Home Main Category General Firearms

Those with experience, learn me on suppressors.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,535 Senior Member
So I'm going to send off the paperwork for a tax stamp on a suppressor, but which one?

I've read a lot of varied merits to thread-on and quick change mountings. I've decided on quick change for the following reasons:

1. One and done. I am getting one suppressor for all rifles (at this time). Identical QD mount for 5.56, 6.8 and 7.62 rifles and buy a 7.62 suppressor to use with them all.

2. No accidentally damaging threads or worrying about thread protectors.

3. Ease of swapping from gun to gun.

So, which brand? Please chime in if you have experience with Surefire, Gemtech, Silencerco, YHM or any others and their cleaning/maintenance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have experience with suppressor envy. That is all I've got.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I have 4 suppressors but only one is a QA style and it is a Liberty Torch QA. This suppressor is in 5.56 and works great. For your needs sounds like you want a .30 caliber can. For that I went with a Thunderbeast Arms 30-P1 which is a great suppressor but not QA.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    I've got three suppressors, two for .22s, one for a .30. i tried the .30 on a .22 and it didn't work well. Mine are Advanced Armanents and work extremely well. I don't think there is a "universal suppressor' so far as calibers go.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I would also recommend not going cheap, with all the cost and waiting buy something that is going to last. Stainless steel and titanium is the way to go.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I've got three suppressors, two for .22s, one for a .30. i tried the .30 on a .22 and it didn't work well. Mine are Advanced Armanents and work extremely well. I don't think there is a "universal suppressor' so far as calibers go.

    "Universal", no. But "generally feasible", I think so. I've read on several forums of people using .30cal cans on .223 rifles. Granted the performance is lessened thanks to more blow-by in the bullet channel, but I have more .30cal rifles and a 6.8mm to use it on and only one 5.56.

    And the 5.56 is my duty weapon. It'll wear the QD muzzle device, but only be suppressed for recreational shooting.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    I would also recommend not going cheap, with all the cost and waiting buy something that is going to last. Stainless steel and titanium is the way to go.

    I agree. I'm allotting $1000 to 1200 (less tax stamp) for this project.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,354 Senior Member
    you may want to do some homework.

    go to your local fun shop and ask what you have posted here.

    you probably won't find 1 for all can for all of the calibers you list. you can get a 223 can to work with a 22LR (you didnt ask but that may come up), but chances are, it won't be that great the other way around. as far as your 30 calibers, those will work. Im not sure about the dia for 6.8, but if my college has paid off, its a 6.8 mm is appro x 25 ish caliber. Im thinking that you may be able to use it on the 223.

    Note that i don't have any cans at this time, but i have been doing some homework.

    Also, you may want to look into cans that you can clean/disassemble or not.

    also, one last comment. From what i remember the can has to be at the store (more or less) since you will need the s/n of the can in order to fill out the paperwork.
    The ears never lie.

    - Don Burt
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    ilove22s wrote: »
    you may want to do some homework.

    go to your local fun shop and ask what you have posted here.

    you probably won't find 1 for all can for all of the calibers you list. you can get a 223 can to work with a 22LR (you didnt ask but that may come up), but chances are, it won't be that great the other way around. as far as your 30 calibers, those will work. Im not sure about the dia for 6.8, but if my college has paid off, its a 6.8 mm is appro x 25 ish caliber. Im thinking that you may be able to use it on the 223.

    Note that i don't have any cans at this time, but i have been doing some homework.

    Also, you may want to look into cans that you can clean/disassemble or not.

    also, one last comment. From what i remember the can has to be at the store (more or less) since you will need the s/n of the can in order to fill out the paperwork.

    I'm familiar with all the NFA paperwork/procedure.

    And I won't be using this for .22LR. I'd get a dedicated and suppressor for that and likely will down the road.



    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    For the .22, I use CCI Quiets. 40 gr, 750 fps from a 22 inch barrel sounds quieter than my .177 pellet gun and shoots like this at 25 yards...

    142_zpsa166cba6.jpg

    No suppressor needed. It's a lot louder from a revolver. I did not try it in my pistol, and I do not think it would work the action well.

