Home Main Category Personal Defense

Pocket Carry and Magazine release

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,236 Senior Member
I pocket carry 90% of the time. It doesn't seem to matter what gun, if it is a small semi-auto I have at one time or another found that the magazine release had become engaged making my conceal carry gun a one shot wonder until I re-seat the magazine. I use an uncle Mikes pocket holster most of the time, (this could be the whole problem) is there another pocket holster out there that will minimize if not eliminate this from happening? How do members here deal with pocket carry? Do you just make sure the magazine is seated as soon as you pull the gun?
Would like to hear others thoughts on this as it is not a good thing to have happen in a time of need.
Reason I bring this up, I went the range today and shot a few of the new Smith's, decided I would pull my conceal carry gun, a Ruger LC9 and put a magazine full down range, I take the first shot boom and the second shot, click. NOT GOOD.
thanks in advance.

Replies

• EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Something along the lines of a Desantis Nemesis, Sticky Holster, or Remora Holster are made of a bit thicker material, this might help keep the release from being pressed.

Going down another train of thought: do you carry a reload, if so, how much importance do you place on doing the reload with any amount of speed? If no/not a lot, you might consider shortening the mag release.......file it down flush or almost flush with the frame. You'd still be able to release the mag, but it would take a conscious and determined effort to do so. This would definitely make reloads slower, but having a repeater if you need it (instead of a single shot) seems like it might trump this.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,236 Senior Member
    I like the idea of filing down the mag release. This may be a viable solution.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Either shorten the mag release, or switch to a pocket gun with a mag release at the bottom of the grip frame. I carry a Polish P-64 that retains the magazine with a bottom release, and it never comes loose. Of course, I also carry IWB with a belt clip holster, so it's almost impossible to get into magazine trouble with that type of carry.
    Jerry
    Anyone use any of the kydex (hard plastic) pocket holsters? I would think this would eliminate this from happening possibly??
    Teach wrote: »
    Either shorten the mag release, or switch to a pocket gun with a mag release at the bottom of the grip frame. I carry a Polish P-64 that retains the magazine with a bottom release, and it never comes loose. Of course, I also carry IWB with a belt clip holster, so it's almost impossible to get into magazine trouble with that type of carry.
    Jerry

I have a Berreta .32 with mag release like you mentioned, not my top choice for caliber but hey, more than one shot is a good thing!

EDITED: I am crazy, I havent pulled that thing out of the safe in a while, not what I was thinking of, the one I was thinking of is a Sterling .22 - I DONT THINK SO! LOL
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,635 Senior Member
    Never had it happen----PT-92 and a thunder.

Pocket carry a revolver and don't worry about it.

Seriously, looser pockets.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,530 Senior Member
    Stop wearing Skinny Jeans.

:-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    NN wrote: »
    Never had it happen----PT-92 and a thunder.

Pocket carry a revolver and don't worry about it.

Seriously, looser pockets.

I haven't found a small enough revolver to pocket carry comfortably. I have a Smith 642, which is about the smallest and lightest I have felt, it is just too much for pocket carry for me. Although, I do have a few NAA mini's but again - THAT AIN'T HAPPENING!
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

I much prefer pocket pistols with a heel catch type release. With some small autos I have fired (like the Kel-Tec PF-9), you had to be careful with your hold or you could drop the mag while firing.
    Zee wrote: »
    Stop wearing Skinny Jeans.

:-)

Or lose some weight, which I really need to do! :jester:
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I carry a kel-tec in a holster Chris made for me years ago. I had the same problem until I filed the release. It is that simple.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    Small frame, "hammerless" revolver.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Small frame, "hammerless" revolver.

Yep, got one of those too, a revolver for pocket carry just doesn't work for me.

49.jpg
    The more I think about a hard plastic pocket holster, the more I think that would work. If it covers the magazine release I wouldn't see anyway it could be depressed.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,425 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    Yep, got one of those too, a revolver for pocket carry just doesn't work for me.

49.jpg

What does not work? Pockets too shallow?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I wear jeans to work every day. A revolver is too bulky for me. I have tried it in the past and did not care for it.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Stop getting excited with you gun in your pocket. Come to think of it, if you're pressing that little button by getting excited, your magazine is the least of your worries.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    I wear jeans to work every day. A revolver is too bulky for me. I have tried it in the past and did not care for it.

My 642 disappears in the front pocket of my Carharts, go shopping with your J-Frame 'till you find some jeans.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    cpj wrote: »
    Ain't NO way I could carry a revolver in my pocket. Hell Chapstick in my pocket bugs me.
    Thats because Mr. Happy feels inferior next to your chapstick.
    Doesn't work with Levi's for me. I am with cpj on this one. I won't pocket carry a revolver.
    I either need a new pocket holster or file down the release. Really don't want to butcher my release but this may be the best solution. I may try to find one of the kydex locally and check it out first. In the mean time I will be conscious of making sure the mag is seated. Thanks for the replies.
    Doesn't work with Levi's for me. I am with cpj on this one. I won't pocket carry a revolver.
    I either need a new pocket holster or file down the release. Really don't want to butcher my release but this may be the best solution. I may try to find one of the kydex locally and check it out first. In the mean time I will be conscious of making sure the mag is seated. Thanks for the replies.

Don't buy Levi's, try Carharts, as a bonus they are made better than Levi's and hold up to some normal use without ripping, I carry my 642 in an Uncle Mikes Side Kick, it is a non-descript bulge in my front pocket, don't start filing on a gun when you can buy some new jeans instead.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,530 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Thats because Mr. Happy feels inferior next to your chapstick.

Oh SNAP!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    No, it's because there ain't room for both mr happy and Chapstick.
    Guess that explains how you can pocket carry a revolver, huh tiny?

Revolver to the right, Mr. Happy dresses to the left, no arguing, symmetry as they say.
    Ppffffft.
    It's a 5 dollar piece of plastic. File away.

$20 jeans AND you are not giving money to Levi's pet causes.
    That's uh, disturbing.
    How we can go from pocket carried pistols ejecting their magazines to which way it points is beyond me.

Duh, it is called enabling, buy a J-Frame. Granted, the OP has one, but if Mr. Happy is encroaching on the pocket space, then new pants are in order to be tested and tried, not some filing on a perfectly functional gun, at least the holster suggestions should be investigated.

What flavor of lip gloss are you using:jester:.
    That's uh, disturbing.
    How we can go from pocket carried pistols ejecting their magazines to which way it points is beyond me.

Who hung up the pinata, me or you?:roll2:
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    I carry my LC9 in a DeSaints Nemisis and have never had the mag come loose however I carry it in my right hip pocket, and I wear carpenter jeans or Wrangler Ranger pants to have big enough pockets.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Holy crap I forgot all about that. It still holding up?

Yep. Pretty much every day since it arrived. Great holster. Thanks!

TSA you don't have to "butcher" the mag release. I made several light passes over several weeks. When the mag stopped popping out I stopped removing material. There is still plenty of exposed button to function properly.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,655 Senior Member
    On the rare occasion that I carry the Kel Tec P3AT instead of my Shield I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Galco-Pocket-Protector-Holster-Natural/dp/B000U3XZDG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398255241&sr=8-3&keywords=p3at+pocket+holster

Never have had a problem with the Mag coming out when I did not do it on purpose.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Stupid question here maybe, are you guys taking the magazine release off the gun and filing the inside or outside?