Learn me about nice sailboats please?

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Sorry to intrude on Your Holiness and Your Impeccable Judgment and disturb you in your lofty position as Forum Judge and Holy Arbitrator, where you sit on high and issue pronouncements to lowly members regarding their merits. I grovel at your feet, Oh Holy One!

I realize that you've been appointed FJ&HA and you can therefore observe events unfold like The Watcher from old Marvel Comics, and when a member has a spat with another member, you swoop in and declare anathema. Some others here might think that if there's a small tweak or dispute on things between members, that they usually offer a bit of jazzy and sarcastic horseplay between themselves for a few posts, and since the disputes are silly anyway, things calm down and "no harm no foul" is the accepted exit route for these little spats.

But Your Holiness is different, and we're all lucky to have Your Immense Presence and Great Judgment to bask in, that you can observe us lowly mortals until one of us breaks Holy Protocol, and then you toss the Holy Hand Grenade! Wondrous!

Did you miss some pills or something the past few days? Take a hard look at some of the stuff you've been penning lately, especially the post I quoted above, and think about it.

Or not, no big deal either way. Maybe you should go back to arguing about being right when obviously wrong about something as silly as a razor.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    Sam, as an aside, Kiwi vs Aussie, my cousin, Wolfgang Chamberlain (it's a real name), works on the America's Cup boats and he spent years in New Zealand with the team...not Australia. You want sailors? New Zealand.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    A good sailor can handle a 30'+ boat single handed no problem. A 40'+ footer properly rigged is not an issue either, I've done it myself. For a nice galley and cabin you are starting at about 28' in length. Smaller than that and all you have is a "day sailing" vessel. .

Well, I may be trying to create a type of sailboat that actually doesn't exist, and if so, I'll have to dump the whole sailing thing and have my doctor doing something other. I've been on a sailboat exactly one time in my life and really don't know whether I'm out of the whole thing.

"Day sailing" I do understand. What I'm trying to search for her is maybe a boat that's slightly larger, with maybe a teeny cabin and makeshift galley, just big enough boat for overnight excursions in the near-shore calm of the Gulf. Not an ocean cruiser or marathon-type journey boat, that's for certain.

Maybe just one step up from a "day sail" type of boat?

The whole thing has seemingly gotten out of hand however, and I of course wasn't trying to taunt anyone who offered genuine advice. It's my fault entirely, by not having clearly described what I was looking for in the first place and having ambiguous specs that got people confused. Mea culpa and all that. By saying that the boat would be "fancy" I inadvertently led people to think I meant "yacht" and so they spec'ed much larger boats, ocean-going maybe, types that need an actual "crew" and so on, huge expanses of sail and rigging and bosun chairs. I should have said "elegant" as the idea and not implied a larger vessel.

Maybe the boat type I imagined actually doesn't exist -- a small, elegant and lovely one-person sailer w. a teeny cabin into which you could squeeze 2 people, ha ha, and okay for overnights but definitely not long term cruising.

The idea is a boat that's actually big enough for two but only just so, and where Mitch gets underfoot and is yelled at because. Something to use as a good vehicle for his inadequacy and still a charming episode that leads to romance.

If the boat thing becomes unwieldy I'll junk the whole thing.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Sam, just remember, there's a helm or a tiller. Port is left and right is that other word. If you move your helm to port, you go left. If you move your tiller to port, you go right. If your sailing lady is a real captain...then Mitch is gonna be sissified really quickly when she cuts his landlubber's nuts off the first time he makes a mistake!

That's kind of the concept, Mitch as a joke pivot.

Easy to remember the difference between port vs starboard, because "starboard" and "right" both have an "R" in them!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    After reading some of the excerpts of your writing that you've posted, I would say CPJ's recommendation would suffice just fine for your book.

I'll take that as a compliment, I think.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,460 Senior Member
    A thought.

If you are trying to avoid the yuppie boater stuff, look for a older boat that she restored with her father when she was a kid. Gives you a little backstory to. As long as you didnt get to cute on type, something that is findable and reasonable, daddy might have been a sailor that found one in a backyard, worked her way through school on a tour yaght....

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/wooden-boat-building-restoration/1920s-sailboat-restoration-project-13741.html

http://classicsailboats.org/?p=1804

This just has more soul than a new boat.
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/350928995936205497/
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Easy to remember the difference between port vs starboard, because "starboard" and "right" both have an "R" in them!

So does "port."
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    Port and Left have four letters. Easiest way to remember.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member

Thats how I learned to remember.

I was Army not Navy, then I found out that doing load plans and manifests was part of my MOS and I had to know that stuff.