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    I have two dedicated .22 rimfire silencers. A .30 caliber silencer won't generally work on a .22...for one thing, the thread is larger, and second, it just won't work. I think it needs to be pretty tight to contain the gasses. A .22 silencer is 1/2 x 28, and a .30 needs a 5/8 x something. The 1/2" thread on an AR flash suppressor will accept a .22 lr silencer, but there just ain't enough guts in one to do a lot of good with a .223.

    For my .30 Blackout, the manufacturer told me they don't really need cleaning except after a helluva lot of bullets downrange, and then you soak them in a solvent and blow them out with an airhose. I've never seen a silencer you could disassemble, the only ones I've seen were welded. I don't think a thin end or fore plate would have enough threads to withstand the pressure. Two of mine are Advanced Armaments which is a fairly local company that's VERY helpful. They work great.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    For the .22, I use CCI Quiets. 40 gr, 750 fps from a 22 inch barrel sounds quieter than my .177 pellet gun and shoots like this at 25 yards...

    142_zpsa166cba6.jpg

    No suppressor needed. It's a lot louder from a revolver. I did not try it in my pistol, and I do not think it would work the action well.

    D

    See you think like me with those.

    I use CCI .22 short in my Marlin 883 and Winchester 63A with the same results.

    Now I'd like to try those CCI Quiets so I could feed them through the 883 magazine.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I have two dedicated .22 rimfire silencers. A .30 caliber silencer won't generally work on a .22...for one thing, the thread is larger, and second, it just won't work. I think it needs to be pretty tight to contain the gasses. A .22 silencer is 1/2 x 28, and a .30 needs a 5/8 x something. The 1/2" thread on an AR flash suppressor will accept a .22 lr silencer, but there just ain't enough guts in one to do a lot of good with a .223.

    For my .30 Blackout, the manufacturer told me they don't really need cleaning except after a helluva lot of bullets downrange, and then you soak them in a solvent and blow them out with an airhose. I've never seen a silencer you could disassemble, the only ones I've seen were welded. I don't think a thin end or fore plate would have enough threads to withstand the pressure. Two of mine are Advanced Armaments which is a fairly local company that's VERY helpful. They work great.

    That's why I want a QD muzzle device.

    I already have a AAC 51T adapter brake on my FN PBR 7.62. I could just slap on 51T brakes on my 5.56 and 6.8 and all three could use the .30cal suppressor.

    But, I'm not sure about the life of the AAC ratcheting mechanism. I'm looking at Gemtech right now.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    It seems to me that you should be able to use a suppressor for .22 to .45 if you had a variable aperture at the muzzle. I have thought of a replaceable cap marked for .22, .30 9mm and .45.

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    For the .22, I use CCI Quiets. 40 gr, 750 fps from a 22 inch barrel sounds quieter than my .177 pellet gun and shoots like this at 25 yards...

    142_zpsa166cba6.jpg

    No suppressor needed. It's a lot louder from a revolver. I did not try it in my pistol, and I do not think it would work the action well.

    D

    I have to add that was with a peep sight, not scope.

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,048 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    It seems to me that you should be able to use a suppressor for .22 to .45 if you had a variable aperture at the muzzle. I have thought of a replaceable cap marked for .22, .30 9mm and .45.

    D

    I have to head back to school for a couple of days to re-qualify for my first aid certification.......but I will give you some more detailed info on the suppressors I have when I get time.

    The short story is that I have a modular suppressor that does have exchangeable end caps and will suit my 204, 222, 22-250 etc. I will be purchasing a second one soon that will take 7mm up to 30 cal just by adding extra modules and different end caps...............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I have to head back to school for a couple of days to re-qualify for my first aid certification.......but I will give you some more detailed info on the suppressors I have when I get time.

    The short story is that I have a modular suppressor that does have exchangeable end caps and will suit my 204, 222, 22-250 etc. I will be purchasing a second one soon that will take 7mm up to 30 cal just by adding extra modules and different end caps...............

