Home Main Category General Firearms

Loading for the .45 Colt

RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior MemberPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
I know what my heavy hunting loads will be but if they will group in my .454 Casull Then I'm gonna use those in it and semi-retire my Bisley for snake charming, camping hiking, kit gun duties. So I need to order some bullets. I'm thinking of 250 grain hard cast with single digit grain loads of H 110 maybe 9 grains or so. Any better ideas?
Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    I'd try something like Trail Boss, Universal, or something other than H110. In one of my Hodgdon reloading manuals it says to reduce max loads in H110 by only 3%, else you can get pressure spikes and detonation.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,631 Senior Member
    265 hardcast
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Don't single digit load the 45 colt with h110,, you probably won't like the results.
    You can single digit reload it with Unigue, 9 grs under a 250-260 gr bullet is an ancient standby load.
    12 grs of bludot is also a very good load with the 250-260 gr bullets.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,754 Senior Member
    Second the 9 grains of Unigue or a Trail Boss load. Trail boss has been easier to find than Unique. I use Trail Boss in the reduced loads for my .38-55 and .45-70.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Thanks for the input gentlemen. As usual when I ask a question here, this is gonna cost me money. I've never loaded for the .45 except for max hunting loads. I started out with H110 then switched to 2400. I couldn't remember why I did that. but now with you guys chiming in I went and looked at my older Speer manual. 2400 is there for lighter loads but not H110. It's only there for the heavy ones.
    Same thing for .44spl loads I want for my 29.
    Reckon I'm on the hunt for pistol powder again.
    But at least I can still order bullets.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Treat it like a big ACP. A lot of powders commonly used for 230 grain hardball will get those 250-255's moving at a nice, comfy 850-ish feet per second with charges slightly larger.

And that's all you ought to need. I just put a 243 grain Keith SWC 1911 load through the milk jug test today at a chrono'd 840fps. Six jugs probably would have stopped it. Unfortunately, all I had was five.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Treat it like a big ACP. A lot of powders commonly used for 230 grain hardball will get those 250-255's moving at a nice, comfy 850-ish feet per second with charges slightly larger.

And that's all you ought to need. I just put a 243 grain Keith SWC 1911 load through the milk jug test today at a chrono'd 840fps. Six jugs probably would have stopped it. Unfortunately, all I had was five.

Thanks I will look up those published loads and ad those powders to my list of unobtainiums around here.
    231 is a good powder in the long colt.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I'd try something like Trail Boss, Universal, or something other than H110. In one of my Hodgdon reloading manuals it says to reduce max loads in H110 by only 3%, else you can get pressure spikes and detonation.

And the odd thing about this is Winchester 296 is the exact same powder and there are no such warnings about reducing the loads when using 296?????? Go figure.

From here and MANY other sources, I've read this. But still fer some reason when using H110, I follow the 3% rule!

thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-186089.html
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Winchester had the don't reduce these loads,hard crimp and magnum primers for 296, back when they turned out their own loading pamphlets.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    FWIW . . . I load the 45 Colt a lot. I have found that with light to moderate loads (700-850 FPS) any powder that is appropriate for the 38 Special woks well in the 45.

The powders I regularly use in both are as follows:

PB, 231, Unique, Trail Boss, SR4756, Universal, Titegroup, Bullseye, HP38 (same as 231), Solo 1000 and 700X.

All of these powders work fine although I find PB to be the less accurate of the bunch. I load only 255 grain SOFT bullets.