Be weather aware

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 19,018 Senior Member
Got a large band of severe storms moving across the country today through Wed, so keep an eye out if they're coming through your area.
They're supposed to start here early in the morning, then again tomorrow afternoon.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member
    Glad you're safe so far :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,319 Senior Member
    Letting kids out of school around noon tomorrow. Means nothing will happen.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    They get nervous around Huntsville since the big one and I don't blame them. Guy at work lives in Harvest and got hit twice, the bad one and a year later another one with less damage. He said he got the wife into the safe room went to get the dog and she locked the door, was too scared to move and he was hanging on to the doorknob as his roof was being blown off :yikes:

Be safe all.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,842 Senior Member
    It was snowing when I woke up this morning. I was grumbling about it until I read this thread.

You guys stay safe.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    They get nervous around Huntsville since the big one and I don't blame them. Guy at work lives in Harvest and got hit twice, the bad one and a year later another one with less damage. He said he got the wife into the safe room went to get the dog and she locked the door, was too scared to move and he was hanging on to the doorknob as his roof was being blown off :yikes:

Be safe all.

Hurricane Andrew was 22 years ago and we still get nervous...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I remember hurricane Donna (1960) very well when I lived in Fort Myers. I was 7 years old. Old man boarded up the windows and we had storm lamps. We went out during the "Eye" fer a look and back in before the rest hit. Pine needles stuck in telephone poles like darts.

I remember many others too over the years.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,750 Senior Member
    You All stay safe out there. I'm sure everyone agrees that it will be nice to hear about the waste of time preparing for a storm that never comes or kids out of school for no reason than to learn one of ours lost their home or got hurt because of a storm.

I have been through a few hurricanes with Wilma being the worst, I cant even imagine a Tornado!!!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,578 Senior Member
    I have been thru every hurricane to hit south Fla. since 1940 ( exceptions 1958 - 1961 in USAF ) until 1980 when I moved to Houston Tx. The worst was 1947 we lived in Little River (Miami) we had 2' - 3' of water in the house and 1950 on Miami Beach when sand covered most of Collins Ave. and the Normandy Waterway over flowed its banks.

Thankfully I've never been thru a tornado.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti wrote: »
    I have been thru every hurricane to hit south Fla. since 1940 ( exceptions 1958 - 1961 in USAF ) until 1980 when I moved to Houston Tx. The worst was 1947 we lived in Little River (Miami) we had 2' - 3' of water in the house and 1950 on Miami Beach when sand covered most of Collins Ave. and the Normandy Waterway over flowed its banks.

Thankfully I've never been thru a tornado.

JAY

They ain't no fun. Although I've been close but never in one that ripped off a roof I was under. Had my 69 Bucik Skylark shake like it was flipping over in Lawton/Fort Sill OK while at a traffic light with tornado sirens going off, never saw it. Other times had some hairy moments there , in Kansas and Texas.

I think I'd rather sit out a hurricane, at least you know it's coming for days anymore.

All, please be safe as you can!
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I had an F1 twister touch down about 1/4 mile from me on the other side of a hill. Felt like me and my Jeep were inside a washing machine!

Not something I want to do again.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Anyone heard from Razor? They had a bad one in Arkansas.

Razor answer my PMs about primers and powder if you see this.

cpj wrote: »
    He's ok, he said it missed him last night.

Good. I just got back from lunch and there are gas lines in anticipation of bad stroms coming. It used to be just bread and milk but since 2011, people realize, no power, no gas.

• MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    It's about to roll in here. We've got steady 20 mph winds, I bet the gusts are 40-50 mph. Schools are closing early, 1:30 or 2pm (central) for most of them. They're predicting strong winds (duh), with chances of hail, tornadoes, the whole 9 yards.
    BigChief and you guys in the area hang on, they say storms heading your way

Its gotta be bad to close Redstone
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Keep yor head down Mississppiboy.

Bad to close Redstone? Them pansies close that place more than the schools close, especially in winter. The place I work has closed twice in 18 years, both for no power and we are right outside Redstones gates.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    We had two tornadoes up the coast a piece and damage and one little kid killed. :angel2:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,836 Senior Member
    Tupelo, MS has been hit pretty bad. Had one go north of me. Evidently it did not touchdown.i couldn't see all of it due to trees. Really looked bad
    Well, they are saying there is a large tornado west of me. Their track puts it going a few miles north of me in about 30 min. Debris signature on radar at 10,000 ft? Geez. Even Larrys closed at 3:30.

Not looking good fer Athens ALA right now. This one should pass (the tornado) north of Huntsville and toward Harvest if it doesn't break up. Homes destroyed in the area they are reporting.

Elk Mont and Ardmore have debris everywhere. Storm is heading toward Teach's neck of the woods

My :angel2: to all in the path of these storms.
    Different station has it coming right at me. Time to button things up I guess.

I'm near Meridanville Chief

BAMAAK wrote: »
    Different station has it coming right at me. Time to button things up I guess.

I'm near Meridanville Chief

Oh man, you are right up the Parkway straight across from Harvest. Seek shelter.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Just south of us, it appears. Daughter Debby is on top of a big hill just northeast of Ardmore. I believe they're headed for the basement shelter right now.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Jerry, local weatherman just said >2.5" hail in Elkton TN.
    I know that's mighty close to you. Keep your head down & your powder dry

Well we lucked out so far. Sat on the porch and watched one a couple miles north of us. Not sure if it touched down but you could make out the tail and rotation. All clear for now, supposed to fire up again tomorrow.

Hey Teach. Give a holler when you can.
    Have warnings on 2 different storms in my county currently (One north and one south of me), and a couple of more "warned storms" a couple of counties to the SW of me, heading this way.

Looks like it's going to be a LOOOOOOOOONG night

Stay safe Paul
    Thanks, Ron, keep my eyes peeled

Well, one of the "warned" ones to the south is forecast to come through this area in ~20 minutes.

If I loose power, I'll try and email someone via my phone

Stay safe Paul and keep my 10mm dry. We have 6 dead up here so far. I saw a picture of flooding in Ardmore, where teaches daughter is, main road was impassable.