NFA fees...

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,100 Senior Member
I know it's a "tax", technically, but it frustrates the hell out of me.

If it must exist, less Pelosi have a coronary, why not amend it to $20? Just venting I guess, but a 6 to 9 month wait for a purely procedural issuance of a tax stamp is ridiculous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,730 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I know it's a "tax", technically, but it frustrates the hell out of me.

    If it must exist, less Pelosi have a coronary, why not amend it to $20? Just venting I guess, but a 6 to 9 month wait for a purely procedural issuance of a tax stamp is ridiculous.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

    Should be just like a firearms purchase. Fill out the Form 4473, pass the background check, and walk out with the suppressor, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or whatever else you wish to purchase. The current system was idiotic at its inception.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,100 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Should be just like a firearms purchase. Fill out the Form 4473, pass the background check, and walk out with the suppressor, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or whatever else you wish to purchase. The current system was idiotic at its inception.

    Agreed.

    Even outlandish at its inception. $200 back 75 years ago was a brutal amount of money for 90% of the population.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Agreed.

    Even outlandish at its inception. $200 back 75 years ago was a brutal amount of money for 90% of the population.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    And THAT was the idea: make it legal, but so expensive no one could afford it.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,730 Senior Member
    And THAT was the idea: make it legal, but so expensive no one could afford it.

    Yeah. $200 back then could easily be the equivalent of $20,000 or more now. 50 cents an hour back then was not an uncommon wage.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,658 Senior Member
    And THAT was the idea: make it legal, but so expensive no one could afford it.
    tennmike wrote: »
    Yeah. $200 back then could easily be the equivalent of $20,000 or more now. 50 cents an hour back then was not an uncommon wage.
    Yep
    Honestly, I'm a little surprised that they haven't adjusted it up "due to inflation" to $10-20 THOUSAND per stamp
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,730 Senior Member
    I've said it more than once on the forum, and I'll say it again.

    The power to tax and regulate is the power to destroy.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I've said it more than once on the forum, and I'll say it again.

    The power to tax and regulate is the power to destroy.

    Agreed! There needs to be some sort of cap to taxation. Say.... all combined taxation cannot exceed 15% of our income.

    Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,100 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Agreed! There needs to be some sort of cap to taxation. Say.... all combined taxation cannot exceed 15% of our income.

    Luis

    15%...

    75/25 Tax Permission:

    75% of your income is taxed at 15%. 7.5% to the State you reside and 7.5% to the Feds. The remaining 25% is NON taxed income.

    Opting out of SS is an option.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Yep
    Honestly, I'm a little surprised that they haven't adjusted it up "due to inflation" to $10-20 THOUSAND per stamp

    In a way they did, with the ban on civilian ownership of new manufactured (1996?) full automatic firearms and an M-16 costing from $18,000 - $20,000, kind of a defacto tax, when you have to pay that much more for something that should not cost much more than a normal AR-15.

    Anyway, the system that was set in place in 1939 is obsolete with the instant check system, they can process records much quicker now, also, if they insist, it should be like a C&R license, and they can call in the license number to see if it is still valid.
    It is all obsolete anyway, all those gun control regulations from 1939, 1968, 1996, need to be updated to a single category available to all law abiding citizens as well as Nationwide CCW.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,942 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Just venting I guess, but the very existence of the NFA is ridiculous.

    FIFY
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    All this garbage started before criminal records were centralized into a National database and the instant check data base, now you should be able to buy firearms in any State and there should be no distinction between handguns and long guns or barrel lengths on any firearm, or if pistols have shoulder stocks etc.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,255 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    50 cents an hour back then was not an uncommon wage.

    My grandparents paid day laborers $4.00 to unload a gondola car of coal in the late 1930's, which was a good 12 hours' work for somebody who didn't take too many breaks. WPA paid $2.00 a day, and they had problems hiring laborers who would rather make half as much money and not have to do much. Some people are lazy even when they're hungry!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.