Home Main Category General Firearms

Sorting baskets of brass

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Trying to get my brass sorted after running it through the media tumbler. Some I already had clean and I'm running a new batch now. I keep telling myself I'm gonna separate it by caliber, but usually just dump it all together, but when 9mm gets stuck inside larger brass I have needle-nose pliers to pull it out. Sometimes I get 3 calibers of brass stuck together inside each other. Usually and only a few each run, though.

A few spins in the colander like basket dumps the media almost completely outta the clean brass in a bucket with a collar to fit the 2 piece basket.

Plus I had a couple coffee cans with mixed .38 spl and .357 I sorted. A little extra effor5t now pays many dividends for later when I start reloading it.

Just another phase of necessary chores in the reloading game, but I usually have to be in the right mood to do it. All part of the "Fun"! :guns::guns:

I don't shoot much 9mm, but I do shoot 9mm MAK or 9X18 and it's a pain to separate by head-stamp when it all gets mixed together.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I noticed at the shoot you throwing all your brass in the same bag. I do the same thing. It's no big deal to me. If I shot like Jerry Miculeck or something that would be a horse of a different color. They sell those range bags with dividers for the purpose of sorting your brass as soon as you dump it. Perhaps I'll get me one some day but I doubt it.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,654 Senior Member
    Have to ask. Having 2-3 sizes getting stuck inside each other, how well is each getting cleaned? Not to mention the extra work.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    With my two pdog .223's I shoot Rem brass in the Rem and Win brass in the Win. I used to toss the empties in the same can, but soon discovered that if you blow through 600+ rounds in a day, sorting by headstamp is a real pain. It's much easier to just toss them into different cans and run them thru the tumbler separately.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Michakav wrote: »
    Have to ask. Having 2-3 sizes getting stuck inside each other, how well is each getting cleaned? Not to mention the extra work.

Actually pretty clean and maybe a few cases that were stuck inside like 9mm not so good and a .357 inside a .45/.44 will have some of it darker and it looks two-tone. Not many do this from a whole basket full, though.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Linefinder wrote: »
    With my two pdog .223's I shoot Rem brass in the Rem and Win brass in the Win. I used to toss the empties in the same can, but soon discovered that if you blow through 600+ rounds in a day, sorting by headstamp is a real pain. It's much easier to just toss them into different cans and run them thru the tumbler separately.

Mike

Yep, a lesson we all learn the hard way, it's best to do it right the first time........doesn't always end up that way for me, though.
    I noticed at the shoot you throwing all your brass in the same bag. I do the same thing. It's no big deal to me. If I shot like Jerry Miculeck or something that would be a horse of a different color. They sell those range bags with dividers for the purpose of sorting your brass as soon as you dump it. Perhaps I'll get me one some day but I doubt it.

I know, my bag has several zipper pockets, one on each end and side, but I have them full of of other crap.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I know, my bag has several zipper pockets, one on each end and side, but I have them full of of other crap.

My bag has 3 compartments. One on each end and a larger central one. It's not always this organized but usually I'll have My eyes and ears on one end and my wife's on the other. The larger, middle compartment holds a gun specific tool, kit a rag and some spray lube for wiping things down til I can get home to clean things. And various odds and ends. I just dump my brass in there.
    Now, rifles are a different story. Except for my .22LR all mine are bolt guns so I just put the spent ones nose down in the box I brought them in.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    [QUOTE=Razorbacker
    Now, rifles are a different story. Except for my .22LR all mine are bolt guns so I just put the spent ones nose down in the box I brought them in.[/QUOTE]

It must be a matter of preference on whether to put reloads tip down or up in those plastic ammo boxes. I think there was a thread on here before about it.