Besides Firearms, What Else...

horselipshorselips Senior MemberPosts: 3,628 Senior Member
...do you collect? I like inexpensive watches and fountain pens. I do have a few rather nice watches and pens, but I really enjoy the less expensive ones more because I can use them all I want without consideration for their value. Unfortunately, being a senior citizen, I have also inadvertently collected quite an assortment of prescription meds. Oh well.

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    No prescription meds of any kind for me, all I seem to have collected are a loving family and regrets. :uhm:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,450 Senior Member
    Pocket knives and straight razors
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Aches and pains!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I don't actually collect firearms, as would a "collector" for value and investment. I have them as working items and defense tools. The only exception would be my Mossberg model 152 .22lr carbine which was my birthday present when I was, oh, 9 or 10 I think.

I do collect books and underground comics (plus some classic comics, too). I've got a first edition of James Joyce's "Ulysses" which is easily the most valuable thing I own. I also have a signed first edition of Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian".

As for comics, my P&J (pride and joy) is a Marvel "Amazing Fantasy 15" which is the introduction of Spider-Man. I also have all the original Marvel "Silver Age" of Fantastic Four w. Galactus and other series, such as the introduction of Silver Surfer.

For underground comix, I've got all the original Zap Comix from #0 to #20, an original series of autographed S. Clay Wilson drawings (Pirates and Bikers and Demons -- you hadda be there), and a bunch of original comix by Gilbert Shelton (Wonder Wart-Hog, Fabulous Furry Freak Bros, etc) and others.

Worth a bit of dough, i suppose, particularly the 1st edition "Ulysses" and the Amazing Fantasy 15.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 21,263 Senior Member
    Scars.

:tooth:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,118 Senior Member
    Single cylinder engines. I wouldn't call them a "collection" but today I was pulling a few of them out of winter storage and I counted 2 chainsaws, 2 mowers, 2 generators, 2 ATVs, a weed eater, garden tiller, wood splitter, pressure washer, and a boat engine. They all function as intended.

And I wonder where my free time goes.

ETA: I forgot the snowblower!
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,812 Senior Member
    "I collect spores, molds, and funguses."
    I could "collect" all kinds of stuff if I allowed myself to, I have a number of antique sewing machines for instance - and could go nuts collecting chess sets.

As it is, aside from firearms, I tend to collect dance veils - but they're more 'tools of the trade' than a collection per se.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    samzhere wrote: »
    I do collect books and underground comics (plus some classic comics, too). I've got a first edition of James Joyce's "Ulysses" which is easily the most valuable thing I own. I also have a signed first edition of Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian".

As for comics, my P&J (pride and joy) is a Marvel "Amazing Fantasy 15" which is the introduction of Spider-Man. I also have all the original Marvel "Silver Age" of Fantastic Four w. Galactus and other series, such as the introduction of Silver Surfer.

For underground comix, I've got all the original Zap Comix from #0 to #20, an original series of autographed S. Clay Wilson drawings (Pirates and Bikers and Demons -- you hadda be there), and a bunch of original comix by Gilbert Shelton (Wonder Wart-Hog, Fabulous Furry Freak Bros, etc) and others.

Worth a bit of dough, i suppose, particularly the 1st edition "Ulysses" and the Amazing Fantasy 15.

Nice collection! I'm not a comic collector, but I inherited a couple hundred from an uncle years ago. There is a Sub-Mariner #1 and a half dozen semi-early Batman and Superman comics. Included was a complete set (#1-59) of Kamandi Last Boy on Earth. Jack Kirby did the writing and pencilling. They are not worth much, so I thumb through them on occasion.

Ayn Rand
  • RivernymphRivernymph Member Posts: 80 Member
    My favorite thing to collect is egg cups. In fact, my dear husband just bought me a curio cabinet, so I now proudly display them in our living room. I also have quite an extensive collection of raccoon and opossum baculi. They, however, are not displayed in my living room.
    I ain't afraid to love a man. I ain't afraid to shoot him, either. --Annie Oakley
    Rivernymph wrote: »
    I also have quite an extensive collection of raccoon and opossum baculi.

