The diet starts today! Who wants to join me? 04/26/14

Replies

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    I'm not on a diet, per se, but I've lost 10 lbs in the last couple months. I've always watched what I eat. But, a grueling couple months at work, combined with moving to the country seem to be working. I'm down to 199, and would love to be 185. I'm gonna kick it up a notch.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Day three .. AM weight 225.5, down 4.5 lbs in two days. I love the start of a diet, and it will be a slow decent from here.

I start swimming at the masters program today for at least one month, maybe two. 1 hour swimming is good for 1000 calories.

FWIW, 3500 calories = 1 lb weight gain (surplus ) or loss ( in deficit )/ I plan on being 2000 calories in deficit average per day = 14000 per week = up to 4 lbs per week. At that pace I could be done in 50 days instead of 70.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Messed up w. the scale, it had some paper under the edge and wasn't giving the correct numbers. Now I got the correct starting weight -- I'll update this posting each day:
    Apr 27: 160.5 lbs
    Apr 28: 160.0
    Apr 29: 158.5
    May 1: 158.0 (slow, too slow)
    May 2: 158.0 --- stuck on TDC!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,675 Senior Member
    My dieting began with a health scare. Weight loss has been slow but I have not felt tired, slighted, or crave foods.

My starting weight was 248lbs, and hovering right around 193 now. I wore an XXL shirt and 42" waiste in slacks. Now its a loose Xl shirt and 36" slacks 38" for CCW IWB carry.

My goal is to lose another 20lbs this year and then maintain that weight forever.

The one day a week free day has worked for me. At first it was kill myself dieting all week to pig out and drink beer on friday or saturday. Now its just healthy through the week and maybe a little x-tra bbq or beer on saturday or take the wife out for dinner on friday.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,675 Senior Member
    Dude, thats a lot of Dew!!!

At one point my diet consisted of 1245 total calories a day
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    cpj wrote: »
    Two 44 ounce fountain drinks. Why am I fat?

Don't forget about the almost 400 MG's of caffeine, equal to three cups of coffee.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • remmagremmag Member Posts: 92 Member
    do I WANT to start a diet....yeah, kinda. Am I going to? Not as long as miy wife keeps cooking like she does.
    avmech wrote: »
    Wife and I are back on the diet wagon starting today. Have had a rough last 2 months and a slightly less rough last year work wise. Will weigh myself in the AM, guessing around 225, need to go to 200. Back to the gym in the morning at least 3 times a week, and back on the bike, hopefully get back to what I was doing, 30-35 miles. Bike to drop pounds along with diet, gym to tone up mainly. Used to be 255, dropped to 200, slowly crept back up, too many things going on work wise and too many out of town long road trips. That is changing, a good thing, back to my old schedule.

So I guess I am in!
    225 is where I'm at, and 55 year old. I go by the gym every day, on my way to work...sometimes I wave. 200 sounds good but somehow I think I'm just gonna get a bigger coffen.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Dude, thats a lot of Dew!!!

At one point my diet consisted of 1245 total calories a day
    mine too, I was 3 weeks old.
    cpj wrote: »
    I'll drop 5-7 pounds quickly, simply by cutting out Mt Dew. Rule number one, DON'T DRINK YOUR CALORIES! Soda, sweet tea, fu fu drinks at Starbucks are loaded with empty calories, and they sneak up on you. You don't pay much attention to them, it's "just a drink". It's not like you just ate 32 chicken wings.
    Damn. I just did the math. I was drinking over 1200 calories a DAY worth of Mt Dew.

but now what will you dew?
    Diver43 wrote: »
    My dieting began with a health scare. Weight loss has been slow but I have not felt tired, slighted, or crave foods.

My starting weight was 248lbs, and hovering right around 193 now. I wore an XXL shirt and 42" waiste in slacks. Now its a loose Xl shirt and 36" slacks 38" for CCW IWB carry.

