Home Main Category Clubhouse

Teach hurt in motorcycle wreck this AM

Replies

• MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Hope you heal up quick, Teach. Sounds like you're in good hands, now.

Jermanator wrote: »
    Good thing you used your ribs and ankle to cushion them! That was quick thinking.

Hospital-- They control when you eat (and what you eat), when you poop, pee, sleep, and every other aspect of your life. Us independent types do not take to that environment very well. Feelings of self worth and dignity deteriorate fast. It is best to get the hell out of there as soon as you can.

That's the thing about hospitals.....when you come in, take your dignity and privacy off with your jacket and hang them up on a peg beside the door. Leave them there the whole time you're in the hospital, and put them back on when you leave.....
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    Good to see you posting Mr. Jerry! Praying everything turns out great for you and Miss Mary!!
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Now that the ankle and ribs are sorted out for the moment, how do the shoulders, neck, and back feel?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    My left shoulder is very sore- - - - -lots of big bruises, but there's virtually no "rib" pain! Even when I cough, the classic shooting pain that is normally associated with rib injury simply isn't there. Not griping, mind you- - - - -I'd just as soon be pain-free if possible!

Now I'm getting impatient for the next procedure to get under way!
    Jerry
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    My left shoulder is very sore- - - - -lots of big bruises, but there's virtually no "rib" pain! Even when I cough, the classic shooting pain that is normally associated with rib injury simply isn't there. Not griping, mind you- - - - -I'd just as soon be pain-free if possible!

Jerry

Be VERY careful, it is not hard to flare those up, I am happy to hear you can breath and cough without any sharpness, BT-DT.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Adding to the list of "things to not do" is an "expert" in the field, my stepson, who's now in his 50s and should have learned better by now. But he keeps on keepin' on..

He's a manager at Lowe's and last week they were helping a guy who'd bought a riding mower. So my boy fires up the mower and tries to load it in the guy's pickup, steering it up a ramp into the bed. But, true to form, he got to the top and the ramp let go (or something) and both he and the mower went tumbling into the loading pit below.

Luckily, the mower landed on top of him so the mower wasn't too damaged. Truthfully he was just banged up and bruised, no busted bones, so he's doing fine.

But this is just one chapter in his long life of accidental stuff -- many of us have gone thru similar but he's a bit of a "pro" at these things. When he was a kid he'd always be the one crashing thru a fence or window, hell on wheels on his bicycle, then older, on a motorbike, crashed 4-5 separate times, breaking various bones. No to mention when he owned a car.

He and I talked yesterday, laughing about it. I reminded him that when he was a teenager (his brother as well), his mother and I had a regular "going to the ER" routine down pat, and that the local ER would soon open a special customized wing just for the brothers.
    My left shoulder is very sore- - - - -lots of big bruises, but there's virtually no "rib" pain!
    Jerry

Keep us updated, pal, we're pulling for you & Miss Mary.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,359 Senior Member
    Glad to see you on the mend, Teach.

And be careful on them motorcycles.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    I happy this looking a lot better this quickly. When Miss Mary told us the extent of damage, I was a little worried.

I know its hard...But enjoy the downtime. Get ya Netflix account and eat up the hosptial's Wifi on whatever you fancy.

Or better yet, pick a liberal forum a day to troll....
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,718 Senior Member
    Teach good to see you posting and that you are doing better.
    Prayers still being said for you and miss Mary from us up in Skagway, I have the best internet since we started our cruse.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,318 Senior Member
    Good to see you back, Teach!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 740 Senior Member
    Jerry is now out of the hospital and in the rehab facility in Fayetteville until his surgery. He is adjusting to his new surroundings ok, just getting used to their routines. Supposed to be stormy tonight here, so hopefully he'll get some rest. :zzzz:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Miss Mary wrote: »
    Jerry is now out of the hospital and in the rehab facility in Fayetteville until his surgery. He is adjusting to his new surroundings ok, just getting used to their routines. Supposed to be stormy tonight here, so hopefully he'll get some rest. :zzzz:

Rest is good. Being close to home is better for both of you. Take care. :angel2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Rest is good. Being close to home is better for both of you. Take care. :angel2:

Ditto and please keep us posted.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Heal up fast, brotherman!
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,171 Senior Member
    Miss Mary wrote: »

Excellent news Mary. Having him that close makes it a lot easier on you both.............and means its easier for you to check that he is following Doctors orders........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey, he is getting closer to being fixed and closer to home to boot. How long do they expect he will have to stay in the rehab facility?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    The next surgery is scheduled for June 11th. then back to rehab for some time for some recovery and physical therapy. Back home? Not sure- - - - -it depends on how well I recover, and if they assign me a real drill sergeant therapist, I guess! Thanks for your continued concern and support, everyone!
    Jerry
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    You up for visitors? If so, PM me the hours and name if the place.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    The next surgery is scheduled for June 11th. then back to rehab for some time for some recovery and physical therapy. Back home? Not sure- - - - -it depends on how well I recover, and if they assign me a real drill sergeant therapist, I guess! Thanks for your continued concern and support, everyone!
    Jerry

Your post got me to thinking, and here is a portion of my new novel that describes a very similar situation as yours -- my protagonist Mitch King has been seriously wounded in an ambush that killed his good friend Kate:

I was in and out of it for more than three weeks. They saved my left arm but I’d need two or three refits, stainless implants, plus more surgeries to make everything whole. Even then they said I might never regain full use and would perhaps need more work in the future. My left eardrum was damaged as well, but they felt I’d regain most of my hearing there. If only there were procedures for repairing the soul.