My kid collects them. He has bear, coyote, ****, skunk, and a couple mink he made into earrings for his mother. I don't recall her ever wearing them!

Ayn Rand
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    "antique" archery gear.
    From B.C. (before compounds)
    when was the last time you saw one of these bad boys?

'68 Bear Tartar
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
    Rivernymph wrote: »
    I also have quite an extensive collection of raccoon and opossum baculi. They, however, are not displayed in my living room.

You are one of them.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,812 Senior Member
    Earrings? Did someone say "earrings"?

I have about 130 pairs...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »

You are one of them.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,028 Senior Member
    I tend to bring home old tools. Old John Deere wrenches, brace and bits, wood planes, saws and really any of the old woodworking tools that was used to make barns. It's amazing what an old wooden block and tackle can be used for.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    NASA/JPL mission patches, high end bourbons, books and build/display IJN model ships.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,375 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »

I'm relatively sure you don't have a pair of "those" however...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I've accumulated a number of knives over the last 30 years or so. Pocket knives, combat folders, custom blades, even a couple of Bowie style knives.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    I've accumulated a number of knives over the last 30 years or so. Pocket knives, combat folders, custom blades, even a couple of Bowie style knives.

Now that you mention it, I do have quite a few knives. But, I've never thought of them as a "collection". More like tools in a toolbox.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I'm relatively sure you don't have a pair of "those" however...

Thanks for that. Now I have clean the monitor!

Ayn Rand
    I collect antique cameras. Have quite a few, actually. All the way back to late 1800-early 1900.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,685 Senior Member
    Dust.........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 9,083 Senior Member
    I collect Fine Writing Instruments, or as most would call them Pens. Mostly Fountain Pens, but a few of everything from Monte Grappa, of course Mont Blanc, an d a few from Pelikan, Lamy along with a few Parkers and Sheaffers and a few lesser known makers.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    "antique" archery gear.
    From B.C. (before compounds)

I had a pretty good collection of Bear recurves/quivers/arrows. Sold most of it to make house payments when i was laid off........

I still have some old arrow boxes to go in my (next) shop......

ry%3D400ry%3D400ry%3D400ry%3D400
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I had a pretty good collection of Bear recurves/quivers/arrows. Sold most of it to make house payments when i was laid off........

ry%3D400ry%3D400ry%3D400ry%3D400

That's too cool.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

OK..
    let's dance..

'64 Shakespeare Golden Eagle Proline

pictures do NOT do this bow justice.. it is just flat GORGEOUS!

This model was the first bow to shoot a perfect score at Vegas.

I have three Bear Minutemen, two Kodiak Cubs (dual shelfs), a '57 Grizzly, a basketweave Kodiak, '67 Kodiak Mag.. '69 Super Kodiak, a Wilson Brothers Black Widow.. more shtuff than I can think of right now..
    Last time I counted, I have like thirty bows, ten or so more Oneida compounds..
    You are one of them.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,299 Senior Member
    Mostly comics, no huge value but some stuff is worth some bucks, but I am considering getting rid of them for the space. I have accumulated a pile of knives, nothing super rare or valuable.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 285 Member
    Thanks to my Epilepsy I have collected uncountable scars, broken teeth, ruined knees, and I could go on and on and on but you get the point. I just had my fourth tooth fixed yesterday as a matter of fact. They know my by name now. I call the dentist up and one of the first things they ask, "uh oh, fall again?" My wife finally told me after my 2nd or 3rd tooth and all my battle scars, "Even after giving birth, I have to say, you must be the toughest S.O.B. I've ever seen." I asked her if I should go out for Marine Force Recon. I thought about not having my teeth fixed after the first two, just giving up and fitting in with the rest of the Arkansas culture.
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
    60 Grizzly (only one I kept)
    67 1/2 Super Kodiak (sold)
    65 Kodiak (sold)
    65 Kodiak Magnum (sold)
    68 Browning Cobra (sold)

ry%3D480
    ry%3D480

And I shot them all. Using Grizzly on a 3D course..........
    ry%3D480
    aw man...I'm sorry you had to part with that Super K..
    You are one of them.