Be weather aware

13»

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I hear you. Our younger quarterhorse is prone to hoof thrush every time we get a lot of rain. Nasty bidness.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Lucily both patures are sand and drain pretty fast but we've had so much rain in the last few months that their frogs have been a little soft and Debbie has to do their hooves a lot more often than normal. She's doing hooves today matter of fact since school is out again. Everytime I get water pooling up in the pasture, we get another truckload of coarse sand and I spend a weekend on the tractor so sooner or later we won't have any more low spots.
    Ever add stone dust to the mix? My cousins old ring was lumpy as heck after every good rain. I added stone dust to the mix and it would settle into the low spots and prevent the sand from shifting away during the rains. After a few days of riding and grooming, you couldn't wen tell it was in there.
13»