This weekend

Grizz1219Grizz1219 MemberPosts: 424 Member
I start getting ready for my African hunt this August... Start shooting the 338 every weekend... getting it so it is a part of me.. Stretching it out to shoot over 200 yards so I'm ready.... I love the prep work almost as much as the hunt itself!!! Anyone else getting a gun ready for a hunt???

Replies

• Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Yeah.. with the 30-06 barrel on it I am VERY confident out past 300 yards... Just haven't shot the 338 Win Mag barrel a lot, so I want to get to know it..
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,526 Senior Member
    I usually shoot my hunting rifles 2-4 a year, check zero from the bench and 2-3 shots offhand, & 2-3shots sitting, mostly @ 100yds some @200yds. I'm in the process of working up a new load for my .358Win. Nothing wrong with the old load, just think I can squeeze another 100fps out of it.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    cpj wrote: »
    This strange distance you speak of, 300 yards. What is that? :tooth:

My longest shot where I hunt MAY be 100 yards.

Africa has long shots... Last time I was there the closet shot I had was 130 yards... Longest was 309..
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    Grizz1219 wrote: »
    Africa has long sho.. Last time I was there the closet shot I had was 130 yards... Longest was 309..

Yeah, but 300 yards is still very reasonable and doable with a 30-06 or anything in its class. And a good load in a .338 is really at home in that distance range. I can count on one hand all the deer and hogs I've shot out past 300 yards though. I'm a hunter not a Camp Perry Shooter. But i feel good with my 30-06 shooting around 300 yards. It's all a matter of where I hunt. Most shots are well inside 300 yards and actually inside 100 to be honest. However, where I hunt the longer shots do present themselves now and then so I have to be ready.

Bye the way, it doesn't hurt to get ready early, especially for something as important as an African hunt. Sounds like you've done your homework and you will do fine. I hope you kill everything you want. Good luck.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Got 7 animals on the hit list... Kudu, Red Hartebeest, Blue & Black wildebeest, Bushbuck, impala and warthog... The wife is taking the Red Hartebeest, impala and warthog... I've got the other 4... She's bringing a 25-06, I'll probably grab that for the Bushbuck..
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    Scott, hope you have a terrific trip and hunt!!!!!! Be safe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    I'm chomping at the bit.... LOL..

Hoping for another hunt like the first... All the animals were taken.. but it came down to my last afternoon hunt to get my Gemsbok...
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Grizz1219 wrote: »
    I'm chomping at the bit.... LOL..

Hoping for another hunt like the first... All the animals were taken.. but it came down to my last afternoon hunt to get my Gemsbok...

I remember your write up. Looking forward to another.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers