Toyota moving to TEXAS

41magnut41magnut Senior MemberPosts: 1,158 Senior Member
Welcome to TEXAS.
Come on in, become a Texan enjoy the good life.
Leave your politics in California. Thank you.

http://kfyo.com/report-toyota-relocating-u-s-headquarters-from-california-to-texas/
"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,010 Senior Member
    NICE! But I still probably won't buy one!
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    They already make pickups there.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    Dr. db wrote: »
    They already make pickups there.

Yes, they do. Down around around San Antonio.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    They make more cars in the US than GM.

I did not know that.
    The Tundra is under consideration for my retirement gift. As distasteful as I find the GM bail out, the Chevy Suburban is still the best vehicle built as far as I am concerned.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,740 Senior Member
    Toyota makes guns?????
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,468 Senior Member
    I'll buy a Toyota as soon as they start making this again........

yf71s.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    The other silly argument you hear is "but you are sending the profits to Japan" or wherever....

Who do these folks think some of the larger shareholders in the Big Three are?

I drive an F150 but have no issues with foreign cars these days. Considering the volume of so called foreign cars that are built stateside the old ways of thinking just aren't valid anymore.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,262 Senior Member
    Their truck engines are made right here. Drive past the plant everyday. I think they are on their 3rd expansion.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    They are brought to us by the same people that gave us Pearl Harbor. I don't care if they are made or assembled here, where does the profit go? Japan, I suspect....Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,269 Senior Member
    Nissan moved its US corporate headquarters to Nashville Tennessee a few years ago. They've been manufacturing cars at Smyrna and engines/transmissions at Cowan Tennessee for 20-something years. There are untold numbers of peripheral suppliers of stuff like dashboards, seats, wiring harnesses, etc. in the Middle Tennessee area that are totally-owned US independent businesses. Nissan just puts out specifications for bid like any other manufacturer- - - -GM, Chrysler (Fiat), Ford, etc. However, unlike GM and Chrysler, they don't need US taxpayers' money to keep from going belly-up!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,019 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »
    Yes, they do. Down around around San Antonio.

I did not know that.
    The Tundra is under consideration for my retirement gift. As distasteful as I find the GM bail out, the Chevy Suburban is still the best vehicle built as far as I am concerned.
    You won't be disappointed with a new Tundra, mine out pulls and leaves my friend's F-150 in the dust. Wish it got better mileage, maybe If I kept my foot out of it?
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    They are brought to us by the same people that gave us Pearl Harbor. I don't care if they are made or assembled here, where does the profit go? Japan, I suspect....Robin

The wages they pay American workers stay right here.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    The wages they pay American workers stay right here.

And quite a few of their vehicles have more domestically sourced parts than the so called domestic brands.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    4 of the top 10 vehicles in Cars.com's 2013 American-Made Index were Toyotas.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami

My new Highlander was built in Indiana.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    Love my 99 Tacoma.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Is that the one with the straight front axle?

That one looks like the 1984-1988 variety. The straight axles were earlier. Those straight axle pups rolled easier.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

yf71s.jpg

Aww. . .that's cute! Here you go Toyota fans - bleed a little: http://tlc4x4.com/TruckDetail.asp?TruckID=137 A year older, and a lot cleaner than mine. . .

84 was the last year of solid front axles in the pickups, though the U.S. market Land Cruisers kept them until '97.

I still want my '78 Corolla wagon back.:tissue:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,668 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »

I had a 76(4 door) and a 78(2 door) Corolla back to back. Those cars were freaking bullet proof and insanely fun to drive.

And Wambli is right. My commute every morning runs right next to the rail line with all those 'american made' trucks coming up from Mexico for 'final assembly' in Detroit.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,468 Senior Member
    Aww. . .that's cute! Here you go Toyota fans - bleed a little: http://tlc4x4.com/TruckDetail.asp?TruckID=137 A year older, and a lot cleaner than mine. . .

84 was the last year of solid front axles in the pickups, though the U.S. market Land Cruisers kept them until '97.

Even the mid-size trucks do not fit in my garage.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

85 was the last year for the straight axle, I have two 85's and an 84 for parts.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    85 was the last year for the straight axle, I have two 85's and an 84 for parts.

I guess I'm lumping the early 4-runner in there in error. IIRC, the 4-Runner debuted in '85 and has always been IFS. Some minor overlap with the solid axle Hi-Lux then?

The Cruiser is more my area, but there is something about the old solid axle 4x4 pickup with the tie-down pegs on the OUTSIDE of the bed that moves me. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,871 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

yf71s.jpg

Yep. my neighbor had one. Sold it last summer and I didn't even know it was for sale. He sold it for 1000 bucks.:bang:
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    I don't mind new business coming to Texas but when they come from communist states I hope the leave their liberal minded people there!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,672 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »

You want to help the American economy? Buy a Mercedes Benz SUV, they are all made here in the USA!
    Yep 17.3 miles from here, and they pay the wife quite well (more than I've ever made a either a paramedic or a long haul driver/trainer) Though not ALL USA made, they get most of their engines from Germany
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,269 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - -Toyota, Mercedes, Nissan, even Volkswagen- - - -when the south decides to secede again at least we will have plenty of places to manufacture armed pickups!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hmmmm- - when the south decides to secede again at least we will have plenty of places to manufacture armed pickups!
    Jerry

Ah!

But will you stop at Poland and Singapore this time?

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!