Mexican Vigilantes Asked to Register Firearms

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 15,053 Senior Member
So local, state, and federal law enforcement failed to protect the area. These people got it done. Now they want the vigilantes to stand down, and either join the police force, or go back to their old lives. Oh, and they want all their guns to be registered...
http://news.yahoo.com/mexico-legalize-vigilantes-fighting-drug-cartel-040406200.html

Something tells me that had all the guns been registered/legal according to Mexican laws before, there wouldn't have been a vigilante force to begin with.

Replies

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    I dunno, we did it Iraq with the Sons of Iraq. The sunni's wanted to police their own neighborhoods. It was either support them and monitor or grow another enemy that should have been a friend.

After we got the stupid armor units to stop shooting them, it worked out.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    The registration though... Can you imagine if someone in the drug cartel infiltrated the government and got that registration list, what would happen? My hat is off to the vigilantes for doing what their government couldn't-- by sometimes using weapons banned by their government. I hope they don't cave to their government's demands and register those guns. Nothing good will become of it.
    I see your point. And we know that government is pretty Porous.

You remember the original Red dawn? What was the first thing the general did...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Exactly!
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,562 Senior Member
    I see your point. And we know that government is pretty Porous.

You remember the original Red dawn? What was the first thing the general did...

Arrgh....Bella was a colonel! :tooth:
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    You're right Cali
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,411 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    The registration though... Can you imagine if someone in the drug cartel infiltrated the government and got that registration list, what would happen? My hat is off to the vigilantes for doing what their government couldn't-- by sometimes using weapons banned by their government. I hope they don't cave to their government's demands and register those guns. Nothing good will become of it.

The cartel would have that info. live streamed into there palaces. With executions taking place moments later. And guess where those firearms would end up.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    So how do you shout "Wolverines!" in espanol?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Wolverino...

¡¡¡HAMBRON!!!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,327 Senior Member
    Regarding registration, from what I've read the Mexican Government will allow them to keep ONLY the guns that fit inside the legal restrictions currently valid; if my memory doesn't fail me, that means no semiauto magazine-fed rifles, no "military calibers", and no handguns bigger than .38 Special/.380ACP, so bye-bye to any chance of at least somewhat be able to stand ground against the drug lords' "troops" firepower.

From my personal experience, in the 3rld. world registration means future confiscation list. Civilian legally-owned guns are considered by "Los presidentes" and politicians as a flimsy privilege, not a right.

The Spanish name for the Wolverine is "Glotón", that is the same name you give someone who compulsively eats too much. Literal translation would mean "Wolf-alike", "Young wolf" or something like that, but never employed unless is one of the poor and very funny translations stubborn Spaniards do (Or at least used to do) to English in an effort to dis-anglicize everything.....I think it was done to the X-Men character in translated movies and/or comics.