My goal is to lose another 20lbs this year and then maintain that weight forever.

The one day a week free day has worked for me. At first it was kill myself dieting all week to pig out and drink beer on friday or saturday. Now its just healthy through the week and maybe a little x-tra bbq or beer on saturday or take the wife out for dinner on friday.

could you send me some of your will power?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Weight is holding steady.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Day four... morning weight 225 down 5 lbs from start. Breakfast was a berry banana mango smoothie, for 300 calories. I swam at the Masters Club yesterday at my daughters swim club and it beat me up. In one hour I managed 1200 yards. My 10year old girl makes 2500 to 3000 yds per 1.5 hours practice, 5 to 6 days a week! I feel soooooo humbled and proud of her achievements more than ever before.

I am fat, pale white and out of shape. But I can diet, exercise and get some sun!

D
    Swam 1400 yards today ... my exercise is done.

D
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Sunday 4/27
    Breakfast: bowl of Kashi cereal w. 2% skim milk, washing down 7 cardio prescription meds
    Lunch: large tossed salad w. diet Russkie dressing & 4 sesame crackers
    Dinner: can of tuna w. 2 Tbsp cranberry sauce**, 4 sesame crackers
    Dessert: 2 sesame crackers w. 1 Tbsp lowfat peanut butter
    Snacks: 3 tangerines
    Liquids: 4 bottles of water
    Late night: 2 more cardio meds washed down w. fresh grapefruit juice

** whole berry cranberry sauce is a tasty and lowfat condiment that goes well w. tuna, broiled fish, grilled chicken, etc. Honest.
    I have a question for any member.

How does one exist on this kind of meal plan? There is no way I could get up and go to work eating this little. I am 6' 259# as of this morning. I have been sitting at 265 for a while and I didnt gain over the winter and it looks like its moving in the right direction. My shirts are XLT and I am wearing 38 pants. I have a shelf to shade the buckle, but I dont have to move lard to pee. My listed reccomended weight for my height at my age is 164-188, and the high number is about 11 lb lighter than I was the day I got off of Parris Island at 18 years old.

I know I need to lose some, if I could get to 220 I would be pretty hard for a old guy, but there is no way that I could get by on the above starvation diet.

I have cut out breads almost 100% and try to avoid pasta, but when feeding 3 kids, pasta is cheap and fills the 15 y/o son for a whole 45 min. I dont drink soda (pop/coke). Beer, well I had one last week. I dont eat chips or snack food except when I am out all night on call. Kettle cooked sea salt and vinager will keep you awake. Potatoes are few and far between. Meats are lean and grilled, chicken is skinless. Fish is hard to find in this area unless it is breaded and fried, and I am not a real fan anyway, however the occasional haddock or cod is ok.

Breakfast is oatmeal with a few raisins, cinnamon and a little 2% moo juice, no sugar or sweetner.

Here is lunch,
    1/2 bag mixed carrots and celery
    turkey breast and lettuce on one piece italian bread cut in half. Normally a 1/2 multigrain low cal muffin thing, but its getting close to shopping day.
    1 peach non fat yogurt
    2 small apples
    1 bag with some peanuts and raisins in it. I eat a handful at lunch and save the rest for if I work OT or get the hungrys.
    Thats pretty standard

Dinner is what the wife makes, I go heavy on the vegtables when possible and she is getting the hang of healthier cooking.

I drink coffee and water.

Any suggestions? I need to have food, because I need the fuel to be able to perform. I have had one knee operated on and the other is complaining, running aint happining. I do walk when weather permits and last camp trip we backpacked 2 1/4 miles, camped, got up in the AM and did a 10 Mi hike, camped, got up and backpacked out. No where to swim. Kind of afraid of a bike because of the knees.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    221.2 this morning. Rode 10 miles yesterday and 14 today. Hit the gym yesterday, back tomorrow.

