Learn me on folding knives

agewonagewon Senior MemberPosts: 655 Senior Member
Been looking to get a new pocket knife and reading the reviews on some sites, there are ALOT of knife snobs. Ill admit that as long as its sharp and will hold up, its good enough, but now im wanting a little more.
Right now i have a Gerber and a Kershaw. Both are about 10 years old and heres what i like, the Gerber is well built and solid. Its taken a beating over the years and still opens the same. That being said, it still opens stiff. Not nearly as fluid as the Kershaw i have. And the Kershaw blad is RAZOR sharp, but feels cheaply made. Very light but i dont get that good feeling about durability.
Im looking to get an assisted open, and needs to be functional and easy to sharpen with water stones. NOT looking for tacti-cool or anything thats going to make me look like a wannabe. What say you?

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,656 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Kershaw Blur. with the S30V blade Best knife for the money out there.
    FIFY Pierre :beer:
    I'll admit I'm a blade snob.
    AUS-8 steel is about the lowest quality blade I will buy.
    According to Buck knives and other sources S30V is currently the best blade steel currently available.

You can pick up the S30V Blur from Midway for $79.99 with free shipping
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2424111567/kershaw-blur-folding-tactical-knife-3375-stainless-steel-blade-aluminum-handle
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I've got a nice little Kershaw Ken Onion assisted-open knife, had it for years, keep its blade, works great.

I deliberately chose a smallish knife, and one that's slender, so the model I have ain't fer bear fightin' y'know. It's not fancy either, just black finish and small.

Understand that "assisted opening" knives may in some states be judged as "switchblades" and therefore illegal. So be careful depending on where you live.

I think that Kershaws are a pretty good bargain generally, not perfect but worth the money and not overpriced.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I think that Kershaws are a pretty good bargain generally, not perfect but worth the money and not overpriced.

This.

And I'll add Spyderco and CRKT to the list.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I've got a Gerber lightweight that must be out of production but the blade is heavy enough for it to open with a flick of the wrist. Had it 7-8 years, works great and holds an edge well. Hope nothing happens to it because knife hunting is as bad as gun hunting. :worthy: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,345 Senior Member
    My EDC knife is a Kershaw as well. I forget the model name, (Junkyard dog?) but I don't think they make it anymore, so that doesn't much matter. Every Kershaw I've had has been a good value. Good knives, great for everything.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    ......And I'll add Spyderco ......

Sir! Sir!

Got mine;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9dy9asgAVTavXx4f9qgXKGiz4cI8i0ChUttWksLSw3xBO-G1kqw

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    Sir! Sir!

Got mine;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9dy9asgAVTavXx4f9qgXKGiz4cI8i0ChUttWksLSw3xBO-G1kqw

My current favorite EDC is a modified Spyderco Endura.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    My current favorite EDC is a modified Spyderco Endura.

I think you posted a photo of it, looks very handy. :up:

Not a UK Friendly Carry as is but modified.............:yikes:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,736 Senior Member
    How deep is your pocket? M390 Super Steel must use some alien technology or something.

http://www.bladeops.com/Benchmade-581-Barrage-AXIS-Spring-Assist-Knife-Pl-p/ben581.htm

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,499 Senior Member
    Kershaw. Pick the one that suits you. I have several, they take quite a beating.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    I'll second that S30V steel recommendation. Don't have a lot of knife experience but I do have a Spyderco Manix and a Benchmade Griptillion. Both with S30V blades and they were razor sharp out of the box and have yet to lose their edge.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,724 Senior Member
    Zee he said FOLDER, the blade "folds" into the handle thingy. ;) but you do have to admire the mall ninjaness of the " knife"
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,724 Senior Member
    Oh, just go with a benchmade great knives I've carried the same one for 3 years now. No complaints, from a guy that uses knives everyday. (I manage a meat market and cut a crap ton of meat.)
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,717 Senior Member
    olesniper wrote: »
    How deep is your pocket? M390 Super Steel must use some alien technology or something.

http://www.bladeops.com/Benchmade-581-Barrage-AXIS-Spring-Assist-Knife-Pl-p/ben581.htm

Wow, you would unzip someone in a SD situation with one of those.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    olesniper wrote: »

Ummmm.....no. Not really.

I have a handfull of Case's and a BenchMade plus a drawerfull of kitchen knives that'll match him cut for cut.

This video is somewhat sleight of hand. I do it myself, all the time, when demonstrating the difference between a "sharp" blade and a" not sharp" blade to the uninitiated. (The reason is being teaching the lesson that a sharp blade is safer than a not sharp blade.) The manner and angle at which he holds the media is very conducive to allowing a blade of moderate sharpness to "grip", and therefore, "cut". "Slashing" ( meaning forward and downward motion) cuts against a media of moderate resistance don't require much of a degree of sharpness.

