Number of Rounds per Year

DeerdudeDeerdude BannedPosts: 1 New Member
Hi everybody,

I'm kinda new in the hunting business, and I'm trying to figure out how many rounds does the average hunter buy a year. Any ideas? How much ammo do you guys buy each year for hunting?

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    Welcome...there is a HUGE difference between the folks that hang out here and the "average" hunter. In truth (IMHO)I think the "average" person buys a box of ammo a year and is jumping up and down, clapping his hands happy if he can slop three of that box into a pie plate at a hundred yards....the expectations of most of the folks here are set a tad higher than that....

I honestly could not tell you how much ammo I "buy" every year because, by and large, I load everything I shoot. Conservatively, I probably run through 500 to a 1000 rounds a year in my quest of "getting what I settle for" with the comparatively large number of rifles I have....some years more, some years less...

The number of rounds I use actually hunting as opposed to preparing for hunting is a small fraction of those rounds.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...my granpa used to go 2-3 seasons w/ the same box (20 rounds) of ammo, I "used" 5 rounds last fall for two elk & a mule deer buck. Still, I try to shoot @ least a box a mo. thru my hunting rifles, don't always quite make it. It's like riding a bike, once you learn, you got it, but if you haven't done it for a while, you tend to be a little shaky @ first, so around say, 500-700 rounds a yr., throw in the .223 varmint rifle & 6.5 Creedmoor toy & that doubles pretty easily...

...but a box a mo. or 100 rounds a yr. is a good target, more is better...
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    That number is going to depend on how much shooting you do other than rechecking your rifle's zero and the actual hunt. Your natural shooting ability comes into play here as well.
    As a youngster I knew old guys that a box of shells would last several years, as they seldom fired more than 1 or 2 shots before going hunting and most times only used 1 to fill their tag.
    My dad and my uncles usually reloaded one box of shells a year, they would use the rounds left over from the year before to "sight their rifles in" and then most times would only use 5 or 6 rounds to take 2 antelope and deer and 1 elk.

My advice is to not worry about what the "average" hunter does. Spend more time on developing your own shooting skills, and use what ever ammo is necessary.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,612 Senior Member
    Deerdude wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I'm kinda new in the hunting business, and I'm trying to figure out how many rounds does the average hunter buy a year. Any ideas? How much ammo do you guys buy each year for hunting?

I sense a "loaded" question here. An underlying motive? Research paper? Seems more to this than just the question.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I sense a "loaded" question here. An underlying motive? Research paper? Seems more to this than just the question.
    Research for what!

I wondered :troll: when I saw this this morning.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    Twice it was asked how many rounds the average hunter "buys".

It seems like the more logical question would have been how many rounds does the average hunter fire.

I'm going with Zebedia's instincts.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Who is average?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • best defensebest defense New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    If you figure that most hunters harvest no more than one animal per year and expend no more than two rounds in the process, then calculate that the same hunter probably checks his/her zero before the hunt, I would guess that most hunters expend no more than 10-15 rounds per year while in the act of hunting.
    States East of the Mississippi seem to have a much larger deer population than states in other parts of the country, especially the far west coast, so hunters in the east often get a tag that allows them to shoot several deer. Those hunters may in fact expend more ammo actually killing a game animal than in places where hunters are limited to one animal per tag.
    If that same person really enjoys shooting as a sport, that number would be much higher.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,215 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I buy enough.
    We know Chris. Oh, we know!
    cpj wrote: »
    Finally. I thought you guys had slipped. Between a couple nice folks here, I've got around 175 ish bullets for my deer rifle. That's 25 deer. :up:

That made me laugh.

Optimistic, but still funny.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    And your Spidey sense was right. The dude is with some market research company in Israel...
    :banned:

BAM!!!!

How ya like me now?!! Thank you........thanks.......I'm here all week.

:-)
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    And your Spidey sense was right. The dude is with some market research company in Israel...

Tell him to send a few thousand million rounds of .22 LR over here, STAT!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    BAM!!!!

How ya like me now?!! Thank you........thanks.......I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitresses!

:-)

FIFY
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,530 Senior Member

IF HE WAS IMI, get him back.. Loved their 45acp before ammo became gold plated. I'll tell him whatever he needs to hear to ramp up production.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • gaimangaiman Banned Posts: 60 Member
    standing, unsupported, under stress, etc, in the game fields, reliably hitting a 10" mark at 100 yds is good shooting. What you can do from a bench rest doesn't mean a thing on big game. Maybe on prairie dogs, but that's it.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,044 Senior Member
    I would call "good shooting" getting rid of an ego and preconceived ideas, and use any kind of support you can find in the field, to ensure good shot placement.
    gaiman wrote: »
    standing, unsupported, under stress, etc, in the game fields, reliably hitting a 10" mark at 100 yds is good shooting. What you can do from a bench rest doesn't mean a thing on big game. Maybe on prairie dogs, but that's it.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member

Every critter I have shot in the last 15 years has been accomplished with some kind of support...bipod, tripod, tree limb...etc....it's about a clean humane kill...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    What you can do from a bench rest doesn't mean a thing on big game.

This is an incorrect statement.

If you would like to discuss further, we can. If you are simply making drive by trolls...........carry on.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member

This why we practice shooting with our big toes.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,044 Senior Member
    Most definitely:yikes:
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    This why we practice shooting with our big toes.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    This is an incorrect statement.

If you would like to discuss further, we can. If you are simply making drive by trolls...........carry on.

Door #2 gets my vote.
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member

There is some truth to that. I have never seen anybody in the elk timber or the antelope flats get a shot from their Frankford Arsenal Shooting bench using adjustable forearm rests and bench bags, or a lead sled....
    We do see quite often in match shooting the offhand targets are the ones that will more often than not determine the winner.
    I would suggest that while the benchrest is a handi thing to find your most accurate loads, continually shooting from the bench doesn't do much for you when the elk come busting down the ridge thru the timber straight at you, or that mule deer buck that's laying under the rock ledge across the canyon, and you're going to have to shoot from a positiong that won't let you slide down the hill while trying to hold a sight picture.. And it of course does nothing to help you concentrate on keeping the sight picture on that antelope bucks shoulder with your knee cap firmly placed in a barrel cactus..
    Won't get into the shooting on calm days because on the windy days the wind blows your bullets around..
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Rnds per year
    I think in rnds per day.

But, today was a 0 day, tooo0000 hot.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,418 Senior Member
    standing, unsupported, under stress, etc.

That's why I prefer to use my "gun" in the prone position. Holding up the massive weight of that thing makes me too tired to be accurate when it goes off! Some of you who have actually had your hands on it can back me up on this!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member

This may or may not be true. Depends on the hunter. You can't stereotype hunters. As for me, if I can find a rest close by to shoot from I'm going to do that. No bragging but I shot a hog year before last at 320 yards. I hit it right where I was aiming. I had the forearm of my rifle resting on the window ledge of my deer blind. Some people aren't so particular about their marksmanship and usually shoot at nothing farther than 100 yards if that. So far, after hunting 50 some odd years my longest kill was around 400 yards. I try to get shots much closer and this was an exception, but sometimes that's all that presents itself to me. But if I shoot that far, you can bet I have confidence of taking an animal cleanly at that range. To do that takes much more accuracy than what you stated. I know a lot of people that are capable of shots that long or much longer. So what you say is not always true, by a long shot. Depends on the hunter.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.