Home Main Category General Firearms

My next Creedmoor and long range cartridge

Ranch13Ranch13 Senior MemberPosts: 820 Senior Member
Have the barrel, size die and components ready. Now need the reamer's from the friend of mine that is having his rifle built, so I can get my rifle rebarreled.
44 2.4 st. 45-90 starline brass sized to 44 cal, both cases loaded with 80 grs of Goex Olde Eynsford 1.5, case on the left is a .435 diameter Brooks postel bullet 1.3 inches long , bullet on the right is Buffalo Arms Co .434470 1.35 inches long. Both bullets wrapped in 8 lb seth cole paper.
Oh the anquish of waiting for the rifle's
002_zps4b134555.jpg

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,822 Senior Member
    Looks like a lot of fun. Any chance you could do a video or pictorial demonstration of the paper patching process? I would love to try them in my 40-65 but have no idea how it's done.

Sako
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    There's a couple of video's on youtube, that aren't to bad on the patching process. I'll see if I can find the ones done by folks I know and post the link for you.
    The hardest part is getting the patches cut to the right height for the bullet, then training your fingers to roll those bullets in the paper. Then it becomes a matter of trial and error on the wad stack, wiping routine between shots in target matches..
    It is a lot more effort than shooting greasers, and not hard to figure out why it went obscolete.
    Here's Brent Danielson video, he's one of the major players in the bpcr paper patching realm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM23a_tbE-M
    Thank you for the link.

Sako
    Glad to do it.
    What make is your 40-65? A lot of folks are doing well with the .395 diameter slicks from Buffalo Arms.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    No belt....don't say Magnum..it will never catch on.............. what type of action are You going to use???.Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    Ranch13 wrote: »
    Glad to do it.
    What make is your 40-65? A lot of folks are doing well with the .395 diameter slicks from Buffalo Arms.

C. Sharps Arms model 1875
    DSC002203.jpg

Sako
    Those 75's are decent rifles. That's what I'm having rebarreled for this project. Had Oregon Barrel Co. make the barrel to the same contour but 32 inch length.
    Buttugly.jpg
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    Wow!....anxiously awaiting a range report....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition. :applause:
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    It'll be quite awhile until this project is in the shooting stage. I probably won't get the gun to the smith until I go for the Rocky Mtn regional in late August, and as the fella doing the work is also a national champion shooter, I seriously doubt he'll have time to set into this until after we all get home from the nationals at the Whittington in mid September. So I'm thinking it probably won't be until December or so at the earliest that I get to run the first rounds.
    But until then I'll have to learn from what my friend gets accomplished with his rifle that is being made by CPA , just waiting for Oregon Barrel to send them the barrel he spec'ld out. His barrel is stainless with a little heavier contour by .08 at the muzzle and he specified the twist at 16, my barrel is 16.5
    With this Eynsford powder I'm suspecting the velocity will be somewhere around 1325 with the 480 gr bullet and closer to 1350 with the 450. That should be fast enough in that twist to keep those bullets stable in the windsheer at 1000 yds.
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition. :applause:

Yeh that's half the fun :applause:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    Stop it, just stop it!! You're killing me.

That's just awesome, Oregon Gunsmithing is a great outfit!!
    This OBC barrel is really smooth inside. Once you get a slug started 3-4 inches it's easy to slide it right on out the other end with little pressure on the cleaning rod. I think it's going to be a shooter.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    Very cool. Keep us posted on the progress.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Will do, but this is starting to be about like ordering a Shiloh, the wait is a killer.