Meierhoff and Duggan were constant visitors. One of the ICU nurses told me that Meierhoff had sat holding my uninjured hand for hours at a time, talking quietly to me, assuring me I’d be fine. Of that I remembered nothing.

Apparently a priest from my church came by twice, as well as Tony Vee, Cheryl Stern, a few other visitors, all of these appearances foggy and insubstantial, dreamlike.

Eventually things cleared and I was taken off the critical list but they kept me in ICU. Pain was still digging deep into my left shoulder and I went from a fast rehab to a second surgery and back to the intense pain and more rehab to follow. Their intent was to get all the surgery completed as quickly as possible, before my bones and tissues healed wrongly, and they had the best for me in mind, but it was still hell on wheels. Sometimes even morphine wouldn’t be enough and I’d just lie there, hooked up to monitors and drains and drips, seething in pain despite maxing out on the good stuff.

All the surgery and painful rehab and the drugs they pumped into me prevented me from thinking straight, a regrettable byproduct of trauma care. But through it all, one thing still remained in my rat-infested brain, one thought preeminent. That my beloved Kathryn Morley was dead, and that she was dead on my watch.

A month later I finally got through all the surgeries, they moved me to a small urgent care ward just off the ER, and I was put on the list where that annoying little smiley face poster would indicate a four, meaning I’d live but not especially relish that fact for the next few weeks.

Nights were the worst. I kept reliving the shooting and dreaming that we’d escaped, were driving happily and sedately on an endless street named Montrose Boulevard, no stopping the glory road, no pain, no death, just carelessly puttering along a street with no other cars and no annoying traffic signals to even slow us down. Then I’d wake up crying, reaching out for Kate, pulling at my surgical tape and drains, and it would start all over again.

Eventually they transferred me to a private room and left me pretty much alone. I still had the physical therapist torturing me twice a day but I actually began to look forward to her stern and unflinching style. It was of course intentional, as she wanted her patients to fear her as much as Nurse Ratched and therefore work hard enough that she’d maybe never come back. Still, I was getting better. I regained all the feeling except for some oddly numb areas just under the bicep and over my shoulder blade. And I worked my way toward seventy percent mobility.
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 538 Senior Member
    Good to hear you are making good progress, hope a full recovery comes quickly for you. It takes a lot to keep us Tennessee hillbillies down! Take care, I learned several years ago that I don't bounce like I did when I was twenty!
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    You up for visitors?

It's the Donalson Care Center, 1681 Winchester Highway (US Highway 64 East) in Fayetteville TN, Room 48. PM sent!
    Jerry
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,564 Senior Member
    If I/we come up this weekend, anything you need?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

How about a new left ankle? I'm pretty well provided for, but thanks for the offer!
    Jerry
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,564 Senior Member
    How about a new left ankle? I'm pretty well provided for, but thanks for the offer!
    Jerry
    "The boss" get the AC taken care of?
    We have a couple of spare window ACs y'all can have and 2 110v 15,000 BTU free standing portable ACs with vent hoses that run out the window y'all can borrow for as long as you need them.

Be glad to bring any/all of them up if y'all can use them.

edited to add: Never mind, just got off the phone with the "boss" and know y'all got the AC situation fixed
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    "The boss" get the AC taken care of?

Yep! We've got two brand new heat pumps now, courtesy of SIL Steve's buddy who does HVAC work as a sideline. Hopefully the next time one fails, it will be somebody else's problem since the ones they removed were 15+ years old! He also managed to cut the Home Depot estimate by over half! Thanks for the offer, though!
    Jerry
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 740 Senior Member
    For the continuing saga of Mr. Jerry and his injuries. His Doctor came in this morning and told him he has a shoulder separation on the left side....AND he has a L-3 vertebrae fracture. He broke the spinal process off that vertebrae....so the list now includes, 5 broken ribs, broken fibula, broken ankle, separated shoulder and a fractured vertebrae.

His road rash is beginning to look mildly better, his bruising is every shade of the rainbow.. including some very unusual ranges of purple....his attitude about it all was summed up nicely today when he said "I'm getting really tired of this"....I sang him a verse "We've only just begun..." he pulled a Queen Victoria on me...."We are not amused".....(I think he fractured his sense of humor too!) :uhm:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,106 Senior Member
    Oh Goddess Mother! What worries me is that vertebrae - it sounds like he missed a REAL catastrophe by "this much"! It could have been worse - much worse. Here's to his rapid recovery!! :beer:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
    Yikes! Hope you have a speedy recovery Teach. When I got hurt bad back in 94 I spent a long time recovering in hospital and rehab so I truly hope you don't have too many aggrevating days.
    I don't have much doubt all the problems were known to the docs- - - - -they just didn't share many of the details with us at the time of their initial intervention on the main injury. The leg surgery was, and is the pressing problem at the moment. There's a pretty narrow window of time for getting everything jacked back into place while the ankle bones are still only semi-healed. If they start to knit in the wrong position, they must be re-broken and realigned. That's not a fun prospect! Fortunately, keeping my foot and leg elevated on a stack of pillows virtually constantly has allowed the swelling to go down a lot, which is what the slice and dice guys say is required before they can complete the job. A couple more days should detrermine if the next surgery goes on as planned. Hope so!

Now, if I could only sneak my reloading press and some powder, bullets, and dies into this rehab place, maybe I could convince them it's "physical therapy" to crank out a few hundred rounds of ammo!
    :tooth:
    Jerry