Home Main Category Clubhouse

The diet starts today! Who wants to join me? 04/26/14

12346»

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Getting good exercise is a top factor in maintaining proper health, to be sure.

This is where I have problems, because of my arthritic condition. I can use my bowflex but only upper body (which helps nonetheless). But for weight control, I have to resort to diet alone.

Keep working on the weight loss, guys. It makes a big difference.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    A little over 9 months now and a bit over 70 pounds lighter. The weather is starting to improve and I'm starting to get back in the routine of biking everyday. Going to try and hit it hard and make some progress before the weather gets too hot.
    Agreed, cpj. Exercise helps but you simply cannot exercise enough to lose significant amounts of weight.

I'm maintaining right on target, all thru the holidays as well, weight 158-164 approx, up and down, but I seem to have finally won the eating battle and I'm holding steady without any real hard effort now. Whew.

Good on the loss, cp!
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Nonsense. When I was walking three miles a day I dropped 30 pounds in about seven months. No diet change.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    I'm eating more and having a hard time maintaining my weight.
    cpj wrote: »
    Point is, your 3 miles a day is eclipsed by a single Mcdonalds double cheeseburger.
    It's about calorie deficit.(duh, we all learned this in school) yes you should exercise, and yes you'll lose weight doing so, but you ain't out exercising an egg McMuffin and hash browns for breakfast, a A super sized Royale wit Cheeze meal, for lunch, and fried chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner.

D'accord, mon frere Pierre. But my diet then wasn't that good; the law enforcement agency where I worked had their own Dunkin Donuts, and their salad bar was about the only healthy option in the cafeteria. The local neighborhood didn't offer much better, save for an overpriced sushi place.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Nonsense. When I was walking three miles a day I dropped 30 pounds in about seven months. No diet change.

Good. But 3 miles a day is not your typical exercise that most folks go thru. It's a lot more work for the body and of course you lose weight accordingly. I was talking about the typical 3 times a week, 30 min per session sort of exercise.
    NN wrote: »
    I'm eating more and having a hard time maintaining my weight.

Keep at it, pal. You don't want the ER doc to tell you "We're going to do a cardiac bypass on you in the morning."
    samzhere wrote: »
    Exercise helps but you simply cannot exercise enough to lose significant amounts of weight.

I must have misunderstood...

NRA Endowment Member
    Keep at it, pal. You don't want the ER doc to tell you "We're going to do a cardiac bypass on you in the morning."
    I thought after I posted I might be misunderstood, I have been loosing and eating enough for 2 cpj's; however, I saw my Quack today and he was not concerned.

He said I could lose 20 more before he would worry, but, on that figure I think he is wrong. [6'2"--------197 lbs]

Last time I got to 190 I felt weak, but, I was 38 then and needed the fitness to keep up with teenage Marines.
    10 months and about 85 pounds lost.

This dang cold and wet weather has really put a hamper on my meager exercise routine.
    During my delightful hospital stay, in which I was totally without food for 2 weeks (they "fed me through a tube" as mom warned), I naturally lost weight, including the extra stuff the surgeon cut out (ick).

I'm now 153 a week home from the hospital, my ideal weight, so I'm gonna stick with that long as I can. If I keep my weight below 160, my body and my doc will be happy.
    I'm going to drag up this old thread once more. Today marks one year since I started a much healthier life style and eating habits. I am 95 pounds lighter and am much happier. I'm not were I want to be just yet but with any luck and some more hard work hopefully I'll get there.

I want to give thanks to BigDan for starting this thread and to all of those that participated. It really helped.

I just placed an order for a new Simply Rugged Pancake holster for my Ruger Blackhawk .45 to celebrate.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Well thanks for dragging it back up.

I took a three month hiatus because I was sick and my weight crept back up to 228 lbs.

I started swimming again last Monday and my weight dropped to 224. I am on a four week diet to get my weight under 215 before my 55th B day on May 20th.

Game on !

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    During my delightful hospital stay, in which I was totally without food for 2 weeks (they "fed me through a tube" as mom warned), I naturally lost weight, including the extra stuff the surgeon cut out (ick).

I'm now 153 a week home from the hospital, my ideal weight, so I'm gonna stick with that long as I can. If I keep my weight below 160, my body and my doc will be happy.

Naturally, things have changed since my post-surgical post in that I've now "come out" but not like ol' Bruce Jenner (or is it Brucella now?) and admitting that I've got the big C.

Due to either the "big problem" or my chemo drugs or maybe both, my appetite sucks and I now have to consciously force myself to eat, lotsa protein and stuff like that, to stay above 150. Thanks to my girlfriend's great cooking I'm holding at 153 the last few weeks but I really have to "stuff" myself -- not really eating a lot but it feels that way, and if I do eat a "regular" meal it's like a big iron ball in my stomach.

But hey guys, keep up the faith and the diets and don't give up the ship, dudes.
    I'm having to eat the whole thing to hold my weight, also.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Screw the diet, they don't work for me. I can lose a ton of weight and when I'm through I'll gain 2 tons back. I had the gastric bypass done 5 years ago and it added may 20-30 years to my life the way I see it.

Bypassing your stomach as other benefits than just weight loss. It causes your blood sugar to run lower even if you're a type 2 diabetic, like me, and keeps your blood pressure in a good range too, all this without medication. Also, I go to the Y every other day. That makes for 4 days one week and 3 days the next alternately.

