Politics are weird

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,281 Senior Member
Sams post got me thinking, who comes up with some of the rules for local elections. Here in Alabama, as in some other states, you can vote in whichever parties primary you want to. I was listening to the radio and they were discussing a poll asking what parties primary were you going to vote in. 25% of dems said they were going to vote in the repub primary to try and make the weakest candidate the nominee. Now this ain't new, happens all the time and they know it. Why don't they just change the rules so we get a better and fairer election? If the independants want a voice, then register, it ain't hard.

What stupid local rules do you have in your states?
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,108 Senior Member
    Rush Limbaugh advocated Republicans do the same thing: see "Operation Chaos."

In FL primaries are open IF it will determine the final candidate (i.e. Republicans run with no declared Democrat opponent.) If there is someone who declares they will run as a right-in candidate against the primary winner, then the primary is closed. Oddly the person who will run as a write-in is usually of the same party as the one that would have the otherwise open primary: no Republican candidates in the primary, it's down to the Democrats and should be an open primary, but a Democrat declares they will run as a write-in independent. And both parties do that.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    We only get to vote in the registered party primary
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    We have open primaries here. It was reported that some Dems crossed over intent on shenanigans, but if they did it didn;t work.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,605 Senior Member
    It would be best if we could just do away with "parties" altogether. It won't happen of course, but they're at the heart of the problem.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Being registered Independent in TN (because there is no check box for Anarchist Party; we're unorganized anyway) I can vote in either party primary, Democrat or Republican. I have to check which party primary I wish to vote in at time of check-in at the voting place. Rules for county, state, and federal offices primaries follow the same rule about the party check box. The voting machine is then set for that party's candidates. Independent/third party candidates appear on both donkey and elephant primary ballots.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.