any truth to these rumors?

gunwalkergunwalker MemberPosts: 470 Member
while on a visit to Colorado, I was in a conversation with a resident who firmly believes that the following allegations are fact. One, there will be a catastrophic financial failure within the next two years. The dollar will be dumped as the world trading currency, our currency will be devalued even further, and worst, our government will default on obligations. The result will be a societal breakdown,the so called civil war 11. Two, The feds are preparing for this event by,as we have seen having many departments by large amounts of guns and ammo. Third, the feds are establishing regional detention centers much like the ones used for Japanese americans. The 4th allegation comes from an alleged statement from a Texas police officer who stopped a semi for inspection and found a cargo of martial Law signs.
I do see a financial crisis on the horizon. The rest I cannot verify. Anyone have any verifiable data, or has the rumor mill run amuck? i find it hard to believe that something of this magnitude could be kept secret.
We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    It's mostly urban legend.

However, it is always prudent to be prepared.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    A financial crisis is not all that far outside the relm of possibility or even likelihood, frankly we just had one a few years back and few of the causes have truly been fixed. That said, the sort of rapid collapse of civil order seems far less likely. Society is far more resilient than people give it credit for. The great depression was terrible for most people, but society still held itself together for the most part. Sure there will probably be some civil unrest, and maybe even a few riots or something (more likely in places like Wall Street or DC), but full scale collapse of society or civil war, I doubt it.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    chicken-little-galileo.jpg

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Quick, become a "Prepper" and get on reality TV...mostly nope, but we will have some hard times ahead.

And exactly what has that Colorado resident been smoking out there, oh never mind, it is legal now. :conehead::conehead:

And why would someone in Colorado be informed of this and the rest of us in the dark, not enlightened with the "Facts/Truth" GOVT coverup right?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Financial collapse is possible, and if it happened then there would probably be some hard times for the big cities as inflation went up like a skyrocket and food was extremely high priced.

The rest; sounds like the guy has been spending time on InfoWars.com website.

Most likely scenario I see in the future is something like another Bundy ranch standoff that goes sideways because of a trigger happy fed shooting someone(s). That would/could get real ugly fast. Too many people remember Ruby Ridge and Waco and have said, "Never Again!". That would trigger a huge fed response that would be like throwing gasoline on a bonfire.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Financial collapse is possible, and if it happened then there would probably be some hard times for the big cities as inflation went up like a skyrocket and food was extremely high priced.

The rest; sounds like the guy has been spending time on InfoWars.com website.

Most likely scenario I see in the future is something like another Bundy ranch standoff that goes sideways because of a trigger happy fed shooting someone(s). That would/could get real ugly fast. Too many people remember Ruby Ridge and Waco and have said, "Never Again!". That would trigger a huge fed response that would be like throwing gasoline on a bonfire.

I agree that's more likely most of the unrest would be in the urban areas. One reason I don't live there.
    On the Bundy type thing, I think that would most likely remain localized. But who knows. One must always beware the echo chamber but I sense a deep seated frustration across the land with our distant imperial capitol, passing whatever laws they want to without regard to the Constitution.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    I see another citizen/fed standoff that goes sideways a lot like throwing a rock in a pond. Big splash on impact and lots of ripples reverberating out and back. Starting as a local event, pent up frustration and hatred/fear of fedgov could easily start lots more smaller incidents a long ways away from the initial 'splash'. Throw in a Predator or Reaper drone Hellfire missile into the mix killing us 'civvies', and ALL bets are off. In that case, being in a fed uniform or vehicle could become interesting.

Use of armed drones to put down big riots is in the law already. It's in that mess of Homeland Security labyrinth of laws. Too lazy to look it up now, but Holder was also quoted as saying it could be an option with the Bundy ranch standoff when that was in progress. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    I hope and pray for a federal default, and better yet, a bankruptcy. Don't worry about the dollar losing its place - if we go under so does everybody else, and everybody else's currency as well. In a "global economy," if the big dogs sneeze, everybody else catches cold. The good news is the federal government's credit rating would be ruined for the next hundred years. The "banksters" won't loan us a dime, and Washington won't be able to give away savings bonds and treasury bills. Lo and behold, the government would be absolutely forced to live within its means. There wouldn't be any credit for wars, and the totalitarian-progressive agenda. Existing entitlements would have to be partially privatized to survive at all. Bribing the 47% for their low-information votes would be impossible.

The only hope for generating wealth would be restoring capitalism, and putting a lid on the agencies that have regulated us into the worst economy in almost a century. Coal would be liberated, energy independence would be an inescapable priority - eco-chondriacs would be thrown under the bus. Tax reform, focusing on generating economic recovery instead of social engineering would be a necessity. Education reform, especially K-12, would have to be restructured to emphasize real knowledge instead of indoctrination - the government won't be able to afford welfare as we know it now, so every kid would have to graduate with a marketable skill. Time to hit the books.

Immigration reform! Sorry refugees, can't afford you any more. Forget the dream act nonsense and anchor babies, free education, and all that. We will be actually enforcing the law from now on. Every American needs a job and a half, so you're outta here.

Tough love for sure. But a federal bankruptcy would result in the greatest transfer of power from the government to the individual since the Revolution. A government forced to concentrate solely on absolute necessities, forced to prioritize every dollar it spends, will be cutting the bureaucracy to pieces. A flat tax is easier and cheaper to enforce than a progressive one, so say good-bye to half the IRS. The states can take over environmental protection, and all that land the feds are hoarding will have to be sold.

There'll be enough for defense, but not for offense unless it really is defense. Our allies will be on their own - they will have to militarize at their own expense. Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and The Philippines, will all have to go nuclear, and come to some arrangement among themselves to contain Red China. We won't be in a position to handcuff Israel anymore, so the Arabs and Persians had better watch out - their next intifada might be their last. The EU will be just as economically weak as we would be, so the Islamization of Europe would be over with. Just like our illegal immigrants, Europe's are outta there.

Of course, all this might be exactly what the more esoteric liberal thinkers actually want. On the top floor of their ivory towers, it might just be the plan. We have already tried the Age of Barter (goods exchanged for goods), the Age of Precious Metals (goods exchanged for gold or silver), the Age of Money (goods exchanged for currency) and now we are nearing the end of the Age of Credit (goods exchanged for I.O.U.s). Nothing yet has resulted in the desired redistribution of wealth. What's next? Who knows? As the economies of the USA, China and the EU unravel, money itself, the great obstacle to their ultimate goal of equality of outcomes, may be declared obsolete and replaced with Heaven only knows what. But you can be sure that if progressives are in charge, we'll each get the same slice of the pie, no matter what we do to earn it, or not. And that too, will fail.

The future ain't what it used to be.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,544 Senior Member
    I'm from Colorado, and yes.......the end is near. We were hoping you guys would be caught unaware, but apparently the cat's out of the bag.

Speaking of bags....I hope yours is full and you make a run to the mountains. Yeah.......that.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,147 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    ......The rest; sounds like the guy has been spending time on InfoWars.com website.......
    :win: :win: :win:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    :win: :win: :win:

I go there for the humor. And there's plenty of it! :rotflmao:

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    I'm gonna sing The Doom Song now. . .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqcn_TPu4qQ&feature=kp

:zzzz:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I agree with the exception.....folks today...ain't the same folks of the depression era. A similar collapse would be far worse, me thinks.

I agree that the great depression tempered the steel of the greatest generation that was necessary to fight WWII. But we get our share of tornadoes here and what happens is, after the storm passes, people crawl out from under the rubble, do a head count and look for the missing. then out come the chainsaws and other equipment.
    In other words, folks pull together. Society does not break down. In fact it draws folks closer together.

Of course this is no comparison to if suddenly the lights went out in Chicago. But i bet most neighbors would get along. But whether or not they do or don't is no concern of mine.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Found a Washington Times article that outlines some of the stuff about using military to quell civil disturbances. Interesting reading.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/28/inside-the-ring-directive-outlines-obamas-policy-t/

A 2010 Pentagon directive on military support to civilian authorities details what critics say is a troubling policy that envisions the Obama administration’s potential use of military force against Americans.

The directive contains noncontroversial provisions on support to civilian fire and emergency services, special events and the domestic use of the Army Corps of Engineers.

The troubling aspect of the directive outlines presidential authority for the use of military arms and forces, including unarmed drones, in operations against domestic unrest.

“This appears to be the latest step in the administration’s decision to use force within the United States against its citizens,” said a defense official opposed to the directive.

Directive No. 3025.18, “Defense Support of Civil Authorities,” was issued Dec. 29, 2010, and states that U.S. commanders “are provided emergency authority under this directive.”

“Federal military forces shall not be used to quell civil disturbances unless specifically authorized by the president in accordance with applicable law or permitted under emergency authority,” the directive states.

“In these circumstances, those federal military commanders have the authority, in extraordinary emergency circumstances where prior authorization by the president is impossible and duly constituted local authorities are unable to control the situation, to engage temporarily in activities that are necessary to quell large-scale, unexpected civil disturbances” under two conditions.

The conditions include military support needed “to prevent significant loss of life or wanton destruction of property and are necessary to restore governmental function and public order.” A second use is when federal, state and local authorities “are unable or decline to provide adequate protection for federal property or federal governmental functions.”

“Federal action, including the use of federal military forces, is authorized when necessary to protect the federal property or functions,” the directive states.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/28/inside-the-ring-directive-outlines-obamas-policy-t/#ixzz33IkRJlpp
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    Horsey, I don't necessarily agree with your assessment of the impacts of debt default. Ironically, it tends to INCREASE the creditworthiness of a nation, largely because they've been freed from crippling interest payments on past debts. Also, because the country just defaulted the likelihood of another is very low at least for a long time. The reason it won't happen though (at least in any direct manner) is that the debt represents over $10T in wealth held largely by wealthy Americans and large global banks. Two of the most powerful and politically connected groups would never allow that to happen.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Horsey, I don't necessarily agree with your assessment of the impacts of debt default. Ironically, it tends to INCREASE the creditworthiness of a nation, largely because they've been freed from crippling interest payments on past debts. Also, because the country just defaulted the likelihood of another is very low at least for a long time. The reason it won't happen though (at least in any direct manner) is that the debt represents over $10T in wealth held largely by wealthy Americans and large global banks. Two of the most powerful and politically connected groups would never allow that to happen.

I might be right, you might be right, we'll only find out if we do it. And for that, I'll continue to hope and pray.
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Those legends were propagated by some author trying to sell books. I can't remember the name but the radio commercials were always playing a year or so back. It was just another fear mongering ad that took "plausible" scenarios and made them fact. "When the US dollar loses the world currency benchmark, well no longer be able to print money and inflation will rise a billion (exaggeration) percent".
    However, if for some reason we did have a large enough war or recession to where the government couldn't pick up the slack like they're doing now with buy backs from the last financial oops, then I fear we'll be in uncharted territory. And that goes for all areas. Think about how many government workers would be out of work, or how many gov funded projects would stall. The biggest challenge is trying to figure out what could cause such a fund drain.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    The world has been ending since the caveman. People who prep and wait for doom and gloom will soon find themselves old and gray wishing they just enjoyed life instead of wasting their miserable lives and money on the latest survival gear and loner lifestyle. We ALL have a date with the Reaper ...why waste it on trying to believe we're all gonna live forever and ever cause we have a Coleman multi-fuel stove and an AR?

Btw... preppers who think they're gonna "survive" the might of the military, looters, gangs etc. are looney tunes ...gotta sleep sometime and a 0.25 cent molotov will make short work of that $10,000.00 ammo and food hoard.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
    Hey, I read a book back in the (80s ?) called the 'Money Changers' does that qualify me to predict our economic future? :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    yes
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    In reply to your thread title, no.

No zombies either. Sorry, apocalypse preppers.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    Man if anybody on here could predict the future like that they probably wouldn't be on here wasting time. They'd be traveling the world in luxury doing whatever they wanted to do. Because they'd already be so filthy rich they wouldn't know what to do with their money.

However, stranger things have happened in the past so we must always plan for the worst-hope for the best. But if we did have a global melt down, I believe the U.S. would be about the best place to ride it out.

What worries me more right now is an attack on our power grid. Seems the powers that be aren't prepared for that. If that happened we would go back about 100 years in the blink of an eye. Predators and opportunist would come out of the woodwork. Things we take for granted such as clean water, electricity, and food would be history.

To survive such a scenario we would have to adapt and real fast. All those anti gunners would be kissing our butts too. Because all the rift raft would be looting and killing with no thought of tomorrow. This would leave us open to foreign invasion. We would have to band together in groups to defend ourselves. But those of us who are already armed and have a stock pile of ammo would be far better off than those anti gunners. They would be left defenseless and would be targets of the unscrupulous opportunists.

Also, we would have to figure out how to get food, clean water, and many other necessities. We would have to find ways to keep warm in winter and cool in summer. We might be without medical care in certain areas and without medicines. Life would get real hard real fast. Maybe the Mormons aren't so dumb after all. They try to keep a years supply of food and medicines in store.

Also, a good dependable gasoline or diesel generator would be good to have, along with a few drums of diesel and/or gasoline, which ever is appropriate to your needs. Maybe a couple of generators would be good to have, one for an emergency back up.

The big problem with all this though is that most won't have planned for this so many will fall in with the unruly masses and will be looking for an easy way out. So even those who had planned for the worst will have a very hard time, not only struggling to make it day to day, but to defend themselves from the hoards of the masses. If this happens it won't be pretty.
    ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Well, without Mrs Chief's insulin and my heart meds we are gonna be DRT within a few weeks if the :fan::fan: , but I''l try to plug a few BGs for humanity before I go, if I can. :guns::guns::guns:
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,280 Senior Member
    If you have a power grid failure and you are smart enough to have a generator and a bunch of fuel, I suspect said generator would be a target for thieves. Could you put it in the garage and run an exhaust pipe outside? When we were w/o power for a week in 2011, it was totally quiet at night except for those dang generators. Guy up the road had a big industrial one on a truck that was quite loud.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Optimists can never predict the future, however pessimists have done the math.
    horselips wrote: »
    Optimists can never predict the future, however pessimists have done the math.

And tell me just when in our history have the pessimist predicted the future and saved themselves with their preparations? I think a lot of pessimist are in the Survival Gear/How-To book/video business. Besides some common sense items for hurricanes/tornadoes/ice storms I doubt most of that stuff they stockpile will ever be used...good thing it has a long shelf life!
    There used to be an Army phrase, coined by a general Blanchard in the 70s called "Peace Through Readiness" which makes sense to this day. Unfortunately, America is sliding from being a strong respected country like we once were.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    Chief, you're arguing with someone who thinks a .22 rimfire is just dandy for self defense.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Chief, you're arguing with someone who thinks a .22 rimfire is just dandy for self defense.

By the time we are done with him, he will graduate up to a .410 :tooth: :guns::guns::guns:
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 380 Member
    One of the big issues with the 17 plus trillion in debt is that it has been heavily monetized, which may be ending. Another issue is no will by either party to cut back, let alone balance the budget or run at a surplus.

There could be a major "correction", or the current inflation and gradual decrease in purchasing power could keep on keeping on.

There are several big "bubbles" out there. The "student loan bubble" big. The social security/retirement bubble is humongous.