Remembering the '72 Dolphins

41magnut41magnut Senior MemberPosts: 1,161 Senior Member
How many remember the only undefeated team in NFL history? I had forgotten some (OK, most, all right, all.) of the details of that season.
As far as I'm concerned this was the glory days of the NFL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-nfl-quarterback-earl-morrall-dies-79-175325146--spt.html
"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yep, an all time great may he RIP :angel2::angel2:

That year/season (1972) I was 18 , getting married just before I was 19 and not much into pro-football.

I do remember a lot of TV news-papers/radio talk about the Dolphins, though.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,458 Senior Member
    RIP:angel:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    I was 12 years old and a football nut. On my wall in my bedroom was a Miami Dolphins poster and a Farah Faucett Poster.

dolphinsbannerbsi-1.jpg

farrah_fawcett.jpg
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I grew up in Kansas City and watched the Dolphins a lot, as they were one of the upstart AFL teams. Great fun football, epic games between the Chiefs and Raiders!

Luckily, went to the wonderful Super Bowl IV, Tulane stadium, NuOrleanz, saw the Chiefs whup the Vikes 23-7!

Chiefs and Dolphins have sadly been mired in mediocrity for many years after, only recently have the Chiefs begun to win games again. And the Dolphins? Well, there's always 1972 videos to watch.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    I was a football snob until 1972. I would only watch Packer games. Then I saw the Emaculent Reception, and was permanently hooked on anything football. Morrell could have started for just about any team, to bad he had to start behind Unitas. He was the kind of player who could come into a game and play a good the starter.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I was 12 years old and a football nut. On my wall in my bedroom was a Miami Dolphins poster and a Farah Faucett Poster.

dolphinsbannerbsi-1.jpg

farrah_fawcett.jpg

Thanks for reminding me how old I am ****. :tooth:
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,161 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I grew up in Kansas City and watched the Dolphins a lot, as they were one of the upstart AFL teams. Great fun football, epic games between the Chiefs and Raiders!

Luckily, went to the wonderful Super Bowl IV, Tulane stadium, NuOrleanz, saw the Chiefs whup the Vikes 23-7!

Chiefs and Dolphins have sadly been mired in mediocrity for many years after, only recently have the Chiefs begun to win games again. And the Dolphins? Well, there's always 1972 videos to watch.

I remember that Super Bowl quite well.
    The KC Chiefs were formerly know as the Dallas Texans IIRC. One of my childhood idols played for them for them, E. J. Holub. Played linebacker and later center until his retirement. He was also the first All American selection for the Texas Tech Red Raiders. GUNZ UP! (Our hand signal/ gester would get you arrested in some jurisdictions) Finally met him in person a few years back at a Texas Tech University function. Thrilled to meet him even this long after his retirement. He get around much better after double knee replacement. Raises Quarter Horses in Oklahoma.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • remmagremmag Member Posts: 92 Member
    I thought there were more than 72 dolphins left. wish there were only that many seal lions...
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Since Shula, the fins have been plagued with poor GMs and coaches. We have become a team that will suffer though a mediocre season by trading for has beens, never will be's, and hard luck cases. Our owner, Ross, has just now drawn the connection between winning and more money. But even still, the trend continues. He refuses to admit to fans we need to start at zero and rebuild. The fans know we need to do it, but he will not face the cameras and tell us we are going to build the team the city and fans deserve. I have very little hope we will ever return the glory days of the 70s and 80s when the Fins were a team that other teams feared in their schedule.. No we are welcomed in the schedule.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."