When your on a huge Fast Sealift Ship (SL7) and your looking for stowage locations you cant go to the wrong side of the ship, you will be walking up and down ladders and find your at the wrong location when you find a 5 ton truck instead of a hmmwv.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    That's apparently a nautical joke that's akin to sending some kid brother to buy striped paint, right? I'm a bit confused on that, if you could please expand on this, because it might be a joke that the gal teases Mitch about but he won't "bite" -- where would the bosun chair be on a small 1-person sailboat, so I can check out photos and so on? Thanks.

A bosuns chair is a small seat attached to a line (rope) that you sit in over the side to do some work, or the line is attached thru a Sheeve block (pulley) and you hoist yourself up to the top of the mast to repair something, in this case the wind indicator.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    A bosuns chair is a small seat attached to a line (rope) that you sit in over the side to do some work, or the line is attached thru a Sheeve block (pulley) and you hoist yourself up to the top of the mast to repair something, in this case the wind indicator.

JAY

Been there, done both, and nearly got drowned hanging over the side painting the hull from the waterline up. I was not amused at that particular incident, nor happy with the OOD that changed course using right full rudder and making the ship heel over in the turn.

Bosun's chair:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boatswain%27s_chair

Port and starboard; a little history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,698 Senior Member
    I agree with Wambli................Morris Yatchs. Their M52 is capable of being sailed solo and fits the bill of what an experienced wealthy female might own.

Here is a direct link to the M52

http://www.morrisyachts.com/features/m52/
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,476 Senior Member
    Learn me? I'm shocked, Sam. You're the last guy I thought would do this.

Sailboats don't matter, as the world must surely be coming to an end.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    tennmike wrote: »
    Been there, done both, and nearly got drowned hanging over the side painting the hull from the waterline up. I was not amused at that particular incident, nor happy with the OOD that changed course using right full rudder and making the ship heel over in the turn.

Bosun's chair:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boatswain%27s_chair

I actually know what a bosun's chair is. I just didn't know that they would be found on a small 1-crew sailboat. A warning was issued to me about them being a way to tease a landlubber like Mitch, which would make a good joke for bosun's chairs that are used on a small sailboat.

Oh, wait! I now understand... Mitch and the doctor are invited to visit someone who owns a larger boat, like a luxury yacht!! I totally forgot mentioning this chapter in the new novel. Keen.

LMLarsen wrote: »
    So does "port."

Arrgh! No WONDER I never got invited back!

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Learn me? I'm shocked, Sam. You're the last guy I thought would do this.

Sailboats don't matter, as the world must surely be coming to an end.

I was just going with the current trend in thread titles and the mildly humorous and deliberate error, "learn me about xxx".

That's rite!

orchidman wrote: »
    I agree with Wambli................Morris Yatchs. Their M52 is capable of being sailed solo and fits the bill of what an experienced wealthy female might own.

Way way too large. I understand the thing about these larger luxury boats or "yachts" but you gotta understand -- and I TOTALLY messed up my original spec list, so it's MY fault. I should have said I was looking for a SMALL sailboat when I instead accidentally spec'd a seagoing yacht. My bad.

Also, the doc works her tail off in surgery and wouldn't want a boat she could only "visit" occasionally. She does most of the upkeep and her little boat is special. I should have been more careful in my request.

When I said "luxury" my objective was "small but fancy" and should have said "elegant" instead. I'll try to put her into a smallish personalized sailboat but not a yacht, seagoing or not. Much too big.

But thanks!

cpj wrote: »
    Can't help with boat info, but the gal needs to be a Kiwi. Aussies are just....weird. Take that to the bank, I got that info from a trustworthy Kiwi.

From the excellent advice and background info I just received from a certain Kiwi, I have changed her origin from Aussie. When the boat or whatever is ready, I'll post some of the chapter.

Of course, I'll first need to secure permission from HRH but I'll endeavor to do my best.

JKP wrote: »
    Did you miss some pills or something the past few days? Take a hard look at some of the stuff you've been penning lately, especially the post I quoted above, and think about it.

Or not, no big deal either way. Maybe you should go back to arguing about being right when obviously wrong about something as silly as a razor.

I'm so very very fortunate to have your esteemed and highblown advice to rely on before I post further statements. I suppose we should all run our prospective posts past you to learn their validity. It's good to have you around!

I'm reminded of how Hamlet addresses King Claudius in his letter from exile: "Dear High and Mighty..."

We're pretty fortunate to have you as Sacred Arbiter and Puissant One (SAPO) to lower your presence, deus ex machina, into lowly affairs such as my postings, and comment on them. I should actually spring for some sort of instant communication device so I can have your advice minute-by-minute in all my comings and goings.

And when my 80,000 word novel is finished later this year, I'll be certain to get your feedback before it's sent to the agent. Not!

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,096 Senior Member
    Wambli, thanks for the good info, but you gotta understand that a couple here simply didn't understand what I was asking for. I smiled about it and re-stated my specs to make it more clear.

