Be weather aware

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member
    DRY..... hell, it's on my hip

Now they're saying it's going to pass just south of their camera @ woods-n-water, and I live JUST north of it.... So HOPEFULLY it's going to be a near miss
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Everything missed us, but there was some pretty major damage in areas around us. Three of my cousins were all in the path of one tornado, but it missed them all.
    Paul, stay safe.
    It did pass to the south of me, but was close enough to knock my internet out, which also kills my phone.

So won't be posting much via my 4g/tablet/cell phone, but am okay.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    What made it worse was individual "Super Cells" not just a line connected and they picked up energy and made multiple tornadoes.

I hope everyone and their families are safe. Looks like some more coming our way this afternoon.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 670 Senior Member
    Though there were two deaths in Lincoln County, they were well east of us. Prayers for all those effected by these storms as we await round two.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,188 Senior Member
    Knitepoet called a few minutes ago. He lost his internet as the storm last night went south of him. He's O.K., just knocked off the interwebs.

Weather at my end of TN was nasty, but no tornadoes reported as far as I know. Lots of wind damage. I spent most of the morning picking up small dead limbs in the yard.

Weather service is saying that round 2 will be here the same time as yesterday.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,319 Senior Member
    3 years almost to the day since the 2011 outbreak. Luckily not near as bad so far, unless you're one of the victums. Keep your heads down everyone.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    I hope everyone here in the path of these storms comes out ok. The pictures and video are scary, and they're saying 30 people have been confirmed killed.

Prayers for your safety :angel2:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    For some reason, the Tennessee/Alabama state line area gets more of its share of violent weather. In the 30-something years we've had our farm, there have been numerous deadly storms through the same corridor- - - -north central Mississippi to the Tennessee river loop near Huntsville Alabama and points east. Last year (or was it 2012?) it was Tuscaloosa on the bullseye. I got caught in one in Memphis a few years ago and hid under an interstate overpass as the storm leveled buildings and flipped cars and trucks all around me. Scary stuff!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,319 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    For some reason, the Tennessee/Alabama state line area gets more of its share of violent weather. In the 30-something years we've had our farm, there have been numerous deadly storms through the same corridor- - - -north central Mississippi to the Tennessee river loop near Huntsville Alabama and points east. Last year (or was it 2012?) it was Tuscaloosa on the bullseye. I got caught in one in Memphis a few years ago and hid under an interstate overpass as the storm leveled buildings and flipped cars and trucks all around me. Scary stuff!
    Jerry

It was 2011. Tuscaloosa got it again, A UA swimmer died trying to hold up a basement wall while his girlfriend escaped. Heroic young man.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/alabama_swimmer_confirmed_as_m.html#incart_2box

The one that came through here was rated an EF3. Athens got hit pretty bad. Pics here http://www.al.com/huntsville/#/0

A guy here at work that lives in Elora, Tn had a bunch of trees on his house, major damage. He said water was pouring out of his circuit breaker panel.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    I also remember a series of twisters that went through the Huntsville area about 1985 or 86, I believe. A school collapsed with students inside, and there were several fatalities associated with those storms. We used to ride out deadly typhoons in the Pacific, in Okinawa and the Philippines, but there were days of warnings to prepare for them. Tornadoes, especially after dark, hit with virtually no warning.
    Jerry
    Glad all the members have checked in OK. Man the last place I'd wanna be is in a Trailer or any vehicle.

Trailers are tornado magnets, really the few we have in FLA always seem to find a trailer park. Don't know it it's the metal or what or just being the kind of structure they are.

They seem to have their share in the Tenn Valley hitting some places that haven't been touched in over a 100 years, like up on Sand Mtn where my niece lives. My parents and grandparents would tell you none ever came up that part of the mountain, maybe hit Woodville on Hwy 72 or Scottsboro, but never up the mountain.

Maybe there was , but much better ways of detecting them now, but their homestead is within a few hundred yards of where my grandad and his brothers and their father before them lived.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Thanks for posting for me Mike. Yep, back online for now. Awaiting "round two" later this afternoon.

The twisted that came through here last night was ~1mile south of me. Too dammed close for comfort :nono:

Have to wait to see what's in store for tonight

It's up to 83° and 65% humidity here now. Clouds are coming out of the SSW at a pretty good clip. Looks like it's gearing up for round 2 here. Got some really high thunderheads building, too.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Luckily for me, rain/thunderstorms closer to the coast cut off the supply of moisture, just rain with a little thunder/lightning every once in a while.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    Funnel clouds inland of here and rain of 3-4 inches an hour.