Forgetting teaching the uninitiated, and forget the fact that a "razor sharp" blade is pretty much useless unless you shave with your knife.....the ultimate test that I've found for a blades sharpness is to get a sheet of yellow legal paper (hardly any resistance at all) , and using only a "push" motion (no "sawing" or other motion allowed) split the blue line in half. If you wind up with an equal amount of blue on each side of the cut.......well......you've done well.

This is impressive as crap even to us (and I consider myself one) that know how to sharpen knives to an incredibly scary edge. But.....that's also a pretty useless edge. The first bone you hit will turn it into something not much sharper than a paper clip.

A knife should only be as sharp as required to do it's intended task. More than that is detrimental. Unless, of course, you take knife sharpening to the same degree as benchrest shooting. If so, all bets are off.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Still, that has a good edge on it, do you think it would hold an edge longer than a kitchen knife?.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 388 Member
    I dunno why but Kershaw has a real bad reputation in this part of the world. Everyone I know carries gerber for almost any knife need. Personally I have a drop point Kershaw Outlaw Bill folder that's been on my belt for going close to 20 years. it's the one in the attatched picture but mine is black handle instead of OD green

http://www.jaysknives.com/kershawDWO/KershawODGreenLockBack.jpg
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    Ok, learn me something. What's "UK legal"?

It is all in the link.

https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-buy-or-carry-a-knife

The up and down is,

'' non locking blades with a blade length of 3" or less '',

old-fashioned pen ( pocket ) knife really.

'' A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.''

It is illegal to:
    ''use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife........)''

Hmmm................. that may include Zee's emergency tracheotomy procedure.

There are quite a few types to choose from, all UK Legal, I just like the blade shape on mine.

Looking around now for a stud to fit the blade, see how it works with just the thumb.

Like this;

If you see any on your travels let me know, I will send you two 5/- shilling postal order to cover the cost.

10491.JPG

:jester:

USUFB wrote: »
    I'm guessing something like this............

The scale of the photo may have given you a bum steer.
    It is in fact a two handed knife...............:tooth:

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,976 Senior Member
    Same on military bases .................3" limit.
    WOOT has Kershaw Ken Onion on sale fer $34 toady.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Still, that has a good edge on it, do you think it would hold an edge longer than a kitchen knife?.

Depends on the knife, really. I have BenchMade folder, a couple Case Ridgebacks, and four Mercer kitchen knives that that will hold an edge like that for a really long time. With the exception of the BenchMade, these are all moderately priced knives that perform well outside their price range.

OTOH, I have 3 Kiwi kitchen knives that I paid less than $4 each for. They will actually get sharper than any of the aforementioned blades, but against anything tougher than a cucumber the edge folds like butter. The nice part is, though, that the steel is so soft that 2-3 swipes on a smooth steel and you're back in business slicing over ripe tomatoes paper thin.

I'm not a knife snob from a price/looks standpoint, but I am pretty particular about which knife does what task. When big game hunting I'll have the Case Trapper for general work, the Ridgeback for skinning, the BenchMade for heavier cutting, and an Estwing hatchet for the really tough stuff. The Rigebacks have the finest edge, the Trappers next, then the BenchMade with a less refined edge for heavier/bone contact.

The kitchen knives are pretty much mission specific also, with the blade honed to the degree necessary for the task.

As an aside, if you're in the market for kitchen knives, check out Mercer Cutlery. Most of their knives will be in the $30-$40 range and IMO, are the best deal going on blades right now. I wish they made hunting type knives. They would possibly replace my beloved Ridgeback skinners.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    How sad.
    .....that's disgusting.

No.
    Not really.

This is though.

Wirral Cricket Club three all out in Cheshire League match;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/27177518

''Ten Wirral Cricket Club batsmen were out for ducks, only the number 11 troubled the scorers, with the other runs coming from two leg byes.''

My local borough team. :bang:

Linefinder wrote: »
    Depends on the knife, really. I have BenchMade folder, a couple Case Ridgebacks, and four Mercer kitchen knives that that will hold an edge like that for a really long time. With the exception of the BenchMade, these are all moderately priced knives that perform well outside their price range.

OTOH, I have 3 Kiwi kitchen knives that I paid less than $4 each for. They will actually get sharper than any of the aforementioned blades, but against anything tougher than a cucumber the edge folds like butter. The nice part is, though, that the steel is so soft that 2-3 swipes on a smooth steel and you're back in business slicing over ripe tomatoes paper thin.

