New driveway!

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,558 Senior Member
My driveway has been an embarrassing potholed mess the last two years. Possibly the best $780 I ever spent.

driveway2_zps4ad9fa80.jpg

driveway_zpsa4c0cd15.jpg
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    Gravel or reclaimed asphalt?
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,558 Senior Member
    First they laid down 1.5" minus rocks and then topped it with gravel. All said and done, it was 39 yards of material.

Ayn Rand
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Nice job, about time -- the neighbors were starting to whisper.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Our driveway is well over 300 feet long and steep. a 25 degree grade is a conservative estimate. It was paved at one time but has washed out badly which makes a permanent fix pricey. One estimate we got was 5K and I didn't feel comfortable that he saw the drainage issues to address to make it a long term fix.
    You don't need 4 wheel drive but there is lots of tire spinning. Our neighbor had her's done for about 7K and I can see it ain't gonna last.
    Up on top it;s paved and sealed to the house and the shop, at our place I mean.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    samzhere wrote: »
    Nice job, about time -- the neighbors were starting to whisper.

The UPS and FedEx guys were complaining. A lot.

Ayn Rand
    Our driveway is well over 300 feet long and steep. a 25 degree grade is a conservative estimate. It was paved at one time but has washed out badly which makes a permanent fix pricey. One estimate we got was 5K and I didn't feel comfortable that he saw the drainage issues to address to make it a long term fix.
    You don't need 4 wheel drive but there is lots of tire spinning. Our neighbor had her's done for about 7K and I can see it ain't gonna last.
    Up on top it;s paved and sealed to the house and the shop, at our place I mean.

My driveway isn't steep, but it is about 400' long. There is (was) a low spot that collects water and creates a mud bog. I'm hoping filling it with rocks will improve it's drainage.

Ayn Rand