No reports of damage, roads flooded.

Weather right in this spot has been good.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,708 Senior Member
    Boy did we get clobbered this morning! I've lived in this house for over 20 years and have never seen this much rain come down in a short amount of time. I've been here through several big hurricanes and have never seen my yard completely flood. On the news they said some areas in Pensacola got as much as 24" of rain in 30 hours! For comparison, we got just over 8" of rain from hurricane Ivan and we average just under 5" for the entire month of April. We got well over twice that here last night.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Gotta be all those cow farts affecting the weather, right? Tornadoes and divorces in the southeast- - - - -somebody's gonna lose a trailer!
    Jerry
    Local news said some parts of the panhandle got closer to 29"

Anyone heard from BigAl, or has he washed out into the gulf?

Pensacola is about 40 miles west of me and they got twice as much rain as we did. Al lives about 50 or so miles east of me so it stands to reason that he got a little less rain, although he does live on a lake that might be a bit closer to his house than it used to be.
    BigAl posted earlier on another thread. Man that's a whole lotta rain!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,195 Senior Member
    Glad to hear Fishead and BigAl are doing well. I was in Holt from Monday until today, supposed to be sampling but we got rained out. Between waiting on the road clearing and the rain to stop we just got home an hour ago, after being ready to leave at 8 AM CST. But it was just an inconvenience for us.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Dang Earl, Debbie's ranch is in Holt and I'm up there as much as I'm in Fort Walton. I wish I knew that you were up there and we could have met up for dinner. You probably ate at Holt pizza and their food is nasty. Where did you stay in Holt?
    cpj wrote: »
    Yeah Bream, you shoulda got a Holt of Steve and met for dinner.

You never pass up an opportunity, do ya?:jester:
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Dang Earl, Debbie's ranch is in Holt and I'm up there as much as I'm in Fort Walton. I wish I knew that you were up there and we could have met up for dinner. You probably ate at Holt pizza and their food is nasty. Where did you stay in Holt?
    Steve, we were staying at the Blackwater fish hatchery. We were supposed to be up there for some alligator gar sampling, but we got washed out. With our leaving early and getting back kinda late, getting together woulda been kinda tough. That and the fact that we just had the one work truck for the three of us (I was up with my boss and co-worker.)

We had a grill we borrowed from a guy who lives on grounds, so I had pork chops on Monday and Tuesday night with some grilled vegetables and such.

BTW, they have some, uh, colorful people up there. I went into the local grocery store at quitting time. Still ain't over that...
    Overkill is underrated.

BTW, they have some, uh, colorful people up there. I went into the local grocery store at quitting time. Still ain't over that...

I'm guessing that you've been to the store at the corner of hwy 4 and Munson hwy, just down the road from the Blackwater offices. That place is kinda "unique". While you were up in that area, did you see anyone that wasn't wearing at least one article of cammo?
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I'm guessing that you've been to the store at the corner of hwy 4 and Munson hwy, just down the road from the Blackwater offices. That place is kinda "unique". While you were up in that area, did you see anyone that wasn't wearing at least one article of cammo?
    Yes. He had on no shirt, tats all over his body, and a confederate ball cap.

He also stood in the corner of the store, head down, slurping every 7 seconds. And he had no drink.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Yes. He had on no shirt, tats all over his body, and a confederate ball cap.

He also stood in the corner of the store, head down, slurping every 7 seconds. And he had no drink.

That store has been owned by the same family for a large number of years and I suspect that their family tree looks like a sailboat mast.
    Fishead, y'all make sure the horses have someplace dry to put their feet. With all that rain the bacteria will be bad, and cattle and horses tend to get some nasty 'toe jam' when their hooves stay too wet for too long.

Have you heard about the jail explosion in Pensacola? Looks like they'll be doing major work renovating it.

Lucily both patures are sand and drain pretty fast but we've had so much rain in the last few months that their frogs have been a little soft and Debbie has to do their hooves a lot more often than normal. She's doing hooves today matter of fact since school is out again. Everytime I get water pooling up in the pasture, we get another truckload of coarse sand and I spend a weekend on the tractor so sooner or later we won't have any more low spots.