As far as food: when we started with the dietician 2 1/2 years or so ago, when we got our meal plans, I could not eat all the food, it was too much. Tapered down the portions after the first week. We basically changed what we ate, going to fruits and vegetables, whole grains, sweet taters instead of regular taters, no fried, lean meats, turkey and chicken breast, lean pork and beef, fish. Start the day with a bottle of water with fresh squeezed lemon juice, then breakfast, snack mid morning, lunch, snack mid afternoon, dinner, and snack before bed. Basically relearning how to eat. My weit increased a little lately due to shoulder surgery (no working out or bike riding) and being on the road a month at a time. Back home for a long while, so back to what worked.
    NRA Benefactor Member

How does one exist on this kind of meal plan? There is no way I could get up and go to work eating this little. I am 6' 259# as of this morning. I have been sitting at 265 for a while and I didnt gain over the winter and it looks like its moving in the right direction. My shirts are XLT and I am wearing 38 pants. I have a shelf to shade the buckle, but I dont have to move lard to pee. My listed reccomended weight for my height at my age is 164-188, and the high number is about 11 lb lighter than I was the day I got off of Parris Island at 18 years old.

I know I need to lose some, if I could get to 220 I would be pretty hard for a old guy, but there is no way that I could get by on the above starvation diet.

I have cut out breads almost 100% and try to avoid pasta, but when feeding 3 kids, pasta is cheap and fills the 15 y/o son for a whole 45 min. I dont drink soda (pop/coke). Beer, well I had one last week. I dont eat chips or snack food except when I am out all night on call. Kettle cooked sea salt and vinager will keep you awake. Potatoes are few and far between. Meats are lean and grilled, chicken is skinless. Fish is hard to find in this area unless it is breaded and fried, and I am not a real fan anyway, however the occasional haddock or cod is ok.

Breakfast is oatmeal with a few raisins, cinnamon and a little 2% moo juice, no sugar or sweetner.

Here is lunch,
    1/2 bag mixed carrots and celery
    turkey breast and lettuce on one piece italian bread cut in half. Normally a 1/2 multigrain low cal muffin thing, but its getting close to shopping day.
    1 peach non fat yogurt
    2 small apples
    1 bag with some peanuts and raisins in it. I eat a handful at lunch and save the rest for if I work OT or get the hungrys.
    Thats pretty standard

Dinner is what the wife makes, I go heavy on the vegtables when possible and she is getting the hang of healthier cooking.

Any suggestions? I need to have food, because I need the fuel to be able to perform. I have had one knee operated on and the other is complaining, running aint happining. I do walk when weather permits and last camp trip we backpacked 2 1/4 miles, camped, got up in the AM and did a 10 Mi hike, camped, got up and backpacked out. No where to swim. Kind of afraid of a bike because of the knees.

I am the survivor of 3 knee surgeries to remove damaged cartilage, the last one was in 1988 when I swore off ground sports. Bicycling is one of the best knee exercises you can do and is aerobic. Based on what you say, I believe your metabolism is slow. You have got to do some aerobic exercise three to four times a week to increase it. Look on Craigslist for a used stationary bike and ride it 45 minutes 4 times a week. I used bicycling as post surgical recovery therapy as recommended by my MD.

You are obviously still strong. Cut all carbs as best you can, and try to track your calories. One tablespoon of oil is 100 calories, compared to five cucumbers and you can see what is more filling.. Eat a lot of tomatoes, and avoid high sugar fruit. Do not drink juice! OJ especially is almost liquid sugar.

Figure out your base metabolism ( how many calories you need to maintain your weight ) and then cut back 700 calories a day. You will lose 1 lb every 5 days. When you see my posting I lost 5 lbs in 4 days, that is just water weight. Realistically I have lost 1 lb of real fat.

Go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Use this website to track your weight and calorie intake and you will be losing more weight in no time.

D
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    To back up what Dan said, after having both her knees completely replaced, the doc told her to get on a stationary bike for exercise. Eventually she moved to a real bike and rides now.