Most everyone immediately understood. But to recommend a custom built boat? Yes, as I said, in the real world if I were an enthusiast with lotsa bucks. But I'm creating a fictional scenario and I'm totally ignorant about sailboats. So recommending a custom craft is evidence that the person just didn't quite catch what I was asking for: a FAKE and FICTIONAL boat that I, ignorant of boats, could at least paint a modest picture of, take a hit from a website with photos and specs, visit Wiki for some lingo and other facts, and create a reasonable environment for the fictional characters to play around in.

Most suggested specific models and that's exactly what I wanted. Yes, were I actually shopping for a fancy boat, I'd go the custom route too.

My snarky response was spot on, dude. It happens all the time here, mostly about guns, of course, but you see it in most "tell me" threads. A guy will ask about which brand of BBQ grill to buy and he'll get some recommendations for BBQ sauce.

And we tussle with each other all the time, thank you.

But thanks so very much for the handy bold-text guide to what I already know I'd written. My original request was quite lucid. And I won't list your name.

For others, thanks a lot, the info should really help me spin 3-4 nice and entertaining chapters that aren't completely off the wall. I appreciate the help and would be pleased to repay the help as most authors do, by listing the person in their acknowledgement list.

Realistically, what's the difference between a custom boat and a production boat? Choice. All the parts have the same names, just more personalized specs. You could describe a custom "anything" as easily as a production "something".

Educate yourself on jargon and then describe the thing using a parts list.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    I actually know what a bosun's chair is. I just didn't know that they would be found on a small 1-crew sailboat. A warning was issued to me about them being a way to tease a landlubber like Mitch, which would make a good joke for bosun's chairs that are used on a small sailboat.

Oh, wait! I now understand... Mitch and the doctor are invited to visit someone who owns a larger boat, like a luxury yacht!! I totally forgot mentioning this chapter in the new novel. Keen.

Sam, if the halyard gets fouled, or the backstay or forestay wires need rerigging, the only way to do it is in a bosun's chair. Losing a staywire is serious business as the mast is in jeopardy of snapping under heavy load. Same for replacing the mooring light or working on the radar and radio antenna if so equipped. The bosun's chair on a small sailboat can be nothing much more than a canvas seat that you tie your upper body into the standing line to secure yourself. But whatever type you use, they are an important piece of equipment for anyone sailing more than just cruising the coast for a few hours.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,101 Senior Member
    You can still find a boat that may work for your book.

as i said, i would try to find a boat place in your neck of the woods and go from there. If there are any boat sale places try there.

My friends and i (3 or 4 of us) would get a Cal 27 and take it on over night trips up the columbia. It didn't have a stove, but it had a head. the Catalina 30s had a range/oven and a head/shower combo. the "galley" was nothing to write home about, but if you look around there no reason a boat can't be customized to meet you wants given certain limitations.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Realistically, what's the difference between a custom boat and a production boat? Choice. All the parts have the same names, just more personalized specs. You could describe a custom "anything" as easily as a production "something".

Educate yourself on jargon and then describe the thing using a parts list.

Too much of a commitment. Knowing zip about sailing I'd have to start from scratch, while if I choose a production boat, I only have to familiarize myself with the specs that already exist.

Remember that I'm not designing a new boat nor do I plan to order one, stock or custom. I'm JUST FAKING IT by creating a decently documented background in which to help introduce a new character and develop a romance. I only intend to talk about the boat to the needed degree to fill in a scenario. I am NOT designing a new boat.

A good parallel comparison... I want my protagonist to have a good quality .45 auto. So maybe I pick a Les Baer or a Kimber or Springfield or a Colt or whatever 1911-model pistol. After I've selected the brand and model (from scanning websites and getting feedback at G&A) I choose the gun and then I can refer to its magazine capacity, accuracy, size, etc. just by verifying this on the firm's website.

What you're asking that I do, parallel example, is to come up with a totally new design of auto, maybe using .45acp but develop a completely new pistol with various characteristics and spend time researching that imaginary new gun so it was authentic. Question is, Why? I'm NOT writing a book about weapon design. I'm writing a mystery about human beings in various circumstances. I can equip my "hero" with a Colt or Les Baer or whatever and that will be fine. Spending time "creating" a new pistol design would have zero thrust in the story. Now, were I writing a book about a special new pistol being created, then yes of course. But I'm not.

Neither am I writing a book about sailboat design. The boat will be FICTIONAL and selected from a website but it won't ever need to be launched because it only exists in the book. Spending time designing an entirely new sailboat (especially since I know zero anyway) would be silly.

If someone wants to write a book about someone who orders and designs a customized sailboat and spends time developing that custom boat in detail on the pages, be my guest.

