Home Main Category Clubhouse

The diet starts today! Who wants to join me? 04/26/14

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Diets? Screw that! Just do like I did and wait until you're too obese to walk and have Gastric Bypass Surgery. Hey it worked for me and takes a lot of the will power out of the game. I went to the weightloss surgeon and told him I wanted that donut thingi installed on my stomach entrance. He said as fat as i was it probably wouldn't work well and told me to go for the gold with Gastric Bypass. I'm very very very very happy I listened to him. I lost 160 pounds total and I'm keeping it off. The beauty of it is that if I try to eat even a little too much, I'm in PAIN! No way in hell I like that because it makes me so damn miserable all I can do is go lay down in bed and hope I fall asleep for a couple hours. Otherwise I will suffer horribly for that length of time. This is what I needed and it works for me, thank you.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 863 Senior Member
    In a rut weight wise, but had a blood test yesterday, results came back today: Cholesterol total was 131, HDL 44, LDL 68 (have to keep it below 70 since my heart attack two years ago), triglycerides 93. My total used to be above 300, triglycerides up there too.......................
    At 58 years, I cannot complain
    Grumpy old gearhead
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I have triglyceride envy! One of the reasons for diet and exercise... Morning weight 220. No exercise scheduled for today, as swimming 1.5 miles yesterday has kicked my butt. My progressive increase in swimming distance and times has made each day after a real pain, and I am looking forward to the day when my exercise is invigorating and not debilitating. My goal is 3000 meters in one hour, like most of the Masters swimmers.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Back to pre-shoot weight.
    222 lbs again this morning. I hate a plateau. It just means when it drops it will drop a bunch.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Dang! 223 lbs this morning, and it feels like I am not budging off this weight. Up at 5 AM, in the pool by 5:34 AM. Swam 3050 yards ( about 1.75 miles ). Home for a moderate breakfast AND nap.

Don't give up you guys... his is when you have make the effort to make it count.

D
    I gained a pound and a half eating cake.
    Success! Morning weight 218.75 lbs, finally broke the 220 lb barrier. I swam for 70 minutes yesterday and achieved 2500 yards. I went to the MD afterwards for my routine check up and everything was good.

D
    Been eating yellow squash like it is going out of style, I'm wasting away.
    219 lbs this morning, and 3000 yards in the pool before 7 AM.

D
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Well, its been 2 months and I'm down nearly 30 pounds. Clothes are starting to fit looser and I've had to start wearing a belt for the first time in years. If I can keep this pace up I should be able to hit my short term goal of 40 pounds by the end of August. Keep at it guys.
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Well, its been 2 months and I'm down nearly 30 pounds. Clothes are starting to fit looser and I've had to start wearing a belt for the first time in years. If I can keep this pace up I should be able to hit my short term goal of 40 pounds by the end of August. Keep at it guys.
    Good work
    This morning 218.5 lbs, got up at 5 AM and swam 3500 yards ( that's just over 2 miles... ) and proud of it. Still working on it! On a separate note I am down about 12 lbs in 10 weeks, but I have not taken a Tylenol, or Motrin for back pain at night in 4 days.

D
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Guess it's my turn,
    I have been on a diet now for six weeks and as of last Monday I had lost 24 pounds. I have cut out 95% of processed food, no fast food 'cept salad at subway, and only drink black coffee and water.
    I was to busy to get to the med center to weigh in today so I'll try and make it tomorrow.
    Something that is helping me is Fit-bit https://www.fitbit.com/store
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,902 Senior Member
    I had lost 17 lbs and got below 220. Went on my honeymoon for a week and gained 7 lbs. I went back on my diet today so I will begin to get going the right way but why is it so easy to gain and so hard to lose. This is the first tome I have tried an actual diet instead of just eating less and at least I am not hungry all the time and my blood sugar levels are really good so I don't mind this diet so much and I hope to be able to stay on it forever. It's not easy but what is?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,140 Senior Member
    For those getting started on a diet I found www.myfitnesspal.com a big help in counting calories and making sure that I not only did not eat too much, but did eat enough calories to make it a healthy weight loss.

I have been at a steady 195 for a while now and have 20 more pounds to lose. Down from a high of 248 lbs.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Just got back from the med center and am now down 32 pounds,
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Congratulations Gator, that is a huge loss of excess weight. I bet you feel better and cloths fit better or you need new ones.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Oh, I have a lot farther to go but it's a pretty good start.

Thanks for the congrats, I need all the encouragement I can get.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    gator wrote: »
    Just got back from the med center and am now down 32 pounds,

Great job Gator. That's like dropping four 1 gallon water jugs. You have got to feel that!

D
    Thanks Dan,
    It's a lot harder to lose than it was to put on
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    gator wrote: »
    Thanks Dan,
    It's a lot harder to lose than it was to put on

You ain't kidding!!! It took me over a year to take off 52 lbs and only a 10 day road trip to gain back 6 lbs.

I have to fight for every pound that I lose, but have a Weizen Beer and loaded baked potato with my steak and I put 3 back on.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    You ain't kidding!!! It took me over a year to take off 52 lbs and only a 10 day road trip to gain back 6 lbs.

I have to fight for every pound that I lose, but have a Weizen Beer and loaded baked potato with my steak and I put 3 back on.

I bet you have a salt sensitivity. My weight is up 2 lbs next day after eating sushi, and I am guessing because of the salt in the soy sauce. Two days later it is gone.

D
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I'm stuck, but.....I've eaten like a damn pig this week. But holding steady is better than gaining.

Me the same, I guess. At the beginning of this thread I lost a few pounds but got stuck TDC on about 154. Weighed this morning, July 2, and I'm 157.

So I've maintained a steady range of 153-159 for months now and my appetite is steady (never feel extra hungry or extra full), I don't binge on food, I drink an occasional beer or two (never exceed 2!) and enjoy tacos and other junk now and then. Sleep easily, flat on my back w. no snoring any more (I used to snore to wake the dead when I weighed 200+), have no energy problems or other symptoms of problems related to excess weight.

Doc last month said my health was excellent, zero chest congestion (vewwy wewwy important for a cardiac survivor), blood chemistry normal, BP 155/60 or thereabouts.

So I'm hanging up the "diet spurs" and accepting the 157 region as good to go.

Y'all who are still working at the weight loss, keep the faith! It can be done.
    I'm holding at 196-200; not really dieting except no junk food snacks and no booze or pop except for one pop every so often.
    Went to the Doctor yesterday. ...total loss so far 39lbs
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    This week I swam 10,100 meters ( a little over 6.25 miles ) in three sessions but I have been eating anything I want. I am now swimming over 2 miles per session, in 85 minutes or so. It's not a real accomplishment, except for me. One of our 16 year old female swimmers swam 1500 meters in 17 minutes and 14 seconds today at a sectional meet! Weight steady at 220 and I need to drop another 10.

D
    Good work people
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Its been 6 months now and I'm stuck. Been hovering just under 50 pounds for the last month. Hoping the upcoming cooler weather and hunting season will be the motivation I need to get out and exercise more.

p.s. Carbs are the devils work!
    I am back up to 225, but swimming a 1.5 miles to 1.75 miles every other day...

D