Remington R51 review

jonzy1427jonzy1427 New MemberPosts: 1 New Member
I enjoyed the R51 review. The original R51 looks like my father's Deutche Werkes .380 auto. He carried it during WW11 as a security guard at a meat packing plant in Louisville, Ky.

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Welcome.

And gun magazines are paid by gun makers to run articles. Take them for what they're worth.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Tim's review on Military Arms Channel. Very thorough review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTzS4sQfn4U
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,789 Senior Member
    I like the looks of the pistol, but I'll wait until they get the thing working right before I think about buying one. Firing out of battery is a definite NO BUY for me.
    Wouldn't want to scar my handsome rugged looks. :tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Is Nick Leghorn related to Fog Horn Leghorn? Just wondering. :confused: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,261 Senior Member
    I've read on another forum people are having nothing but problems with them, sending them back 2 and 3 times. Not seen one owner with a good thing to say about them. Disappointing to say the least.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,061 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

A good and honest review. And I will say we tend to pay more attention to negative reviews, instinctively. But seeing is believing.

I already have a Kahr and a Shield, can't imagine wanting another small(ish) 9mm.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Fat Billy wrote: »

Is that a Joke, boy, ah say, a Joke?
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

That was an excellent very comprehensive review. It's a shame because I was very interested when these first came out. It seems the bean counters are in charge. If I buy a Remington or Marlin any time soon it'll be an older one off the used rack.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that they are having issues with their new R-51 pistol. I was glad to see an old arms maker get back more into handgun making. I'm sure they will get the bugs out, eventually.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    First one I ever saw in the flesh (..er, steel) was one being sent back for repair. That was about 6-8 weeks ago. We have them in stock now, nice look and feel, trigger feels plastic-y IMO. Not bad, but really, plenty of other choices in that size range. Hopefully Remington works the bugs out, but seeing as we just sent every 700 that was in inventory (including used) back for recall work....not sure how much I trust their bug finding skills these days.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,726 Senior Member
    First one I ever saw in the flesh (..er, steel) was one being sent back for repair. That was about 6-8 weeks ago. We have them in stock now, nice look and feel, trigger feels plastic-y IMO. Not bad, but really, plenty of other choices in that size range. Hopefully Remington works the bugs out, but seeing as we just sent every 700 that was in inventory (including used) back for recall work....not sure how much I trust their bug finding skills these days.

Wow, similar issues or a bunch of different stuff?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I was interested based on looks alone. Maybe they will get it lined out and I can be interested again.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    It was a huge recall on the safety's on Model 700's

Had to do with the glue they put on the triggers too, I think.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Had to do with the glue they put on the triggers too, I think.

Yea they put so much glue in them to stop people from working on them it was causing some guns to misfire, IIRC
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • rehreh New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    I've had an R51 for a few months now, and put about 1,500 rounds through it. It's been very reliable, shoots easily, minimum recoil, very accurate, and has become one of my favorite handguns. Frankly, I don't understand how people have problems with this gun if they assemble it correctly. By that, I'm referring to inserting the slide stop and breech block assembly back in correctly. (Read the manual!) I've let a few shooters at my range try it out, and all agree that it's a great gun to shoot. Get it if you're interested in it, you'll like it.
    reh wrote: »
    I've had an R51 for a few months now, and put about 1,500 rounds through it. It's been very reliable, shoots easily, minimum recoil, very accurate, and has become one of my favorite handguns. Frankly, I don't understand how people have problems with this gun if they assemble it correctly. By that, I'm referring to inserting the slide stop and breech block assembly back in correctly. (Read the manual!) I've let a few shooters at my range try it out, and all agree that it's a great gun to shoot. Get it if you're interested in it, you'll like it.

Nope, nope, nopety nope. Not going to buy one until it's manufacturing defects are cured. I will NOT NEVER EVER buy a new or used pistol that has a history of firing out of battery. That is one defect that makes it not even last on the 'going to buy' list. When they get the manufacturing defects worked out then I will buy one. Firing out of battery is a bunch of lawsuits waiting to happen.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I haven't heard of that problem, or experienced any other problems. I'm still thinking it's poor assembly until I find out otherwise. Still, I appreciate your caution. If I thought mine was a problem I wouldn't be shooting it.
    I haven't heard of that problem, or experienced any other problems. I'm still thinking it's poor assembly until I find out otherwise. Still, I appreciate your caution. If I thought mine was a problem I wouldn't be shooting it.

Look at the video linked above, look at every real world review, not mags who get ad money from the gun mfrs. Look at other forums. This gun has real problems, you are one of the lucky ones.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,666 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Welcome.

And gun magazines are paid by gun makers to run articles. Take them for what they're worth.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/

Take every thing you read on TTAG with a mine's worth of Salt. They have a very bad rep in the gun blog world for stealing material, and generally shady practices. Plus, ol' Nick kicked over a fire ant mound with his review:
    http://sheriffjimwilson.com/2014/05/21/sour-grapes/
    According to Mr. Leghorn it would seem he thinks that all of us in the firearms print industry are on the take. But he went on to let something slip… what we in law enforcement used to call a clue. You see, Mr. Leghorn just recently applied for a job as an editor at NRA Publications and Shooting Illustrated and was turned down. My question to Mr. Leghorn would be, “If we are all lying [edited], why are you trying to go to work with us? Do you want to be a lying [edited], too?”
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    I converse with and "follow" Sheriff Wilson through FB, and he, and quite a few others are of the opinion that the pre-production prototypes, that most of the gun writers used for their reviews, apparently didn't have the problems that the production models are having.

Isn't the first time a problem showed up in the production models that hadn't shown up before, irregardless if you're talking firearms, automobiles, computers/software.

Will "big green" get the kinks worked out? Probably, or if they can't they'll drop the 51 like yesterday's dirty socks.