My weight loss surgeon told me if you do aerobic exercise for 30 minutes a day, 3-4 days a week, you will lose weight. So far that's worked for me. But he told me don't go walk or do whatever aerobic exercise you do for 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening. Do 30 or 40 minutes in a row all at once and you burn fat, because the first 20 minutes all you're doing is burning sugars. I do 40 minutes on the exercise bike at a fairly high resistance and at a minimum of 40 RPM, between 40 and 50 actually(that's a lot faster than it sounds).

Then I do 100 ab crunches. They are like set ups or at least do about the same thing, make your stomach smaller and stronger.I start of doing 40 at 100 pounds resistance, then 40 at 95 pounds resistance, and then 20 at 90 pounds resistance. At least that's where I am right now.

Then I do some different upper body weights. I do what they call the butterfly, sitting and pulling from your side toward the middle.

I do weights backwards from most people. instead of starting out light and working up, I go from my heaviest weight progressing downward to my lightest, 10 reps at a time. These are called step sets. You start off at your heaviest weight and work down, because as you progress you burn the sugar or glycogen off your muscles and you have less energy. If you start off heavy and reduce your weights you will be able to complete more reps. I start of on the butterfly at 130 pounds then drop it to 110, and then 90. Some days I will do 150 for about 2-3 reps(that's where I am right now) which allows me to build up and work my way up to a heavier weight as time goes by, slowly. On opposite days I switch off between the butterfly machine and the bench press machine. I don't do it all on the same day. I'll start off at 150 pounds on the bench press machine working my way down in weight. But every once a week, like today, I will increase the weight to 170 and do 1 to 3 reps for now. Maybe next week if I feel like it I'll do 3 to 5 reps at 170 until I can do a full ten reps at once. This may take a month. Then I will step up the whole bracket and 170 will be my new normal starting weight. When I feel comfortable doing that, I'll begin doing one or two at 190 and work slowly to increase my reps at that weight, while doing ten reps at 170 dropping down to 10 at 150 and 10 at 130.

I will only do a couple or three at a new higher weight once a week, but at the already established weights I work routinely I will do 10 reps at each weight working down. That's the routine I use on all the weight machines and when I feel comfortable at that level I work up increasing 20 more pounds max.

Like I said, that may take a month or two, but when I progress, I'll be ready and won't injure myself. There's a couple more machines I work. But I don't get too crazy and try to do them all. I pretty well stick to my routine. I figure I work most all my muscles doing this and I don't get so tired that I end up skipping a day.

The key is to work up very slowly. You won't build your body in a day or a week or a month. It's a process. I find that if you progress moderately there's a lot less chance you'll give up and quit. It needs to remain fun. And that's what I do for real solid weight loss and at the same time, building my old body without killing it.

I gained about 25 pounds over the fall and early winter, because I quit going to the Y while I was hunting. I kept telling myself I didn't need the Y because I was active out walking 3 or 4 days a week. But I was fooling myself. I didn't cut back so much as I've changed what I was eating and gone back to eating more proteins and vegetables and less crap. That, along with the exercise makes for more painless weight loss, IF you don't consider exercise pain.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack, but this is the way I do it, because like I said, diets just don't do it for some of us, and I'm one of those.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Walk in to where your hunting and you don't need the Y
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Naturally, things have changed since my post-surgical post in that I've now "come out" but not like ol' Bruce Jenner (or is it Brucella now?) and admitting that I've got the big C.

Due to either the "big problem" or my chemo drugs or maybe both, my appetite sucks and I now have to consciously force myself to eat, lotsa protein and stuff like that, to stay above 150. Thanks to my girlfriend's great cooking I'm holding at 153 the last few weeks but I really have to "stuff" myself -- not really eating a lot but it feels that way, and if I do eat a "regular" meal it's like a big iron ball in my stomach.

But hey guys, keep up the faith and the diets and don't give up the ship, dudes.

Hey Sam, I went to school with Brucene Smith, 1972 Miss World USA, but She looked a whole lot better than Bruce.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Hey Sam, I went to school with Brucene Smith, 1972 Miss World USA, but She looked a whole lot better than Bruce.

Hey, one of my dark secrets is that my very first ah, "encounter" with the fair sex was with a gal who was the daughter of a friend of my Dad. We'd taken a long family vacation to California, the usual tourist stuff, Disneyland and all, then to San Diego to stay a few days w. my Dad's buddy. The guy was a fairly well to do engineer w. his own company, lived in this lavish beach home in La Jolla (one of the richer areas of Dan Diego). We went swimming in the ocean (my first time) and late that night, the daughter for some unknown reason latched onto me and took me for a midnight swim in the surf (my first time) and then back to a sheltered area on the beach for my first time. She ended up in Playboy as a Playmate a few years later but nobody believed me.

My other notable encounter was with a Star Wars cast member whose name I cannot disclose. She was the teenage daughter of a high-ranking member of the Skywalker/Lucasfilm production company and just for fun, played an alien character in a big completely covering costume. A few years later, when I was living in San Francisco, I met this intense, dark-haired hippie chick at a party and we had a brief fling. Turned out she was the "fuzzy" in the Star Wars costume.

And oh yeah, speaking of Bruce Jenner, I also have the, er, "distinction" of being hit on by the famous beat poet Alan Ginsberg. I politely declined.

When you've lived as long as I have, things happen, y'know.