conceal carry

9mmlargo9mmlargo New MemberPosts: 5 New Member
This summer I will be driving though a couple of states that do not allow “open carry”. Would a Sneaky Pete holster be considered open carry.

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,278 Senior Member
    Don't see how it could be but check the laws of the states you are going to drive through and verify your current permit allows you to carry there also.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,233 Senior Member
    You have to check. I think a Sneaky Pete is concealed carry.

But the Question isn't clear; unless you intend to carry a firearm on your person in plain view it's not open carry. It's something else. In GA, you can have a weapon in your vehicle so long as it's either in a compartment, like a glove compartment, or so long as it's not concealed within easy reach without a permit at all. Or if it's in plain view, which is a different theory of being armed. That's the old law but since the advent of recently passed HB 60, concealed carry has become easier.

I'm not a fan of "Open Carry" in full view. It's for attention hounds.I'm a big fan of concealed carry.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    A Sneaky Pete holster would be concealed carry, not open.

What you need to do is first ensure that your current CHL (concealed handgun license) is recognized by the states through which you'll be traveling.

If of course you don't have a CHL and you get grabbed for concealed carry, you're in a world of hurt. In that case, unload the weapon and keep it in the trunk or baggage storage whatever.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    If of course you don't have a CHL and you get grabbed for concealed carry, you're in a world of hurt. In that case, unload the weapon and keep it in the trunk or baggage storage whatever.
    Depends on where you are. In FL, you can carry a loaded firearm in a holster in your glove box or center console.

But we don't know where the OP is going, if they have a concealed carry permit, or anything else, really.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Depends on where you are. In FL, you can carry a loaded firearm in a holster in your glove box or center console.

But we don't know where the OP is going, if they have a concealed carry permit, or anything else, really.

Close.

It can be naked in the glove box or center console or any other secure-able container without need for a CWP.

It can be carried concealed in the car secured in a holster even under the seat or door map pocket, but not naked in those locations.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    And that just shows that one needs to stay updated on the laws, as it used to be as I stated.

OTOH, I have a CWP, so I really don't need to worry about that...
    Overkill is underrated.
    Depends on where you go if you should worry. SC does not recognize GA's Firearms License, and probably others as well. A lot of the Northeast doesn't recognize any CWP.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    And that just shows that one needs to stay updated on the laws, as it used to be as I stated.

OTOH, I have a CWP, so I really don't need to worry about that...

Ditto. No sense in not having one.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Gene L wrote: »
    Depends on where you go if you should worry. SC does not recognize GA's Firearms License, and probably others as well. A lot of the Northeast doesn't recognize any CWP.

FL doesn't recognize SC's permit.

Best to check. http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    SC pisses me off. I can go dang near anywhere i want in the SE, but SC, my next closest neighboring state after FL, doesn't recognize anybody.
    Buffco wrote: »
    SC pisses me off. I can go dang near anywhere i want in the SE, but SC, my next closest neighboring state after FL, doesn't recognize anybody.

I agree. Very politically motivated policy. And very annoying.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    weird.......the map says SC honors an Az permit.....but not your State.........very strange......
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Close.

It can be naked in the glove box or center console or any other secure-able container without need for a CWP.

It can be carried concealed in the car secured in a holster even under the seat or door map pocket, but not naked in those locations.

Correct. The key words are "securely encased". It must be "securely encased". HOWEVER.... If I remember correctly, per a ruling in Miami some years ago, that would include even a shoebox. As long as SOME sort of action must be taken before the weapon is wielded (ie. it must be removed from some sort of container).

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Depends on the state laws as to what is concealed, what is not.

I've heard that SC does not recognize GA's Firearms Permit because GA does not necessitate a training course to carry a weapon. I don't know if this is true or not. In GA, if it's within "lunging distance" it can't be concealed without a License. Used to be, had to be in a holster to be carried with a License, but that changed.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • gaimangaiman Banned Posts: 60 Member
    Velcro edged (long end) pistol case opens quickly. Especially if it's mounted under the dash and one side of the case is secured. :-) A speedloader is not "part" of the revolver, either. :-)In some jurisdictions, a sealed plastic bag suffices. Just tear it open enough to get your finger inside of the triggerguard. Muzzleblast.concussion will take care of the rest of the "problem" with the plastic bag. :-)
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    gaiman wrote: »
    Velcro edged (long end) pistol case opens quickly. Especially if it's mounted under the dash and one side of the case is secured. :-) A speedloader is not "part" of the revolver, either. :-)In some jurisdictions, a sealed plastic bag suffices. Just tear it open enough to get your finger inside of the triggerguard. Muzzleblast.concussion will take care of the rest of the "problem" with the plastic bag. :-)

....and in other jurisdictions a speedloader is considered a magazine...and a loaded magazine is considered a weapon with a separate CCW charge for every round in the magazine....lesson here...review and know the laws of the states you are visiting...if you are unsure...call the State AG's office...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"