Funeral Music...

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 15,075 Senior Member
You ever contemplate the music you want played at your funeral?...This one is definitely on the play;list for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNuCbQcZe5w
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,607 Senior Member
    "Another one Bites the Dust"...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    When I'm maggot food they can pee and crap on my grave and play rap for all I care. It's not like I'm gonna be standin around drinkin beer and doin the two step or anything. Dead is dead. Always thought funerals were a silly affair of sorts when supposed friends and family gather around to say stupid things to a dead corpse ...and then magically become an invisible man and live in the sky- lol. When the reaper calls on me just dump my stinkin carcass at the body farm and let the bugs have the last laugh.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,075 Senior Member
    The question remains...did you listen to the song?
    Yes.

Not a cowboy, but if I were, it might be nice enough.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    That was for the kayaker,,,not the belly dancer....
    Jayhawker wrote: »

Of couse! Why do you think I wrote such a loving epitaph.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member

Yeah, but that kinda music is not my bag for burying. However, Like Kayaker said, it ain't like I'm gonna be drinking beer or dancing, so they can play Sweet Adeline for all I care, :silly::roll2::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    That was for the kayaker,,,not the belly dancer....

SA-LAMMMM! Ouch! lol!!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,868 Senior Member
    You ever contemplate the music you want played at your funeral?
    Yes, I do. AAMOF, I have a CD in the "Just in case" envelope in the fireproof box inside our safe.

Some of it is rather irreverent. I want folks to smile and laugh remembering my life.

Go to the 6:14 mark in this one to here one of my selections. Appropriately enough, it's entitled "Funeral" by Mac McAnally
    http://youtu.be/_lxhzf-YxeM?t=6m14s
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I reckon folks are just dying to get to their funerals :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    My personal hero and brother Jon who passed away on Christmas eve a couple of years ago knew after his first liver transplant went poorly (caused by Chrones Disease) that the chances of a second one were not great so being the man he was he took it upon himself to plan his own funeral service to save his wife and children from the pain. He asked my wife and I to sing Carrie Underwood's Jesus Take the Wheel. He told us that in his darkest times when he felt the absolute worst and basically asked God to end the pain and just take him home this song pulled him through. Some day when I face my own end I hope I can be half the man he was.

The video he emailed me so I could learn the song on the guitar:
    Song starts around 2:35

Vince Gill and Carrie Underwood ACM Awards

If you keep watching the video (and I recommend you do) after that song Carrie sings How Great Thou Are which was the song he asked his daughter to sing. I had to play the guitar/sing on both and I have NO clue how I made it through both. Now I have to go, the screen is just too blurry...

A friend of mine did the same thing with her funeral. She planned it all; choosing who would speak, who would sing what songs, the whole nine yards. She had another friend of ours, who is actually my manager, sing "I Can Only Imagine," by Mercy Me. He spent a long time in his office listening to the song, trying to make it a little less emotional for him, so he would be able to make it through the whole thing.
    Sorry guys....this thread was meant to be a light-hearted thing involving a funny song... Kinda like "How are you today?" "Better, since I gave up hope..." .swing and a miss I guess.. Have a better day.....
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    My No.2 son played piano and sang this at his grandads service, how, I do not know.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Sorry guys....this thread was meant to be a light-heated thing involving a funny song... Kinda like "How are you today?" "Better, since I gave up hope..." .swing and a miss I guess.. Have a better day.....

Most threads kinda take on a life of their own, huh? You never know what SQUIRREL!!!!!!!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,868 Senior Member
    Sorry guys....this thread was meant to be a light-heated thing involving a funny song... Kinda like "How are you today?" "Better, since I gave up hope..." .swing and a miss I guess.. Have a better day.....
    If you look/listen to the video I linked, Naaaa, wasn't a swing and a miss :nono:

:tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

SA-LAMMMM! Ouch! lol!!