    "Soon" for me is roundabout 6 months if I am lucky.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    For what you want I think this would be my choice with extra muzzle brakes for the 5.56 an 7.62

    http://www.silencershop.com/shop/thunder-beast-30ba/
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    Had this question come up by the campfire Sat. night, do all of the regulations for suppressors and SBR's apply as they do if you finish an 80% receiver and commence to building and buying the parts?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Had this question come up by the campfire Sat. night, do all of the regulations for suppressors and SBR's apply as they do if you finish an 80% receiver and commence to building and buying the parts?

    Yes.

    The origin of the complete firearm or suppressor is moot in the application of NFA regulations.

    They all apply, unfortunately.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Had this question come up by the campfire Sat. night, do all of the regulations for suppressors and SBR's apply as they do if you finish an 80% receiver and commence to building and buying the parts?

    Wait...do you mean turning an 80% receiver into a SBR or a regular non-NFA carbine?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I'm confused. Or you're confused. An 80% receiver can be finished with no mother may I stamp.
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Wait...do you mean turning an 80% receiver into a SBR or a regular non-NFA carbine?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk


    Yes, turn an 80% receiver into an SBR and/or adding a suppressor. Wait, what is the difference between an SBR and a non-NFA carbine?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You wouldn't turn an 80% receiver into an SBR. No point in it. An 80% receiver means....it's 80% complete, and needs additional machine work to be a "firearm".
    Besides technically, I'm not sure they would even allow a completed 80% lower to be registerd as an SBR. What I do kniw for a FACT is, the extra hassle and BS that would be involved in registering a completed 80% lower ain't worth the 25$ you would save over buying a complete lower.
    Yep... registering it as a SBR pretty well defeats the "purpose" of the 80% receivers in the first place.

    The main reason why, as I understand it, they're popular is that once "joe shooter" does the work to finish it, he has a 100% legal receiver with no paperwork. Choosing that for your SBR build just created the first paper trail for it and from then on "they" know of it and have its SN (which you'd have to put on it to be able to register it as an SBR)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Yep... registering it as a SBR pretty well defeats the "purpose" of the 80% receivers in the first place.

    The main reason why, as I understand it, they're popular is that once "joe shooter" does the work to finish it, he has a 100% legal receiver with no paperwork. Choosing that for your SBR build just created the first paper trail for it and from then on "they" know of it and have its SN (which you'd have to put on it to be able to register it as an SBR)

    It's a ghost gun!!! :tooth:

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You wouldn't turn an 80% receiver into an SBR. No point in it. An 80% receiver means....it's 80% complete, and needs additional machine work to be a "firearm".
    Besides technically, I'm not sure they would even allow a completed 80% lower to be registerd as an SBR. What I do kniw for a FACT is, the extra hassle and BS that would be involved in registering a completed 80% lower ain't worth the 25$ you would save over buying a complete lower.

    Sorry, I meant turning an 80% receiver into a 100% and then do you have to do the paperwork for SBR and/or a suppressor, I figured it was yes to the suppressor question because that is its own part "they" want registered, but I was not sure about the rest if you were building if for yourself and you only.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • AxxiumAxxium New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    AAC also has a 762 suppressor that connects onto a flash suppressor or muzzle break. (See the link below). There are lots of videos on that site as well as youtube. It will work on all the rifles you listed plus some. The price is pretty good right now, too. You don't want to use a non 22 caliber suppressor on a 22 rifle. It is too dirty and will eventually clog the suppressor with lead. FMJ ammo is cleanest and subsonic is best if you want to get the most out of your suppressor regarding quietness.

    http://www.silencershop.com/shop/aac-762sd/
  • gaimangaiman Banned Posts: 60 Member
    the endcap is very little of the issue. the issue is the size of the hole thru the baffles. The larger the hole (compared to the bullet diameter) the more hot gas (ie, noise) that will blow by the bullet. However, IF the can is oversize enough (ie, an EFFECTIVE can for 308) it will suppress a 223 just fine. That much bulk and weight is sort of a waste on the little gun, but if you're not using the 223 as a CQB weapon, that's not really an issue.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement