Home Main Category General Firearms

Confession... I've become addicted..

JeeperJeeper Senior MemberPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
To short barrel Marlin leverguns....

This came home today. Marlin 1894S Limited in .45 Colt

Bah. Pic not uploading.
Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Replies

• 10 AC10 AC Member Posts: 309 Member
    I've been on a Marlin kick lately also. Would love to have a Maurader in .35 Rem. or one of the .444Ps.
    Teach
    If you don't have a C&R FFL,you really need to consider getting one----it's a license to spend money, though.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    I've become addicted to old lever guns!! So far two Marlins and a Savage 99 this year. The newest is 100 years old.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    I found a Marlin Model 1881 in .40-65 at my nearest LGS...part of a shirt-tail cousins collection he's selling off...asking price is 1500.00...I think I want it. It's had some restoration work done to it...but it was professionally done and doesn't detract from it's desirability.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    ...I think I want it.......:uhm::roll::popcorn:

when did you say pictures were coming again ?
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I found a Marlin Model 1881 in .40-65 at my nearest LGS...part of a shirt-tail cousins collection he's selling off...asking price is 1500.00...I think I want it. It's had some restoration work done to it...but it was professionally done and doesn't detract from it's desirability.

JBOHIO had his 1881 .45-70 at the shoot last year, and I fell in love with it. The results so far are an 1893 in .38-55 and an 1889 in .32-20. Both will be at the shoot.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    A 32-20 rifle a solution to my ammo problem....never found anything for those super X's yet

IMG_0461_zpsbb76b6b1.jpg
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I have two, a model 1894 in .44mag, and a model 39M, in .22lr, and I want more. My "I want" list include3s a 38-55 or .375, a .444 and a 45-70. I have a model 94 Winchester in .45 Colt, but would trade it for a Marlin, in the same caliber.....Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Weatherby wrote: »
    A 32-20 rifle a solution to my ammo problem....never found anything for those super X's yet

IMG_0461_zpsbb76b6b1.jpg

Awesome! I've got a rifle and no ammo, and you got ammo and no rifle!! I did have about twenty loose rounds of .32-20 I found in an abandoned shack about forty years ago. Who knows haw old the stuff is. I pulled a bullet and the powder is still good and the primer fired in the rifle. Got ammo coming but it won't be here 'til tomorrow, and I'll already be at Teach's.!!
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Tried to edit post to show pic, but somehow it started a new thread.... lemme see if I can figure this phone out.

Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Awesome! I've got a rifle and no ammo, and you got ammo and no rifle!! I did have about twenty loose rounds of .32-20 I found in an abandoned shack about forty years ago. Who knows haw old the stuff is. I pulled a bullet and the powder is still good and the primer fired in the rifle. Got ammo coming but it won't be here 'til tomorrow, and I'll already be at Teach's.!!

I can check Larrys and see if they have any and bring to the shoot if you want.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I can check Larrys and see if they have any and bring to the shoot if you want.

Don't go out of your way, but if you do stop there check for some. I'll just shoot up the box of old stuff, otherwise. Got three boxes coming tomorrow.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I would love a Savage 99. If I get a Marlin I want it in 30-30 or maybe a guide gun in 45-70. I have a Winchester 94. At this stage I don't want to start a big collection, but I have always wanted a Marlin to go with the Winchester. I'm not prejudice, I love em both. Both are great American guns. Although I would also love one of those yellow boy Henry 22s.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,892 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »

IMG_0461_zpsbb76b6b1.jpg

If any of that ever needs a new home:tooth::tooth: I know of a really nice Colt Police positive Special that would love to snuggle up with those boxes:love:

Sako
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I would love a Savage 99. If I get a Marlin I want it in 30-30 or maybe a guide gun in 45-70. I have a Winchester 94. At this stage I don't want to start a big collection, but I have always wanted a Marlin to go with the Winchester. I'm not prejudice, I love em both. Both are great American guns. Although I would also love one of those yellow boy Henry 22s.

You can't go wrong with either choice. I don't have a 30-30 yet, but my Marlin Guide gun (.45-70) is one of the older ported models, and it shoots under MOA with Hornady LeveRevolution 325 grain FTX ammo. Kick isn't bad... maybe just a tad more than my Ruger M77 in .308.

I've heard some of the Buffalo Bore stuff in 400+ grains can be a handful though.

This makes my 3rd Marlin Levergun with a short barrel. The 1895G in .45-70 with an 18" barrel, 1894P (.44mag) 16.25", and now the 1894S (.45 Colt) 16.25". They're just so HANDY!!! :love::love: Next I want one in .357. :-)

Luis
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with either choice. I don't have a 30-30 yet, but my Marlin Guide gun (.45-70) is one of the older ported models, and it shoots under MOA with Hornady LeveRevolution 325 grain FTX ammo. Kick isn't bad... maybe just a tad more than my Ruger M77 in .308.

I've heard some of the Buffalo Bore stuff in 400+ grains can be a handful though.

This makes my 3rd Marlin Levergun with a short barrel. The 1895G in .45-70 with an 18" barrel, 1894P (.44mag) 16.25", and now the 1894S (.45 Colt) 16.25". They're just so HANDY!!! :love::love: Next I want one in .357. :-)

Luis

I don't see how you could go wrong with either the Marlin or Winchester. My Winchester is in 30-30. It's only a 2 minute rifle but that's all I require of it. Even with Leverevolution bullets I still limit it to 150-200 yards and at this range it is fine being 2 MOA. I do love the sweet handling of the Winchester. It's light and is very manuverable, which is what a saddle gun is all about. However, I do know and realize the merrits of the Marlin and that's why I want at least one also.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Tried to edit post to show pic, but somehow it started a new thread.... lemme see if I can figure this phone out.
    That's a mighty fine rifle, Jeeper. I've been getting the itch for a new one myself and that pic isn't helping my budget - not even a little bit.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.