The point of the sailboat is NOT to describe how to design a sailboat. Instead, it's a convenient and fairly nice way to place the romance and relationship elsewhere, and not just in a hotel or at his house or hers. It's a way that writers employ to generate variety of subject matter and keep the reader's interest. The boat will never exist.

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I always heard "Port and Starboard" in that order, just like I've always heard "Left and Right" in that order. Kinda more simple of a way to remember it.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    ilove22s wrote: »
    You can still find a boat that may work for your book.

as i said, i would try to find a boat place in your neck of the woods and go from there. If there are any boat sale places try there.

I actually thought about this, going to a marina, but 1- I'm handicapped and having a guy on a walker ask idiotic questions of some poor dealer when I've got no real intent on spending a dime would be rude. And I couldn't really get around anyway. 2- I'm not gonna have that much intense info or detail about the boat anyway -- just enough to create a reasonably persuasive image for the reader.

This is exactly the same as when I "create" a bar or restaurant in my book. I don't go to various bars and take photos and recreate them on the page. I use my imagination and remember various keen or oddball bars I've been to, and cherrypick aspects of several places to create the imaginary one.

My handicap is that I know a lot about bars (ha ha) but zip about sailboats. I've been on a couple, teeny and pretty large, and understand the basics -- rudder, sail placement, where stuff is located. So I'll take the boats recommended here and search the net, find a good real life boat that matches what I'm thinking of -- small, sleek, elegant, not huge and NOT a yacht. Something the doctor will own and enjoy and "seduce" Mitch on, but in a humorous way -- for example, he's getting hot and bothered and manages to get tangled in a line or accidentally release the anchor or whatever. Of the wind makes the boat come about and dumps Mitch overboard at the vital moment, causing great laughter and spoiling the sex. I'll work hard to make it realistic and funny but not a farce, keeping things believable.

Think of the boat as a movie set. It's as unreal as Air Force One's escape pod in that movie. But it's my objective to have an accurate "movie set" for my characters, and I'll get layouts and pics from websites and Wiki, and keep it simple stupid. Which is easy for me, ha ha.

Why the hell didn't they just call it.....left and right?

It's a plot to keep us landlubbers in the dark. Remember a few years ago when China suddenly changed the spelling of their cities? We can't just write "Peking" any more -- we have to say "Beijing" or whatever but we also can't pronounce it "Bee-jing" either. I've always suspected that it's a huge joke the Chinese are playing on the West.

Port and starboard the same.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    Why the hell didn't they just call it.....left and right?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    It's a plot to keep us landlubbers in the dark. Remember a few years ago when China suddenly changed the spelling of their cities? We can't just write "Peking" any more -- we have to say "Beijing" or whatever but we also can't pronounce it "Bee-jing" either. I've always suspected that it's a huge joke the Chinese are playing on the West.

Port and starboard the same.

No, they're not.

And for your protagonist:

Jon-Boat-cover_fu.jpg
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,096 Senior Member
    Too much of a commitment. Knowing zip about sailing I'd have to start from scratch, while if I choose a production boat, I only have to familiarize myself with the specs that already exist.

Remember that I'm not designing a new boat nor do I plan to order one, stock or custom. I'm JUST FAKING IT by creating a decently documented background in which to help introduce a new character and develop a romance. I only intend to talk about the boat to the needed degree to fill in a scenario. I am NOT designing a new boat.

A good parallel comparison... I want my protagonist to have a good quality .45 auto. So maybe I pick a Les Baer or a Kimber or Springfield or a Colt or whatever 1911-model pistol. After I've selected the brand and model (from scanning websites and getting feedback at G&A) I choose the gun and then I can refer to its magazine capacity, accuracy, size, etc. just by verifying this on the firm's website.

What you're asking that I do, parallel example, is to come up with a totally new design of auto, maybe using .45acp but develop a completely new pistol with various characteristics and spend time researching that imaginary new gun so it was authentic. Question is, Why? I'm NOT writing a book about weapon design. I'm writing a mystery about human beings in various circumstances. I can equip my "hero" with a Colt or Les Baer or whatever and that will be fine. Spending time "creating" a new pistol design would have zero thrust in the story. Now, were I writing a book about a special new pistol being created, then yes of course. But I'm not.

Neither am I writing a book about sailboat design. The boat will be FICTIONAL and selected from a website but it won't ever need to be launched because it only exists in the book. Spending time designing an entirely new sailboat (especially since I know zero anyway) would be silly.

If someone wants to write a book about someone who orders and designs a customized sailboat and spends time developing that custom boat in detail on the pages, be my guest.

The point of the sailboat is NOT to describe how to design a sailboat. Instead, it's a convenient and fairly nice way to place the romance and relationship elsewhere, and not just in a hotel or at his house or hers. It's a way that writers employ to generate variety of subject matter and keep the reader's interest. The boat will never exist.

I give up.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers