Home Main Category General Firearms

The new .243 is put together

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,973 Senior Member
Savage 16, DNZ medium height one piece base and rings, Redfield Revenge 4x12x42.

039D9F30-3226-46EE-9B02-0875CCC153A9_zpsqjjm5pjj.jpg

7713E8B3-E094-4D70-9113-E6544029D24D_zpsoshit09d.jpg

d1b262a6-2456-4d8d-8e4d-91923c0383a7_zps4c0ec525.jpg

Range report in the somewhat distant future...

It is utilitarian, accu-trigger, free floated barrel / accu-stock, neoprene sling and stainless, about 8 lbs unloaded.

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,119 Senior Member
    Now that's a build right up my alley. Utilitarian, not insanely pricey, built on a proven performer in the Savage 16. Well done!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,752 Senior Member
    Nicely done!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    looks like you probably could have gone with the low mounts like you originally wanted, but still that set up is lookin good!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Savage 16, DNZ medium height one piece base and rings, Redfield Revenge 4x12x42.

039D9F30-3226-46EE-9B02-0875CCC153A9_zpsqjjm5pjj.jpg

7713E8B3-E094-4D70-9113-E6544029D24D_zpsoshit09d.jpg

d1b262a6-2456-4d8d-8e4d-91923c0383a7_zps4c0ec525.jpg

Range report in the somewhat distant future...

It is utilitarian, accu-trigger, free floated barrel / accu-stock, neoprene sling and stainless, about 8 lbs unloaded.

D

Nice set up. I have two of the Revolution 4-12s. I got my wife a Remington 700 ADL Synthetic in .243. It's a tac driver. I think you will like the bug size groups this one should shoot.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey, I wonder if a .243 will shoot through that economy size bucket of kitty litter you got there? :jester:

Nice looking rig. What does the Accu-stock do a regular one doesn't on a Savage. Looking forward to your range report.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    The Accu-stock is free floated and stiffer than the regular stock and in an American Rifleman test shrank groups:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/wp-content/uploads/Webcontent/pdf/2009-6/2009623134444-savageaccustock.pdf

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    Accu-stock also has an added adjustment to allow you to lock in the recoil lug.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    I like the accu stock. It provides even more potential to an already accurate system. Now work you up a good load and go shoot you some very small groups.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    Hmmmmm. Wonder how that mount compares in weight to standard two piece bases and rings? I'm interested in it for a future project.

It's lightweight because it is aluminum, and stiff because of its construction. Also no need to lap the rings as it is nearly perfectly in alignment. I mount the base, level the rifle, level the scope so it is level with the rifle, tighten the top to 25 inch lbs and I am done. I think it is about 4 oz but I did not weigh the DNZ.

D
    looks like you probably could have gone with the low mounts like you originally wanted, but still that set up is lookin good!

The Butler Creek caps I ordered are too small. Once I get the right set they will likely require the bit of clearance I have. Plus for my big noggin, the extra height of the medium mount is a little more comfortable than the low mounts I have on my 30-06's.

I am anxious to put some ammo through it and get some groups.

D
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Good for you.:up:
    Awaiting the range report
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    Great cartridge!

;-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Now that's a build right up my alley. Utilitarian, not insanely pricey, built on a proven performer in the Savage 16. Well done!

I keep revisiting the pictures and I like it too. Our collection stops at 7mm on the low end. May have to look into a 6 or 6.5 at some point.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Nice looking rig, ya did good.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That looks good Dan. You will like the 12x scope at the range and 4x is low enough to hunt in the thick stuff with.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13