First meeting with our dietician, she used a tool to figure out our metabolism. Mine was around 2000, wife was one step above a dead person's, really low.

Also, backing up Wambli, it is a lifestyle change. Realize it is a slow process, diets that promise fast weight loss, or you have to eat their foods, etc do not work in the long run. Also you have to get the old body moving (exercise) one way or another.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    I lost a pound
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I lost a pound

I lose £'s every week, more so if my two boys are home at the weekend.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member
    I have a question for any member......

How much water are you drinking? Water is key to weight loss (except when there is a health reason not to, Sam). Take your current weight, divide by 2, and that is how much water you should drink in a day in ounces. At your weight, you should be drinking 130 ounces of water a day.

Let me give you some background. When I started my weight loss a little over a year ago, I was getting real close to 300#. I'm 6'4", and always been a 'big guy'. Wambli and Knite have met me back when I was big. I went on a lifestyle change- dropped carbs, went high protein, ate a lot of the healthy vegetables*. I lost a BUNCH of weight. I went down to 220#, and have bounced back up to the 230s at this point. I am dropping the pounds off again, and have the target of being back in the 220s by the middle of May.

Like Wambli, I have realized that this is a new lifestyle. Since I have done this, my doc has taken me off all the meds I was on (no more BP meds!), and I am as healthy now as I was back in high school.

BTW, you don't lose weight at the gym. You lose weight at the table. Exercise can help maintain a healthy weight, but to lose weight, you HAVE to eat different.

*A lot of what we eat as vegetables will cause weight gain. Potatoes, carrots, corn, etc... are high in starch and sugar, and are just as bad for weight loss as carbs. You need to eat green leafy vegetables. Spinach, Kale (BTW, I HATE kale), green beans (sparingly), peppers, etc... are the ones that wont slow down the loss.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Ok, I'll jump in now.

DIETS do not work. The very nature of them makes it a temporary solution.

etc etc...

Excellent writeup, dude! Of course when you say "diet" you mean specifically "weight loss diet" and not general "diet" meaning what anyone eats.

You're totally correct. Actually, "diets" DO work temporarily -- most weight loss diets will let you lose weight. Problem is, they're temporary as you correctly indicate.

I think that everyone here realizes this, but you're emphatic and this needs to be taken to heart --- correct change must be permanent and nobody can stay on a "diet" forever. What's needed, as you correctly say, is for the whole lifestyle to be changed, if needed, to alter the person's "world view" of food.

When I was nearly 300 pounds, it took me forever (several years, actually) to get into the new habit of not gorging myself like a Straussberg goose. When I did, that was when I lost 50-60 pounds.

Of course I still kept chugging away at the beer and high calorie and high fat food until my heart gave out. And finally I've gotten "food smart" but at the high cost of a ratty circulation system on the way.

Anyway, excellent postings, first class info for those who're serious about weight loss.

And btw, 42 waist was nuttin' compared to me. I'm not a tall guy -- about 5-7 or 5-8 before the bone shrinkage started, and at one time I wore 48 jeans and they fit! Eeek! Now, 34 jeans are a bit loose on me.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member

I suggest you get your thyroid checked.
    Your diet sounds great, and if you're active, you should be dropping weight.
    I started putting on weight 5 years ago, with no lifestyle changes. It took my Dr a while to figure it out, turns out my thyroid quit working.
    Low thyroid can mess you all up.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    etc etc
    Some folks see this as a sacrifice, specially at the beginning but it is a REALLY just a commitment to learning how to do something the right way.

Right! "Sacrifice?" Howzabout sacrificing your future health? I did that, stupidly. All my IQ points notwithstanding, I ate myself nearly to death -- cardiologist said that I was minutes from dying on my living room floor when I had "the big one" and it was only a miracle that I was able to knock my cellphone off the table and it didn't break or fall out of my reach, and I was able to phone 911.

