The diet starts today! Who wants to join me? 04/26/14

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,810 Senior Member
I got on the scale this morning and it groaned and said 230 lbs. That's as heavy as I ever let myself get and is grounds for me to start a diet. My ideal weight is 205 lbs. So starting today I am going to get in better shape and drop 25 lbs like a bad habit!

My intent is 25 lbs in 10 weeks.

Do I have any challengers? Participants?

Perhaps a wager to make it interesting?

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,085 Senior Member
    You're a big guy!! I mean tall, 230 doesn't seem so bad.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    No taker from this old guy -- I already did the diet thing in Jan/Feb and went from 192 to 152 in about 4-5 weeks. Doctor supervised fast weight loss, incidentally. So I now fluctuate around the low 150s and that's pretty okay, doc says.

Recommendations, Big...
    1. Watch the sodium and cut sodium as much as possible. It holds body fluids and prevents loss.
    2. Avoid diet sodas and stick with unsweetened ice tea (or artificially sweetened).
    3. Need I say no alcoholic beverages? Maybe 1 glass of wine w. dinner daily is fine.
    4. Maximize variety of foods as much as you can -- lean chicken roasted not fried, broiled fish, a small amount of very lean roasted or grilled beef, mix and match relieves boredom.
    5. Fill up on fresh green salads, veggies, fresh fruit as much as you can.
    6. Get some exercise -- it helps, not as much to burn calories but to maximize your metabolism.
    7. If you fall off the wagon and splurge on that double cheeseburger or 4 beers, don't despair, just climb back on the wagon the next day. We're all human.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Be careful with artificial sweeteners; I know people who had health problems (migraines, GI troubles, neuropathy) that resulted from using artificial sweeteners in their coffee and soft drinks. Stick with something like turbinado sugar in moderation. Your body processes it better than the fake stuff.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    I splurge on Thursday lunch at Rotary, I just won't eat dessert.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,736 Senior Member
    The diet starts today! Who wants to join me? 04/26/14?

Guess that leaves me out.............I would have had to start yesterday.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Laugh, and the forum laughs with you. Diet, and you diet ALONE.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Laugh, and the forum laughs at you. Diet, and you diet ALONE.
    fify
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,471 Senior Member
    I already started on one and have a wager with Linda. Winner gets their choice of a new couch or a new pistol. The bad part for me is the first two weeks I gained two pounds. This week I am trying something different and I will see Sunday morning.
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Be careful with artificial sweeteners; I know people who had health problems (migraines, GI troubles, neuropathy) that resulted from using artificial sweeteners in their coffee and soft drinks. Stick with something like turbinado sugar in moderation. Your body processes it better than the fake stuff.

Good advice, dude. It's important to have knowledge of how certain additives affect you and such. Most folks tolerate sweeteners unless of course they overuse them.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    cpj wrote: »
    Great advice except the last part. PURPOSELY fall off the wagon once per week. Typically Friday or Saturday. It rewards you for being good all week, kicks your metabolism, and has the added benefit of making you feel like dog crap....making it harder to pig out knowing how you are going to feel

Mmmm, I say from lots of personal experience to stretch that to every 2 weeks. Once a week is too often. Thing is, your body adjusts to being on a diet at the beginning and it takes usually 2-3 days to hit stride. That's why some people who start a diet are amazed to not lose weight or seem to gain weight at the very start. Your body's still adjusting and still processing what you ate 2 days prior.

If you splurge once a week, your body gets all wappajawed (a scientific term!) and doesn't "know" what you want, and your weight loss varies all to hell and gone.

Also, you really don't hit stride in a diet until several days in, and you don't want to break it too soon, psychologically it gives you an excuse to cheat too frequently.

I'd recommend a mild splurge only every 10 days at the shortest.

• JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    I'm in, too.
    I started mine last Monday.

Lunch today was a
    Subway 6" ham & turkey, white cheese, lettuce onions, tomatoes, and jalapeno peppers (I still say hot peppers are one of the best things you can eat) w/ honey mustard.
    Bag of baked Lays, 24oz Dasani water.

Dinner was a lean ham sandwich on wheat bread, mustard and lettuce.
    Half a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, glass of orange juice, and 10 oz glass of water.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
    I say from personal experience once a week works. So do a couple hundred other people I know who follow the same program.
    Not everyone is old like you.

