Got my own new pointy/stabby/cutty thing with an SV30 Blade

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 19,018 Senior Member
Last week, Midway had the S30V bladed model of the Kershaw Blur on sale.

Being a "steel snob" when it comes to my pocket knives, I couldn't refuse a knife with that grade of steel blade for that price. It arrived today. While I like the fact that the clip is reversible from "tip down" to "tip up" carry in the right pocket, (I prefer tip up/ clip opposite of the blade pivot) I WISH it was also reversible for left pocket carry.

My PM40 normally resides in my right front pocket and my Griptillian in my left. So, until I get the handles drilled and tapped so I can move the clip to the opposite side, it's going to be relegated to being carried only when either 1) I can't carry (work) or 2) I'm carrying a different handgun in a mode other than my normal pocket carry.

For those unfamiliar with the Blur, it's an assisted opening knife with what's listed as a 3.375" blade
kershaw-blur-s30v-1670s30v-398-B_zps7ccb38bf.jpg

And concerning S30V, here's what Buck says about it on their website
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=about.feature
S30V

This is the absolute best blade steel available and it's made in America. S30V contains carbon as well as high amounts of chromium, molybdenum and vanadium. Double-tempered – it can be hardened to a Rockwell hardness of RC 59.5-61.

Here's a PDF from crucible.com with more technical information about it,
http://www.crucible.com/PDFs%5CDataSheets2010%5CdsS30Vv1%202010.pdf
CPM S30V is a martensitic stainless steel designed to offer
the best combination of toughness, wear resistance and
corrosion resistance. Its chemistry has been specially
balanced to promote the formation of vanadium carbides
which are harder and more effective than chromium carbides
in providing wear resistance. CPM S30V offers substantial
improvement in toughness over other high hardness
steels such as 440C and D2, and its corrosion resistance
is equal to or better than 440C in various environments.
The CPM process produces very homogeneous, high
quality steel characterized by superior dimensional stability,
grindability, and toughness compared to steels produced
by conventional processes.

As a pocket knife aficionado, I can assure you that you owe it to yourself to own at least one knife with an S30V blade in your life.

Buck also makes a smaller knife with that steel, for those of you that don't like a knife this large
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,778 Senior Member
    I like the Blur. One of my favorite models.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member
    I still love my Griptillians, but I couldn't pass up a comparable s30V bladed knife that was ~$30 cheaper than they are.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    The Buck Blur is one of my favorites as well, but I can't find them locally anymore, so I use a Shrade with ST6C, for whatever that means.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,212 Senior Member
    If I ever lose my RAT-1, that would be in my pocket...I like it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,127 Senior Member
    Looked up Buck S30V blades; ouch! Cheapest is $103, followed by $124. Most are $142 and a couple are $195. I'm not saying they aren't worth the price, but again.......ouch!

Tell me again where I can get one like yours?
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 727 Senior Member
    Ive had a couple of s30V blades in the past, mostly Spyderco, and I much prefer VG10 steel. The s30V seemed almost brittle if you had a very fine edge.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,778 Senior Member
    I don't care about blade material one bit, really. Couldn't tell you what any of my knives are made out of.

I care more about deployment, blade design, edge, and handle. In that order.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jgunpilotjgunpilot Member Posts: 211 Member

I missed the sale at Midway, but I got one of these Junk Yard Dog Composite blades from KershawGuy.com since I was looking. Thanks for the heads up, Knitepoet.
    "Remember, the state appointed psychiatrist is not your friend." - Jack Handey®
    Tell me again where I can get one like yours?
    Not on sale anymore, but it came from here
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2424111567/kershaw-blur-folding-tactical-knife-3375-stainless-steel-blade-aluminum-handle?

jgunpilot wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up, Knitepoet.
    You're welcome :beer: