SGT Bergdahl freed after 5 years as a POW

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,379 Senior Member
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/31/us-detainee-freed-in-afghanistan/9809219/

The only remaining POW from the current conflicts is being returned home. I can't imagine the hell of being in enemy hands for five years. Better late than never.

Return with Honor.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,067 Senior Member
    I can't imagine how the hell he got captured.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Matt.. There is a crap ton more to the story than what the news is showing right now. Let's just say though he wasn't exactly held against his will....
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Sumptin smell vewy vewy fwishy.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    Matt.. There is a crap ton more to the story than what the news is showing right now. Let's just say though he wasn't exactly held against his will....

Suffice it to say I know the controversy behind his capture and whether or not it was a capture, and here's my take on it: The circumstances of his capture are irrelevant to his rescue and return. It is absolutely crucial that all captured American POWs and detainees be brought back, regardless of the circumstances pertaining to how they ended up in captivity, and if punishment is necessary then carry it out within our borders. Sacrificing a service member to the altar of public opinion and speculation is a betrayal to all of us.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,119 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I can't imagine how the hell he got captured.

It is said, rightly or wrongly, that he just simply wandered off post one night,
    without any sort of weapon on him, and was captured (?) a short time later.

That's it.

That's all I got.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Well this is a surprise................................... not!!!!

Taliban's Mullah Omar celebrates prisoner-swap 'victory'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27655312

''Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar has issued a rare public statement hailing the exchange of five Guantanamo Bay detainees for a Taliban-held US soldier as a "big victory".''

I wonder who the next innocent doctor, nurse, aid worker, tourist, wife, husband, son, daughter or, god forbid, combatant is picked up and held.

Do your people not know history.......DO NOT BARGAIN WITH TERRORISTS.

We have been dealing with the likes of these bar-stewards for a long................... long time.

Read my lips...........IT DOES NOT WORK !!!

......... Sacrificing a service member to the altar of public opinion and speculation is a betrayal to all of us.

No disrespect meant mate, I can see where you are coming from.

But You Will Reap What You Sow.

PS.

''US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel has defended the exchange amid criticism Congress was not given 30 days' notice before the detainees were released.

He said the US had to act quickly to save the soldier's life.''

A lot quicker than Benghazi.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,739 Senior Member
    Looks like our bad president has set another bad precedent.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    Taliban be thinking...........Oh......lookie........we can snatch up 1 US solider, who has fecal matter for brains, and we can trade him for 5 of our top leaders, being held in Gitmo..........I wonder what we can get for a diplomat or a prized doctor?
    olesniper wrote: »
    Looks like our bad president has set another bad precedent.

''Lawyers and judges often look for a precedent that can be used as a guide for a similar case.''

Your man did not look too hard, me thinks.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    Please don't read anything into my question as it is just that, a question.

Is there any chance that an innocent person or a U.S soldier might be killed as a result of the release of these 5 enemy combatants?

And if that happens, how will Sgt. Bergdahl feel?

It's just a crappy situation all the way around.

But yeah, I certainly wish all soldiers could be home right now.
    That's all I got.

Paul
    PFD wrote: »

Is there any chance that an innocent person or a U.S soldier might be killed as a result of the release of these 5 enemy combatants?

100%....................many
    PFD wrote: »
    ......Is there any chance that an innocent person or a U.S soldier might be killed as a result of the release of these 5 enemy combatants?......

olesniper wrote: »
    100%....................many

Ask Congressman Peter T. King about the death of twenty-eight-year-old Kenneth Salvesen.

And I quote;
    "the difference between the IRA and Al Qaeda is that the IRA never killed Americans."

1985: “If civilians are killed in an attack on a military installation, it is certainly regrettable, but I will not morally blame the I.R.A. for it.”

Nick Spanos and Stephen Melrose were Australian tourists shot dead in the Netherlands by the Provisional IRA (IRA) on 27 May 1990. The IRA claimed to have mistaken them for off-duty British soldiers. The attack was part of an IRA campaign in mainland Europe.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    While I'm glad we got our guy back, it sounds like we swapped Osama Bin Laden's personal Goering, Himmler, Heydrich, Eichmann, and Hess in exchange for "Private Billy Bob".

We've basically just legitimized the Taliban by negotiating this exchange, and publicly declared the weakness of our national resolve by agreeing to such a thing. Strategically bad. . . very, VERY bad. :bang:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    I was joking with Mrs Chief when we saw it on the news and said if I were in charge of the GITMO prisoners I'd tell them they had to get a dental exam before the exchange and implant a tracking device/chip in every one of them. And soon as they got anywhere near a group of terrorist/camp or an attacked site or suspected of participating in an attack, I'd send in the drones with a Hellfire missile right to their implant!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Matt my point is that he was not a POW...he was there on his own initiative. Heck look at the tweeter feed his dad is putting out. His dad is in on it too! They are Taliban sympathizes.

All the resources, life, and time we wasted on the the top five we traded for him? Are fraking kidding me. That and POTUs just crapped on every man and woman that gave time, some them their lives, and dedication to capturing those top tier targets. I am physically sickened by the idea people think this guy is a hero and deserves anything but a bullet...

Today the Westboro baptist church was here protesting his return. I almost joined them.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    Why didn't we send a Hellfire missile to the swap site, and swat the good "sergeant" and all his Taliban buddies in one big bang? Whose army promotes a deserter while he's AWOL?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    W Whose army promotes a deserter while he's AWOL?
    Jerry

Obamas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    Well, Obammy wants to close GITMO ( a perfect place to keep them BTW), he couldn't because nobody/states wants their goat smelling butts in the US proper to put on trial/imprison so he lets 5 go for an American soldier held captive and does a deal with the devils to brag about and try and make him look good caring for our military and trying to appease the ISLAMOFACIST at the same time.

He sees it as a Win Win situation and a way to take the heat off everything else they have screwed up from the IRS/Benghazi/ VA and so forth.

Don't know how this latest political maneuver will play out with the American people and Congress.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    I also feel if the soldier broke any military laws he should be punished by the UCMJ, not the Tallywhackerban who used him as a bargaining chip, so I'm glad he is home.

Eventually, we will learn more. I'm witholding my complete judgement until then.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I've got mixed feelings about this exchange, as most here do.

Yes, I'm happy that the guy is now free and home.

But FIVE very nasty killers were exchanged for him.

It sets a precedent that may lead to more kidnappings.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,009 Senior Member
    This is starting to sound like a season of "Homeland"!! Let's see if he runs for congress!!
    I was unaware of the strange things his father said and his behavior while in captivity, plus what his fellow soldiers are saying about him. Doesn't sound good.
    You should see the stuff his father is saying now.

You know some of that unit has had to sign NDAs.

The really really funny thing is... How many VA stories do see in the news now
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    The really really funny thing is... How many VA stories do see in the news now

Bread and circuses.....
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Squirrel!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Sam:
    Isn't the guy still in Germany being worked over by the shrinks.

I still expect a court-martial.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Next time it is KIA for Taliban leaders. Our drones need a work out. Drone pilots get rank upgrade for every Taliban leader turned into dog food. :worthy: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I was unaware of the strange things his father said and his behavior while in captivity, plus what his fellow soldiers are saying about him. Doesn't sound good.

If there is an ounce of truth to what is just in Wikipedia then it sounds like he wasn't worth the gas it took to fly him out of there.

If.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    Apparently, six of his fellow soldiers died while participating in search & rescue operations in the area after he disappeared. As soon as a checkpoint got set up, it would be attacked. Coincidence?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,482 Senior Member
    The more I hear about this, the more I smell a rat. I'm even hearing that this soldier was a collaborator with the Taliban.

I wonder if the army will convene a court martial proceeding against him?

As for the 6 soldiers who died trying to rescue Bergdahl, I wonder how their parents feel about this? BTW, that's a rhetorical question.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.