You know a couple hundred people? I yield to the superior intellect.

Plus of course I'm old. Why, I barely was able to write 15000 words this week.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    I'll pass, I was 199 this morning.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,085 Senior Member
    The once a week thing does work, for me anyway.

I don't diet so to speak but I do try to eat healthy. That's what you do when you are over 50 and and your family is littered with heart attack deaths. Anyway when I gave up the deserts, fried and other high fat foods, my weight did drop…about 20 lbs. I still have the bad for me foods and deserts on weekends and the weight stays off. When I do eat those foods I modify my habits a bit. Like today I ordered fish and chips for lunch. I ate the fish and told them to hold the fries. I still eat bacon burgers, but no cheese or mayo and again…hold the fries. Small changes can make a big difference.

Another change you can make is portion control. Most restaurants serve you enough food for two people or two meals. You don't have to eat ALL the food on your plate at one sitting. I was raised that it was a sin not to clean my plate so that one took some re-programming.

And like Mr Larsen said…watch out for the artificial sweeteners. Your body just can't process that stuff properly so too much can cause other problems.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I'll pass, I was 199 this morning.

Dang, you is much older than I thought, I didn't think you were a day over 150 :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I think there are a few common sense guidelines for dieting, but each person is different and have their own metabolism and lifestyles to consider.

I feel good at a tad over 200 pounds and 6'1" a few less pounds would be OK, but I ain't too worried about it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Day 1 down, ate 1450 calories yesterday, weighed in this morning at 229. 69 days and 24 lbs to go...

I use myfitnesspal.com to track my food and weight,

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

I like the barcode scanner that can lookup the food you are eating and knows what is in it.

D
    Edit:sorry, I shouldn't have called You a dick.

I have a friend who makes his leaving coaching people how to eat. His plan includes a WEEKLY cheat meal. I'll take his success over your opinion.

You didn't call me a name, you just implied that my being older disqualified my knowing things.

I'm not saying that a weekly cheat meal won't work. I AM saying that it is too frequent and a larger gap between "cheats" works a lot better. It's about metabolic activity and cyclic functions of the enzymes and general digestive system. The calendar week is an artificial cycle and 7 days intervals are too short, as it actually takes 2 or 3 days for the body to adjust to a diet, and so, by weekly cheats, you're just getting up to speed and you introduce a speed bump.

I know that your friend has hundreds of adherents to his plan. This is all well and good. But what works pretty well for his classes could work even better. It's not my "opinion" either. It's clinical facts about the metabolic cycle.

Psychologically, "scheduling" a cheat day or weekly meal is also unwise. Food habits are hard to break and setting up another scheduled "habit" works against the whole idea of transforming an overeating mentality into a proper eating lifestyle. The idea is to NOT have a cycle or schedule or any sort of timetable. The whole thrust of a proper weight loss program is to break habits, and setting up a habitual one-per-week cheat meal is an artificial construct that tends to perpetuate a habit per se.

The whole idea of "cheating" -- which I agree is an okay thing occasionally -- is to NOT schedule that "cheat meal" but to let it come naturally, unscheduled, as the body's metabolism will "ask" for a break when it needs it.

From personal experience, setting aside, say, Friday or Saturday to have the hamburger & fries doesn't work. I may actually not feel that hungry for the cheat meal and to schedule one is re-introducing a ritual where no rituals is the key idea. What I found to work is that my body will let me know when those fries (or whatever) is wanted, and it's then that I enjoy the cheat meal more, as it's not a scheduled thing but arises from within.

Speaking from experience (you can insert your own success story here), myself, having lost nearly 80 pounds from last year, and 40 pounds in one month. And I've kept the weight off, too, weighing 154 today, Sun Apr 27.

And although you know a couple hundred people who are satisfied w. their weekly cheat meal (amazed that I am -- I scarcely know 50 people total, that you know a couple hundred solely who are witnesses to the weekly cheat meal thing), it's far better to let your body do the talking and if so, you'll find that the urge to cheat isn't calendar based, but metabolic based.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,503 Senior Member
    I got a second job a few years back and that was my diet plan. Less time to eat and more calories burned due to extra work = weight loss. I hover right around 200 right now, but I had been as low as 187 a few months back. Got a lot more money to blow on Cheetos and Lattes too! :tooth:

Edited to add: I had been as high as 245 back in the day, but I was weightlifting every day, so I was not fat. Years later, at 235, I looked pretty bad...:yikes:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    OK then, I'm going on a supportive diet.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    No, actually I did. I edited the post. Not sure why though.

