Hawg hunt coming Nov 17 18 2011.. guns? advice?

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,796 Senior Member
I have signed up for a hog hunt in Central Florida on Nov 17 / 18.

I am bringing my chicom SKS with a kivaari trigger and Tech sights rear peep, shooting 154 gr Wolf SP's arounf 2100 FPS. I figure this will be a good brush gun up to 50 yards.

I am also bringing my Remington 742 in 30.06 with a 3x9 x40 Simmons and 150 gr SP's. I figuer it sould be good to 150 yds or so.

I do not own a rangefinder at this time.

We will be on 500 private acres with tree stands and feeders. The whole thing sounds more like shooting fish in a barrel, and this will be my first hog hunt.

Any advice?

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Sounds like you got it all worked out! Don't see anything wrong with those choices. And really, do you need a range finder for up to 150 yards?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,573 Senior Member
    Dan, I had a 30-06 while sitting in the tree stand, but ended up taking my hog from about 10 feet away with a .357 mag behind the ear. All that you mentioned should do you well. Furthest shot offered in the area I was in would have been 75 yards measured with a range finder from the tree stand. Good Luck!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,936 Senior Member
    If your in a tree stand use the 06, do not fool around. You might want to go back again.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Awesome! You won't be all that far from where I live (west central FL). The 742 will do the job to an easy 200 yds if you're sighted in right, but I'd be stunned if you wind up shooting farther than ~75 yds, and a rangefinder will NOT be necessary. Just be careful not to fall out of your treestand. :jester:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,714 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I have signed up for a hog hunt in Central Florida on Nov 17 / 18.

I am bringing my chicom SKS with a kivaari trigger and Tech sights rear peep, shooting 154 gr Wolf SP's arounf 2100 FPS. I figure this will be a good brush gun up to 50 yards.

I am also bringing my Remington 742 in 30.06 with a 3x9 x40 Simmons and 150 gr SP's. I figuer it sould be good to 150 yds or so.

I do not own a rangefinder at this time.

We will be on 500 private acres with tree stands and feeders. The whole thing sounds more like shooting fish in a barrel, and this will be my first hog hunt.

Any advice?

D

And, you are going to carry a handgun.......................???????
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,942 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I am bringing my chicom SKS

If you still got the fold out bayonet fer that thing...you might not have to use up any ammo at all...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    I hunt that area. The 742 is PLENTY of gun. The AK....eh.......enough gun, but I question the accuracy. A clean kill may equaly to an invite back. We drop them with much less sometimes. They may come in a group, but when you fire they will evaporate right before your eyes. A .243 is plenty. So is a .44 spl. Accuracy is king.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,796 Senior Member
    Alec, yes I am going to bring a handgun, my Glock 20 with some 600+ FPE rounds.

I still have the bayonet on my SKS, aka "pigsticker".

As far as accuracy goes, my SKS is about a 3 MOA gun with the trigger job, and peep sights, and decent ammo with irons. At 75 yards I can hit a 3 inch target all day long.

I am going to the range tomorrow to zero everything. If anything, my Remington 742 has yet to be tested and fired. I have 6 weeks to recheck my equipment.

There will be between 6 to 8 of us.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    Man, that SKS with 154 gr. bullet will bring down hogs all day long. Just don't get wild with the rang. I would think it would be ok out to about 150 yards or so. Of coure the 30-06 will do it better at longer range.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    And, you are going to carry a handgun.......................???????

I agree with that one...

I have seen more than one get up, things can go south from there.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    If you want an "eater" make it less than 200 pounds. The big boars smell so bad that you don't want to get close.
    Have fun!!

Jim