I'm not a knife snob from a price/looks standpoint, but I am pretty particular about which knife does what task. When big game hunting I'll have the Case Trapper for general work, the Ridgeback for skinning, the BenchMade for heavier cutting, and an Estwing hatchet for the really tough stuff. The Rigebacks have the finest edge, the Trappers next, then the BenchMade with a less refined edge for heavier/bone contact.

The kitchen knives are pretty much mission specific also, with the blade honed to the degree necessary for the task.

As an aside, if you're in the market for kitchen knives, check out Mercer Cutlery. Most of their knives will be in the $30-$40 range and IMO, are the best deal going on blades right now. I wish they made hunting type knives. They would possibly replace my beloved Ridgeback skinners.

Mike

My EDC is a locking blade Victoronix, my max on a knife is about $30-40, easier to sharpen is more what I am looking for, but that usually means it dulls faster, the Kershaws and SOG's are on sale here and there, I have a pile stashed for graduation gifts, got to get the kids used to packing a knife daily at a later age.

I just have some stainless kitchen stuff from a DU Banquet, easy to sharpen stuff again. Hunting knives are Buck or Schrade, I have to putz with those to get them sharp, JB Ohio touched them up nice after working on his elk.
    My EDC is a locking blade Victoronix,

I hold Victornix steel in high regard. Most of the real working knives in my sister's flower shop are Victornix. They'll take a fine edge and hold it much longer than you'd expect it to. One of the things that impresses me about Victornix's floral knives is that the blade is beveled on only one side, and flat on the other. This makes touching up the edge a snap....ten seconds without even really paying attention and you're back in business. I've often wondered why other knifemakers haven't picked up on this "single bevel" concept. There may be some knife chores that require a double bevel, but truth is.....I can't think of one offhand. And it sure makes sharpening a whole lot less complicated.

At $30-$40, Mercer's fall within your price range. Next time you're looking for a good kitchen knife, google them up. Don't let the fact that they're made in Taiwan scare you off. Henkle's just wish they were as good.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    I hold Victornix steel in high regard. Most of the real working knives in my sister's flower shop are Victornix. They'll take a fine edge and hold it much longer than you'd expect it to. One of the things that impresses me about Victornix's floral knives is that the blade is beveled on only one side, and flat on the other. This makes touching up the edge a snap....ten seconds without even really paying attention and you're back in business. I've often wondered why other knifemakers haven't picked up on this "single bevel" concept. There may be some knife chores that require a double bevel, but truth is.....I can't think of one offhand. And it sure makes sharpening a whole lot less complicated.

At $30-$40, Mercer's fall within your price range. Next time you're looking for a good kitchen knife, google them up. Don't let the fact that they're made in Taiwan scare you off. Henkle's just wish they were as good.

Mike

Will they survive 4 boys in the house in your opinion? Most of what I have now has a bent tip and some minor nicks from the kids.
    There is no knife that can survive that. Maybe you can train them though. But you are married. Ain't a kitchen knife (or any knife, for that matter) that can survive a woman.

There are usually band-aids on fingers within 24 hours of me sharpening them, I warn them.
    Will they survive 4 boys in the house in your opinion? Most of what I have now has a bent tip and some minor nicks from the kids.

Well, not many knives will survive being used as a screwdriver or prybar. OTOH, you'd probably not have to sleep with them under your pillow.

Mercer's come from the factory sharp, and I don't say that lightly. One or two nicks and the boys will learn fast enough. Possibly minus a finger, but fast enough.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    Well, not many knives will survive being used as a screwdriver or prybar. OTOH, you'd probably not have to sleep with them under your pillow.

Mercer's come from the factory sharp, and I don't say that lightly. One or two nicks and the boys will learn fast enough. Possibly minus a finger, but fast enough.

Mike

Someones always bleeding or bandaged at my house, especially since the snow melted a couple weeks ago:) I am going to check out Mercers tonight, thanks.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,037 Senior Member
    I lose knives, so many I can't count. I used to be a knife snob but am no longer. I have a Fallkniven folder, my second one and a fairly expensive knofe(lost the first) and a Gerber Bolt-action which is less expensive but lightweight and sharp. I've had it for years. Both are production knives, and both are great knives, but I have a bad, really bad habit, of losing knives. So what I carry now is a NRA knife, made in China. It's 440 SS and does every thing I want a knife to do. Since it was "free" with a signup, I won't be suffering if I lose it, which I would do soon if it were a nice knife.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06