And the hundreds of people I "know" are the clients of my friend who post their results on facebook. Lots of them I went to school with. Of course, that's probably still hard for you to believe, but whatever.

Ok , enough arguing with mr eloquent ....this fat boy starts off at 209.7.

FIFY

Good luck on the diet, dude. Keep on keepin' on, and all that rot.

Anyone else who has an opinion and defends it here: Forthright and solidly constituted, a right to his opinion, by golly.
    Sam who has an opinion and defends it here: cantankerous. (but eloquent)

OK then, I'm going on a supportive diet.

Same here, I'll be rooting and hope things come out okay for all contestants!

My highest recorded weight via actual hospital clinic weigh-in, Jan 5, 2011: 236.5. Awful but true. And this was only "recent" because at one time I'd bulked out at about 280!

Today, out of the shower weight, 154.0. delta = 82.5 pounds lost.

• minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 725 Senior Member
    Im in but I already started in February. Doing primal diet and running 2-3 miles a day. So far dropped 20lbs and am 10lbs away from the wife buying me a new gun.
    Im in but I already started in February. Doing primal diet and running 2-3 miles a day. So far dropped 20lbs and am 10lbs away from the wife buying me a new gun.

Go shooter go!

I like to keep things in perspective. 8 lbs is a one gallon water container, and I need to lose three of them. If I strapped three 1 gallon jugs to my back all day it would kill me, yet gaining it over time seems manageable.

D
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    Wife and I are back on the diet wagon starting today. Have had a rough last 2 months and a slightly less rough last year work wise. Will weigh myself in the AM, guessing around 225, need to go to 200. Back to the gym in the morning at least 3 times a week, and back on the bike, hopefully get back to what I was doing, 30-35 miles. Bike to drop pounds along with diet, gym to tone up mainly. Used to be 255, dropped to 200, slowly crept back up, too many things going on work wise and too many out of town long road trips. That is changing, a good thing, back to my old schedule.

So I guess I am in!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    I'm still on the band wagon, I did not eat everything and then some tonight.
    Sunday 4/27
    Breakfast: bowl of Kashi cereal w. 2% skim milk, washing down 7 cardio prescription meds
    Lunch: large tossed salad w. diet Russkie dressing & 4 sesame crackers
    Dinner: can of tuna w. 2 Tbsp cranberry sauce**, 4 sesame crackers
    Dessert: 2 sesame crackers w. 1 Tbsp lowfat peanut butter
    Snacks: 3 tangerines
    Liquids: 4 bottles of water
    Late night: 2 more cardio meds washed down w. fresh grapefruit juice

** whole berry cranberry sauce is a tasty and lowfat condiment that goes well w. tuna, broiled fish, grilled chicken, etc. Honest.

samzhere wrote: »
    Sunday 4/27
    Breakfast: bowl of Kashi cereal w. 2% skim milk, washing down 7 cardio prescription meds
    Lunch: large tossed salad w. diet Russkie dressing & 4 sesame crackers
    Dinner: can of tuna w. 2 Tbsp cranberry sauce**, 4 sesame crackers
    Dessert: 2 sesame crackers w. 1 Tbsp lowfat peanut butter
    Snacks: 3 tangerines
    Liquids: 4 bottles of water
    Late night: 2 more cardio meds washed down w. fresh grapefruit juice

** whole berry cranberry sauce is a tasty and lowfat condiment that goes well w. tuna, broiled fish, grilled chicken, etc. Honest.
    That the stuff with flax seed in it; if so; I know how you lost all that weight. :yikes:
    I gotta lose this gut. My backs killing me because of it. Along with my feet and knees.

You can't even imagine the difference after losing the weight. I sleep easy, can lie flat on my back and breathe without difficulty, showering and even drying off is much easier, and it's also a treat to get into clothes you couldn't wear before.

That the stuff with flax seed in it; if so; I know how you lost all that weight. :yikes:

Er, some people may be eggbound but having bathroom stuff is called normal.

What's the old joke? "I always wanted a nice BMW but nowadays I can only look forward to a nice BM."