Home Main Category Clubhouse

Metal workers.. opinions? Best bench belt sander?

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,992 Senior Member
I am fresh off of watching about 15 knife making videos, and I see a bench top belt sander being essential for anyone serious about it.

OK, I'm not really serious about it.

However, it intrigues me enough that I want to look into buying a bench mounted belt sander. I can see it being really handy and I don't want to buy junk and I don't need a $1000 unit.

Any ideas?

I want to look into a propane / gas fed forge as well. My backyard is going to look like a small 'smithy :yikes:

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    I would look at Grizzly
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This. It's the same Chinese sanders you buy elsewhere, but cheaper since
    There is no middle man.

Budget?

I have no budget. Not that price is no object, it just means I haven't got a clue. I want a tool that will last and takes a variety of belts that aren't special or expensive. I don't know if a two inch or four inch belt is best.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »

That one is too much... I like the looks of this....

g0547-3933df1cacdefdb6c3cf4cbc812faa6b.jpg

$130 plus delivery...

D
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    I use the well known craftsman 2x42 belt grinder. It is often recommended for the knifemakers first grinder.

Grizzly also gets a lot of nods
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Dan , when I was making knives for the John Ek Knife Co. we used " Square Wheel " belt grinders with a 2" x 72" belt, you can buy them at fastenal.com, I had one in my shop. You can also build your own using a 1 hp. 3400 rpm motor and a back stand idler.

If you just want a sander, I bought a el cheapo at Harbor Fright Salvage it lasted for over 10yrs. it had a 6" x 48" belt and a 10" disk, they cost about $220.00, not the greatest but they work.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT