghorns also have black cheek patches, but if they're too far away to see the patches, 9 times out of 10 you can tell which they are simply by how they stand.

It's kind of hard to describe, but the males just look dominant.

Mike
    N454casull
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    To me the first telling thing is posture. Of course you have to live in an area where you get to see these critters relatively routinely, but after a while you can pretty much tell the difference just by the way they stand. Same goes for pronghorn. Since pronghorn does sometimes have horns, mistakes can happen pretty easily. The buck pronghorns also have black cheek patches, but if they're too far away to see the patches, 9 times out of 10 you can tell which they are simply by how they stand.

Mike

...Mike's right, you can usually tell a buck or bull by they way they move, even when you can't make out the horns...
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,889 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »

elk_zpsdefd296d.jpg

Heck, just looks like dinner to me.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »

Mike

I agree when it comes to pronghorns. What I look for is the forward lean. Bucks tend to lean forward more so than the does do.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    :up::up:
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I agree when it comes to pronghorns. What I look for is the forward lean. Bucks tend to lean forward more so than the does do.

I learned that from you, dude!
    N454casull
  • remmagremmag Member Posts: 92 Member
    They have clinics in Sweden that can make you anything you want to be, so...unless you are close enough to see the scars, could be a cross-dresser. They all cook up the same though.