Never again, pals!

It really really does matter, guys. We really want (okay I really want) you around so I can have flame wars with, a very selfish move. And you guys really want to BE at the SE Shoot and not instead have Teach say "Wish he were here..."

It does take commitment and a total lifestyle change. Wambli's right to recommend getting the house cleared out of fattening foods, if possible. Replace those beers with fresh fruit, and so on.

And don't give up! You fail for a couple days, hey, it's life. Just restart the diet and keep on truckin'

Any suggestions?

"Dinner is what the wife makes" is a clue. With respect, I don't think thyroid is an answer -- the number of people who actually have a clinical problem losing weight is miniscule. Sure, it's possible, but likely not.

You, if necessary, simply need to NOT eat what the wife is cooking for dinner.

You asked how somone survives on what I listed? Well, first of all, I'm retired. I have severe arthritis and although I do work out daily, it's more of a limbering up set of exercises and doesn't really help me lose weight. I am actually quite sessile and so my daily menu really has to be slim to none. I don't get too hungry because I have the needed energy with the food I DO eat, due to high protein (a full can of tuna, a nice bowl of Kashi, lots of vitamins and protein).

I don't eat this every day. But I DO eat a salad every day prior to dinner -- a big tossed salad w. a SMALL dollop of diet salad dressing and maybe 3-4 low cal sesame crackers. I have actually gotten into the habit of the Kashi cereal -- damn stuff tastes great!

I've got some recommendations... and you need to be studious on this and do what's best for you... re-examine your sodium intake. Sodium is the hidden gotcha for most diets, because it slips up on you ("you" being the "group you") -- and most Americans eat 10-15 times the sodium they should. Excess sodium is also hard on the kidneys, as you know.

I've tussled with other folks here, but I still am persuaded -- consult your doc if you have questions -- that too much water simply retains weight and slips the food out of your digestive tract before it's fully absorbed, lessening the intake of proteins -- remember that proteins are complex and therefore take longer to absorb than sugars, for example. Try to cut back on excess water JUST A LITTLE -- 3 cups of coffee per day instead of 6, etc. Nothing drastic, just tweak things a bit.

You're obviously doing things NEARLY right so only a little adjustment should do the trick. Also realize that being older, your metabolic processes are slower and so your body absorbs nutrients slower, and that you (like anyone) will lose a slightly higher percent of good food out the exit before it's absorbed. Which therefore makes you hungrier.

You may simply HAVE to forego "what the wife makes" and have "Dad's special meal" instead.

I think you're likely on the right track, you just gotta adjust things a bit more, is all. Let me also remind you that "bag w. peanuts and raisins" is very fattening. Honest. Not all fruit is okay. I am not allowed to eat raisins or grapes due to the excess sugar -- great for the laboring logger, not so great for a guy sitting at his laptop typing junk to sell. A bag of peanuts and raisins can really boost your blood sugar and sodium. Try instead a couple of fresh peaches or pears, or some tangerines.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    156 fully clothed as I write this.

I never meant to get an ounce over 154.

We're having corn chowder for supper tonight. I'll be down to 151 by early tomorrow morning.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    If you lose enough, send it my way...5'11" and soaking wet I can't get above 135. I've tried everything.

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!
    Day five - morning weight 226. Even though I have limited my calories and been exercising my weight went up one pound today.

Weight varies and I know that, but I wanted to post this so anyone reading this will understand it isn't a linear fall.

D
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Day five - morning weight 226. Even though I have limited my calories and been exercising my weight went up one pound today.

Weight varies and I know that, but I wanted to post this so anyone reading this will understand it isn't a linear fall.

D

Good idea and good to know. People's weight will vary 1-2 pounds even during the day, let alone day to day. It's essential to get the trend sloping in the right direction even though there are little bumps in the curve. And of course, know that your weight on a particular day reflects what you've eaten maybe 2 days before.

So keep on keepin' on!

Holding