Will I buy one right now? NOPE, I don't buy the first year's model vehicle after a major re-vamp either. I wait a model year or two for them to get the kinks worked out of a vehicle, and IF, I decide I want a 51, I'll wait until they have a chance to straighten them out as well.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

So what about the one Eli linked? That guy wrong also, even though he has it on film of an out of battery ignition with a gun Remington sent him after he documented failure of production gun he was supposed to sell in his store? I really wanted this to be a good gun too.

BAMAAK wrote: »
    Look at the video linked above, look at every real world review, not mags who get ad money from the gun mfrs. Look at other forums. This gun has real problems, you are one of the lucky ones.

I'd rather go by the performance of my R51 than someone else's reviews. I've seen some of the youtube videos, and like I say, that's not at all how my gun performs. I haven't had one problem with mine. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe they didn't assemble theirs correctly. I'm trying to add some balance to this discussion, because my experience and what I've seen on blogs aren't the same. About 180 degrees apart. That said, I don't blame anyone for being cautions. We all need to have confidence in what we carry to protect us. Just don't believe everything you see/hear on the internet. Find someone in your area with an R51 and try it out.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Yea they put so much glue in them to stop people from working on them it was causing some guns to misfire, IIRC

I bought my wife the 700 ADL Synthetic with the X M P Trigger which I didn't like anyway. I'm not sending it back, I'm putting a Timney on it, which I thought about doing when I bought it. Problem solved. Piece of Crap trigger in the first place.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I'd rather go by the performance of my R51 than someone else's reviews. I've seen some of the youtube videos, and like I say, that's not at all how my gun performs. I haven't had one problem with mine. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe they didn't assemble theirs correctly. I'm trying to add some balance to this discussion, because my experience and what I've seen on blogs aren't the same. About 180 degrees apart. That said, I don't blame anyone for being cautions. We all need to have confidence in what we carry to protect us. Just don't believe everything you see/hear on the internet. Find someone in your area with an R51 and try it out.

I'm glad you got a good one. But.......................there are too many reports of serious malfunctions with the R51 right now for me to put money in a pistol with a spotty reputation on first introduction. I'd rather wait a few months for the manufacturing of the production models to be refined to the point that the pistols that fail are the rare exception rather than the rule. I have already said that a pistol capable of firing out of battery is NOT something I'm willing to bet my life, and eyesight, on not to mention a possible very bad hand injury. When I fire a pistol, and especially if it were in defense of my life, I am not going to waste time checking if it went into battery after every shot, and shouldn't have to; I expect it to be no less than 100% reliable in function. Remington will either get the thing functioning flawlessly, or drop it like a hot potato if they can't; I believe they WILL get it running like a well oiled sewing machine fast. It is in their best interest to do so, and they are a stand up company that occasionally screws the pooch. How they handle this latest major glitch in a product introduction will tell the tale.

Buying a pistol to review can get to be an expensive proposition if it doesn't turn out well. Two separate and unrelated negative reviews are enough to turn me off. These reviews are thorough and without an axe to grind.

I don't own one and likely never will, even if the reviews were positive.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Buying a pistol to review can get to be an expensive proposition if it doesn't turn out well. Two separate and unrelated negative reviews are enough to turn me off. These reviews are thorough and without an axe to grind.

I don't own one and likely never will, even if the reviews were positive.

I agree, however I'm with Mike a little bit. Big green will figure this out but this screwing of pooches is becoming a bad habit with them. Witness the recent and massive trigger recall.
    When this new 51 came out I had a strong interest. Remington is known for stocking the shelves before releasing new products. so assuming they fired these for function, what did they know and when did they know it?
    I'm a big fan of the used rack but I'd be scared of one of these. Has it been fixed? Will it be okay? Til it's not? No thank you.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »

Yes I think they're second cousins twice removed or something to that effect, :jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I agree, however I'm with Mike a little bit. Big green will figure this out but this screwing of pooches is becoming a bad habit with them. Witness the recent and massive trigger recall.
    When this new 51 came out I had a strong interest. Remington is known for stocking the shelves before releasing new products. so assuming they fired these for function, what did they know and when did they know it?
    I'm a big fan of the used rack but I'd be scared of one of these. Has it been fixed? Will it be okay? Til it's not? No thank you.

MileHighShooter addressed the Remington trigger problem in post #17. Too much glue in the trigger to prevent adjusting the trigger by owners. The older Remington triggers were easy to adjust; too easy, in fact. People that shouldn't have had access to tools adjusted their triggers to the point that sear engagement was dangerous and the result was that even the shock of chambering a round released the sear causing a discharge. The Rem. lawyers probably had a hand in the glue used in the new triggers, and the result was an unintended consequence.

Back in the bad old days of the '60s Remington shipped rifles with the trigger mechanism loaded with grease. The grease was supposed to be removed before use, but that didn't happen. The grease would harden over time, and the result was that a trigger would not reset and the firing pin would follow the bolt on closing; no problem as it wouldn't fire. But it also could cause a partial reset of the sear, and the sear would slip off the bolt cocking piece on closing and drop the firing pin on a chambered round; not good. They stopped that grease packing because people didn't read the manual. They try to take out the "loose nut behind the trigger" factor and ended up making a new problem with the solution.

Wambli, my first Remington ADL was in .30-06 and cost $99.99 in 1967. I still have it. Ahhh! The good ole days!

If you've shot 30 boxes of bullets through your pistol, you must be rich! And have a red shooting hand. That's a lot of shooting.

I'm not interested in the platform. I am assuming the reviewers did read the manual, and both suffered recoil pain between the thumb and trigger finger. The gun needs some serious attention from Remington. I would bet you won't see this pistol in five years. Simply too many things wrong with it and too many negative reviews.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06