Bu-bump, crash! :tooth:

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member

What you expect from a bunch of stiffs? :rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    What you expect from a bunch of stiffs? :rotflmao:

Ha!Ha!Ha!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Already go it set out, written and in the "final wishes" file:

Bach Fugue in G Major (The Jig) BWV 577 -- absolutely a jumpin' tune! **
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ncVblmduSQ

Easter Hymn "The Strife is O'er"
    Easter Hymn "Welcome Happy Morning"
    Hymn "Amazing Grace"

** My sister always had a fanciful story, said that if "they" could make a microphone that would fit inside an atom, and if they lowered it down into the atom and switched it on, out would come a Bach fugue.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    My wife has instructions, which include this playlist:

"Drift Away" by Dobie Gray
    "You Can't Judge a Book by Its Cover" by Hank Williams, Jr.
    "The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me" by Gladys Knight & the Pips
    "Candle In the Wind" by Elton John
    "The River" by Garth Brooks
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    When I die they can play what ever they choose cause I ain't gonna be there! :tooth: When I'm ready I just hope the guy up stairs gives a little warning because there is going to be a heck of a big cloud of dust as I slide by the crowd hollerin "Hold my beer and watch this"! :rotflmao:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
    When I'm maggot food etc etc.

Well, hmmm... two things come to mind. First, on a rather serious note, most Christians and other believers would have a departure / goodbye ceremony. Second, funerals aren't for the dead guy but provide a bit of closure for the family and friends.

And they aren't supposed to be dreary -- that's pagan, with no afterlife. "Believers" of various segments really need a happy and celebratory sendoff. Church where I go (Episcopal) specifically says that the burial service is an Easter ritual, one of joy in the passing and at the same time solemnity that we miss the person.

My Dad stipulated NO CRYING at his funeral, instead a celebration. All his old business and government pals came (Dad had many LEO and First Responder friends) and the reception was full of jokes ("remember when Sam did this?" type of stuff).

Me, I want a short church byebye then I've stipulated that everyone gather at the Alabama Icehouse and Rudyard's Brit Pub for the REAL party.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    bhl2506 wrote: »
    When I die they can play what ever they choose cause I ain't gonna be there! :tooth: When I'm ready I just hope the guy up stairs gives a little warning because there is going to be a heck of a big cloud of dust as I slide by the crowd hollerin "Hold my beer and watch this"! :rotflmao:

That's exactly how I feel, bh! When I get there I'm gonna order the fastest, sleekest roadrace sport bike they've got in inventory. It's gotta be guaranteed to go 100mph in 3rd gear!

Ha! Trying to control thread drift in this forum is like herding cats. Ain't gonna happen.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have thought about it some but don't have anything written down.

The family picked an instrumental version of Streets Of Laredo to play at my friends funeral. That was really cool.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Be careful about the music or the people who play it. A good pal of mine died a few years ago, he was a musician and had several friends play & sing (mostly guitar, folk music) at his memorial service, people he'd already asked to do this before he died.

But there was this woman, she'd had a huge crush on the guy for ages, he and his wife knew of it, paid no attention. But at the funeral "wake" she shows up with her guitar, drunk, and proceeds to, er, "sing" a song she'd written to commemorate him, but it was this goofy and punchy love ballad, which of course she butchered. It was awful but the widow let her do it anyway, knowing that the gal would end up being the worse for it. Nevertheless all of us were chagrined and embarrassed. Whew!

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    After spending most of my life in the fire service just have bagpipes play amazing grace and toss my ashes into the wind.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • dlkdlk Member Posts: 419 Member
    STEALTH COMPETENT

I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't look like it.
  • 10 AC10 AC Member Posts: 309 Member
    I have told my wife several times that I don't really care what they do with me after I pass, as I won't be here or feel a thing. Don't waste alot of money on it. As far as I am concerned they could jusy bury me in the yard over by the dogs. Now Kayaker has an idea there, the body farm.
    But as for music, I've always said.
    Knockin on Heavens Door: by Bob Dylan
    The Dance: by Garth Brooks

As for the song you posted, I liked it.
    Teach
    If you don't have a C&R FFL,you really need to consider getting one----it's a license to spend money, though.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov